All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to fbruno

to fbruno

Re: Verizon failed to mark out their facilities - fiber now cut

If you notice in the photo, the fiber going into the conduit on the left has the tracer on it. (look at the edge) The fiber going into the UPPER RIGHT conduit does NOT have the tracer on it, therefore the conduit , and fiber on the UPPER RIGHT is NOT traceable.

jjf
@verizon.net

jjf

Anon

does not matter whether tracer is is there or not, verizon is responsible for their lines. period. if marked and hit, it's on the contractor who hit hit, when it comes to pay at the end for the repair, if not marked and after 72 hours is struck, verizon is stuck with the bill. when the lines are placed whether open trench or directional bore a locate wire is to be placed. Verizon does not check on it's sub contractors, at all when this is being done. when a locator comes upon lines with no tracer, they are suppose to call verizon. even their locators are sub contractors, very poor at what they do. if lines are marked, a test hole is require, to verify the mark, usually utility companies have 18" on each side of the mark, total 3 feet. verizon's locators like to place a 5 foot wide of marks, to cover their butts.
jjf

jjf to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
does not matter whether tracer is is there or not, verizon is responsible for their lines. period. if marked and hit, it's on the contractor who hit hit, when it comes to pay at the end for the repair, if not marked and after 72 hours is struck, verizon is stuck with the bill. when the lines are placed whether open trench or directional bore a locate wire is to be placed. Verizon does not check on it's sub contractors, at all when this is being done. when a locator comes upon lines with no tracer, they are suppose to call verizon. even their locators are sub contractors, very poor at what they do. if lines are marked, a test hole is require, to verify the mark, usually utility companies have 18" on each side of the mark, total 3 feet. verizon's locators like to place a 5 foot wide of marks, to cover their butts.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

If you notice in the photo, the fiber going into the conduit on the left has the tracer on it. (look at the edge) The fiber going into the UPPER RIGHT conduit does NOT have the tracer on it, therefore the conduit , and fiber on the UPPER RIGHT is NOT traceable.

The black fiber cable has a tracer wire in it. So the conduit doesn't have to have a tracer wire in it. This is perfectly traceable. Its all the same class and probably came off the same spool. You simply insist that this isn't traceable when no one has ever seen external fiber without it.

ITALIAN926

2 edits

ITALIAN926

said by danclan:

said by ITALIAN926:

The black fiber cable has a tracer wire in it. So the conduit doesn't have to have a tracer wire in it. This is perfectly traceable. Its all the same class and probably came off the same spool. You simply insist that this isn't traceable when no one has ever seen external fiber without it.

Did you read what I wrote? The fiber AND conduit on the upper right of the photo is NOT TRACEABLE.

There are 4 conduits in the photo, the upper right has no traceable mule tape , or traceable fiber. PERIOD. If Verizon , or subcontractor came to mark that one out, THEY WOULDNT.
fbruno
join:2000-04-06
Berwyn, PA

fbruno to danclan

to danclan
It seems to me that having tracing capability embedded in the conduit during manufacturing would be worth the extra upfront money.

It would be cheap insurance against an installer not including a tracer wire during conduit or drop install.
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

There are 4 conduits in the photo, the upper right has no traceable mule tape

Just wondering how you can tell from that grainy photograph that the cable in question has no tracer. It looks like exterior grade fiber ribbon cable to me which of course has a tracer. The quality of the picture however makes it impossible for me to be 100% sure.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926

Your post made me investigate further, and zoomed in by clicking on it. NONE of those fibers have tracers on it. At first glance, I thought the tracer edge was on the ONE fiber present, but I see now there are two on top of each other. Traceable fiber drops have a line on one side , thats where the tracer is.
ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to lijacobs

to lijacobs
Click for full size
Here is what traceable fiber drops look like.

So 2 / 4 of those conduits are traceable, and guess what happens when the next technician pulls another fiber through with the mule tape, and doesnt pull new traceable mule tape through in its absence? You end up with a network of underground conduit that CANNOT be easily traced out.
fbruno
join:2000-04-06
Berwyn, PA

fbruno to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Good catch. As I recall, two drops exit through the lower left conduit to service two houses to the left of the hand hole. There is a small, square hand hole at the first house where the two drops go their separate ways in separate conduits.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Your post made me investigate further, and zoomed in by clicking on it. NONE of those fibers have tracers on it. At first glance, I thought the tracer edge was on the ONE fiber present, but I see now there are two on top of each other. Traceable fiber drops have a line on one side , thats where the tracer is.

1. Conduit doesn't have to be traceable. 2. The tracer can be edge mount or wrap.

All optical cable that's rated for in ground or aerial has tracer wire that I have seen. Never NOT seen one.

You can argue till blue but unless you have actual facts its just speculation on your part. Sorry.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Here is what traceable fiber drops look like.

So 2 / 4 of those conduits are traceable, and guess what happens when the next technician pulls another fiber through with the mule tape, and doesnt pull new traceable mule tape through in its absence? You end up with a network of underground conduit that CANNOT be easily traced out.

I was wondering what that thick cable attached to my fiber was.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to danclan

to danclan
Aerial DOES NOT have tracer wire, and thats what you see in the photos. Except the one I posted.

Got it?
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs

said by ITALIAN926:

Aerial DOES NOT have tracer wire.

The aerial cable that is placed in the neighborhood where I live has a tracer.
fieroloki
join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

fieroloki to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I have installed aerial and burial in the past. Both had a tracer wire. All really depends on code and who is doing it.

jjf
@verizon.net

jjf

Anon

In Delaware, all aerial fiber has no built in tracer, [no need for tracer] which is placed by verizon workers only, no contractors place any main line fiber, verizon's workers pull all main line fiber through duct, contractors verify path way and mule tape for verizon, also no tracer is built into the fiber. Now service lines to houses, verizon does aerial to house, contractors do the dirt work to the house, bore, plow, trench w/trencher, hand dig, and so on. Even the fios line has no tracer, here in Delaware. You would think it would be uniform thru out the states, but it isn't. Here it's done this way, there it's done that way and so on. If verizon didn't pull in main line fiber, nearly all their work would be done by the contractors, which I think verizon is slowly doing. Copper is still placed here in Delaware, in new developments, all placed by contractors. The old bell companies were the best, now this verizon is worse then the tv cable companies, they are the lowest and worst now, here in Delaware. Very sadly run by very inexperience management. Actually, if not for the contractors, verizon would have MAJOR problems here in Delaware.