All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ariesmk
join:2009-07-03

ariesmk

[DSL] SmartRG Bridge Mode

What's the easiest way to throw the SR505n into bridge mode? I want my router to handle PPPoE, DHCP, etc.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

You can just delete the default WAN PPPoE interface and create a bridged one instead.
ariesmk

ariesmk

Thanks, rocca.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to ariesmk

to ariesmk
How do you like the SmartRG? Can you share some screenshots of the line stats page?
ariesmk

ariesmk

It's alright. The DHCP server doesn't seem to play nice with one of my computers and I also only seem to be getting 7 mbps up. Here are the line stats..

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by ariesmk:

It's alright. The DHCP server doesn't seem to play nice with one of my computers and I also only seem to be getting 7 mbps up.

I'm curious how you make out in bridge mode, and what that 7mbps upload is all about. I'm sure Senor Rocca will chime in soon.

I'm on a stinger over here (strike 1) and together with the previous modem issues (strike 2+3) has kept me from VDSL.

Thanks in advance for any notes and insights you provide.

Mike

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

Senor Rocca

I'm Senor Rocca! And I'm so ill! (sorry, couldn't resist)

The 7Mbps upload is dictated by the DSLAM, ie the SmartRG nor any other modem isn't going to be able to alter that and it's simply a matter of line conditions and/or Bell equipment preventing a 10Mbps upload. I would suspect that our qualification tool would give an advanced warning of this - ie in most cases where this applies it is known in advance and presented on our qualification tool.

As for bridged mode, just delete the WAN PPPoE interface, create a bridged one and voila.
rocca

rocca

Premium Member

Hmm, although modem stats seem like it should be attainable. Just looked at your account and it's still assigned, looks like you're scheduled for completion on the 16th. After that time if you're still on the 7Mbps profile just PM me and I'll see if the 10Mbps profile is an option for you. (can't check yet as the order isn't completed)
ariesmk

ariesmk

Yeah, No problem. I wasn't going to say anything 'til after the 16th, but since he asked I thought I would mention it. Bell probably threw me on an old stinger remote, most likely giving the TPIA the old screw , since there's a 7330 down the road. Just out of curiosity, does all DSL traffic route through London? And it seems like all transit routes over Bell/Bell Nexxia, even for transit providers such as nLayer.

Anyways, thanks again rocca.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

The DSL is currently terminated in London still although the process to move that to Toronto is underway. We're in the middle of an unrelated upgrade in London as well which is expected to complete end of this month at which time you'll see complete diversity back in London. (although anything that is 'on net' any of our peers you should see through Toronto still)

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I wonder what path0 and path1 are. Maybe this modem can be used for pair bonding?

The Sagemcom has a similar thing in its stats.

And I concur, the line stats support 10 meg up, you just have the wrong profile.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

The Huawei HG610 that I use also has path 0 and path 1.

DSL latency: Path0 Path1
PTM priority: Normal Priority: High Priority:
ariesmk

ariesmk

Whelp, Bell never showed up(not surprised). I'm going to hook up my router, throw the modem in bridge mode, and report back .

rocca, is there anyway to twist Bell's arm and try to get them to change my profile, to get a little higher upload? I know 3mbps isn't much, but it really helps out when streaming. Also, is there any ETA on move to toronto?

Sorry for the 50 questions, and thanks again.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

The order says 'customer not available for technician visit' on it, but I swear I saw that before the install date. The order is still marked as assigned so I can't do anything with the profile yet. I'll put in a ticket with our support team for them to followup on it.
ariesmk

ariesmk

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's a bit frustrating to sit here for 5 hours and then be told you weren't available. Mostly everything is done anyways, I just need them to mark the installation as completed.

So far the modem seems to be working great in bridge mode, no hiccups(crosses fingers).

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to ariesmk

Premium Member

to ariesmk
Is there maybe another stat page that shows what remote type you're on, or maybe the VDSL2 profile like 12A or 17A?

Maybe if its got telnet access there's a way to fetch the info.
mclearn
join:2004-02-07
Toronto, ON

mclearn to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

You can just delete the default WAN PPPoE interface and create a bridged one instead.

Sorry, can you elaborate - maybe this will be obvious when I get into the config, but how do you create a bridged interface?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I don't have one in front of me unfortunately so going from memory, please excuse any minor deviations. When you go into the WAN config you'll see an existing entry for the PPPoE interface. Click on the checkbox and Delete, then create a new entry and pick the option that isn't PPPoE (I don't recall the specific option, but it's relatively obvious), it should default the vlan to 35, if not, do so. Save, and that should be it. If you get stuck let me know and I'll pull some step-by-step screenshots tomorrow.
planiwa
join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S

planiwa

I had an SR50N in my hands today (I suppose it's really my own, since I paid for it). But since that installation is tomorrow, I refrained from taking it away and checking it out. Tomorrow I expect to have another one, and I will have it for over a week before its Install. So I'll be able to check it out thoroughly. (I've steered 2 friends to Start thus far, although I'm still with Bell myself. )

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We'll win you over from the dark side yet.
mclearn
join:2004-02-07
Toronto, ON

mclearn to rocca

to rocca
It ended up asking for a link level 2 device - I chose atm at first, but couldn't get that to work. I then tried ptm. After farting around a bit, it finally worked by setting the first 802.1p setting to "0" (could choose between 0 and 7) and the second VLAN ID to 35.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Yes, 802.1p, thanks - couldn't remember off hand what the two options were. Glad you got it working, if you need anything else just let me know.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

I'm curious.

It doesn't appear firmware updates are available for this unit. Do you know if that will change? Or is that something that consumers can't do with this unit? Do you and/or other ISPs retain the ability to update this unit's firmware remotely?

Mike

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

It doesn't appear firmware updates are available for this unit. Do you know if that will change? Or is that something that consumers can't do with this unit? Do you and/or other ISPs retain the ability to update this unit's firmware remotely?

It is pretty unlikely that Bell will push firmware on behalf of third party providers. That said, end users can generally apply DSL firmware updates, so it isn't a fundamental problem the way it is with cable modems.

Maybe they just haven't released a new firmware for this unit?

akmeikle
join:2013-01-28
Ottawa, ON

akmeikle to ariesmk

to ariesmk
said by ariesmk:

It's alright. The DHCP server doesn't seem to play nice with one of my computers and I also only seem to be getting 7 mbps up. Here are the line stats..

Were you getting 7 megs up BEFORE you switched to bridge mode?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Maybe they just haven't released a new firmware for this unit?

That's my understanding. But I've asked for clarification as well.
rocca

rocca

Premium Member

Confirmed, user-upgradable.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by rocca:

Confirmed, user-upgradable.

And isp-not-upgradable, right?

Mike

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Anyone get hooked up on one of these new modems on a Stinger yet?

mauty
@64.140.124.x

mauty to rocca

Anon

to rocca
I just spent an hour trying to get this new modem into bridge mode with no success. Used the settings as indicated in the thread but could not get my router to connect over PPPoE... help?