All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
oldsam
join:2011-05-30

oldsam

Is it a bad time to change ISPs?

I've been with Teksavvy for a few years now, but unfortunately I can no longer stick with them. Service has so far been excellent, only two outages in almost three years, but the upload speeds offered by TS are just not cutting it.

I've been eyeing Start's plans for a few weeks now, and I think I'm finally convinced to make the move to the 35/10 cable plan. However, like most of you know, Rogers is screwing Teksavvy pretty hard with installations and modem activations, so I was wondering if that would affect my transition. I can tolerate a week or less of no internet, but that's pretty much it. Should I wait until this shitstorm is over?
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

I think this thread will answer your question in regards to transfers: »FAQ Cable transfers

There is never a bad time for transferring as long as you follow the procedure and read the above FAQ.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Guru here - Short of having a service outage, i'd wait out this one as the Cable transfer still has to be coordinated through Rogers' ticket system, and we all know they're not exactly being the best right now at acknowledging TekSavvy submitted tickets.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

according to marc from tsi it seems as if rogers is starting to respond to the tickets from tsi, don't know if it was tsi or bad publicity(as if rogers cares) that made rogers move the arses

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to oldsam

to oldsam
it's never a bad time to switch ISPs if you feel you aren't getting the proper service or stability. there are options too when moving to another ISP that let you keep both services to overlap until you're satisfied with the move, however it's also possible to do it with some ISPs for free and waive the 'install/move' fee but that means a possible 1-2 day outage if you're going to use the same modem.

Hmm
@videotron.ca

Hmm to oldsam

Anon

to oldsam
Have you asked in the Start forum, »Start.ca, if there are issues with transfers? If not, then make the jump.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to oldsam

to oldsam
Can they actually transfer the service? Way back in the day I was on teksavvy DSL (in western Canada) and switch to Telus. The service had to be disconnected with teksavvy before telus would hook it up. I ended up not having internet for a few days.

Maybe the cable industrsy is a bit more favourable?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

DSL can't be transferred, cable can. some provide a discount or a free transfer while others charge it as an install fee.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to oldsam

Premium Member

to oldsam
I'm with corster See Profile on this one. I'd sit tight for a bit. I'm with Start, and I'm too bloody scared to even ask for a speed change for fear I'd lose my connection for 5 Rogers' business days (you know, 4 - 6 weeks).

Mike

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

You can not transfer from TPIA-TPIA using the transfer tarrif. The transfer tariff/feature only applies to Incumbent-TPIA account changes.

TPIA-TPIA provider changes are always a closed account, and then a new account.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by BTC Kevin:

You can not transfer from TPIA-TPIA using the transfer tarrif. The transfer tariff/feature only applies to Incumbent-TPIA account changes.

TPIA-TPIA provider changes are always a closed account, and then a new account.

you can transfer from TPIA to TPIA. Start accepts transfers from any TPIA and waives the fee entirely. Other ISPs don't waive the fee and some might not even allow transfers, but that's their choice.

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

That is not a Transfer as per the Tariffs, you are doing a new order.

Start is simply eating the new order activation Tariff when you switch. that is a promotional discount on activation. when switching.

it does make it seem like you are transferring, but it is not in reality. It's a new account order, and doesn't have the benefits of transfers.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

no, there is a difference between a transfer and a new install. while the fees are the same, a transfer doesn't require a Rogers tech to show up at your door while an install does even if the line is already active and even if you already have service with a TPIA or Rogers.

furthermore a TPIA can't do "transfer" until the current TPIA or Rogers has confirmed a cancel date, however with a new install it is possible to overlap the services or keep the two services.

so there is a clear difference between "transfer" and "install". i never said it was a tariff requirement, but it is the way things are at least with Rogers (might be different with other providers).