spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Fionnmaccool
join:2013-08-12

Fionnmaccool

FTTH 50/50 - Getting 30ish/25ish

Hi,

Recently had FTTH installed, and I'm only getting about 30-35 down and 25ish up running wireless from the Sagencom (installed in same room as my Mac). I have an ASUS AC66U...any thoughts on whether that will be better? I've read a few threads, but I'm still unsure of the best way to set the ASUS up. Anyone have any experience using a different router? I have Fibe TV as well, not sure if that limits me in some way.

thanks

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin

Premium Member

In Wifi max 37mbit/s it's normal, with ethernet cable it's not normal.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Fionnmaccool

to Fionnmaccool
Def normal speeds over wireless, if your computer only has a wireless g card the max it can support is 50mbps and most of the built in wireless cards wont support that. Try buying a wireless n usb adapter and make sure your router is wireless n.

Also, are you getting your full speeds over ethernet?
Fionnmaccool

Fionnmaccool

My router on my mac is wireless N.

Connecting via ethernet gives me 50 down and 35 up.

I'm a little discouraged that I lose almost 50% of the advertised speed going wireless, especially when I specifically asked the tech this exact question.

When I was on Rogers express 25mbit running wirelessly through my Asus RT-AC66U I got the full 25 consistently. Now I struggle to get 30, sometimes significantly lower and very inconsistent on a plan advertised at 50/50. Kinda pointless to switch to be honest at these speeds. This leads me to believe the Sagencom is the problem. Can I skip the Sagencom and run the Asus at least for the internet and leave the TV on the Sagencom? Or both through the Asus?

thanks

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207 to Fionnmaccool

to Fionnmaccool
Try a wired connection first. What kind of ping are you reading?

I have Wireless N on my laptop. You won't get 50/50 but it should be in the 40s at least for both if you are close to the Sagemcom. I usually run my laptop with a Cat6 ethernet cable connected to D-Link DGS-1005G Gigaswitch (Cat6 as well from switch to Sagemcom), I read over 50/50 all the time with single digit ping.

I have to be using a powerline adapter to read your slow speed.

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin to Fionnmaccool

Premium Member

to Fionnmaccool
The problem comes not Bell but your personal equipment, your wireless network card does not support such a speed. The only laptops I've seen achieve this speed are the Apple MacBook Pro/Air, mine the wifi gives me d/u 51/54.
Fionnmaccool

Fionnmaccool

Airport Extreme 802.11n can't handle 50mbps?
Fionnmaccool

Fionnmaccool to hlo207

to hlo207
Wired gets me 52/35. Wireless 802.11n gets me 30 on average down, sometimes slower, and 25up, also slower sometimes. Modem is 10 feet away from the wireless mac.

Ping wired is 9, wireless is 15 or so.

thanks
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3

said by Fionnmaccool:

Wired gets me 52/35

Open a trouble ticket with bell.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Fionnmaccool

to Fionnmaccool
No most "stock" components in any router or device cant handle 50/50. The sagecom will broadcast it same as if you're on 175/175, but most components won't handle it. Wireless n can theoretically obtain 300mbps, but there are varying degrees within the n qualifications and can qualify as low as 40mbps, also unless using a dual band router, it will adjust to wireless g if you have any g devices which limit you to a top speed of 50 mbps and more realistically around 30.

But if youre still not getting full speed over wired connection then there's an issue somewhere so open a ticket with bell and have a tech come out.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I have 50/10 VDSL and I can get 50 meg down on my Lenovo laptop no prob. It's an intel wifi card but only 2x2 antennas I think it's called 6200.

Router is an apple time capsule 3rd gen.
hybrid02
join:2013-02-06

hybrid02 to Fionnmaccool

to Fionnmaccool
Apple Extreme router can get full speed.
Fionnmaccool

Fionnmaccool

Thanks everyone.
Fionnmaccool

Fionnmaccool

For what it's worth, switched away from the Sagencom to the Asus ac-66u for wireless routing, and I get 50 down 40 up consistently wireless now. Good times.

A non
@videotron.ca

A non

Anon

Poor wireless is a well known issue with sagemcom modem. It is strange though that you were getting 30 up wired but now are getting 40 wireless. Are you doing speedtests on fibrenoir?
demonte21
join:2009-02-20
Mirabel, QC

demonte21 to Fionnmaccool

to Fionnmaccool
I had the port #2 on the ONT open, and I connected my Asus RT-N66U directly to the ONT, You have to go in the setting of your Asus Routeur to set the Vlan to 35 for the Internet. You can Refer to these post to know how to configure your Routeur : »Bell FTTH 175/175 with my own router

If Bell don't want to open the Lan port on the ONT, I think your can still connect your Asus in the Sagemcom in PPPOE and use the Sagemcom as a Bridge.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to Fionnmaccool

to Fionnmaccool
FYI: Wireless-N Speeds top out at about 80mbps, and that's if you have great hardware on both ends.

You can totally expect having just barely better than G speeds on mediocre hardware like the Sagemcom or no-name N-150 USB adapters.

Source: random bits of anecdotal experience