Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Huge issue in the last 2 days

Over the last 2 days there has been a huge increase in latency and packet loss to sites outside of Cox. The chart below shows this issue. The top chart is to my Cox gateway, so my local connection is fine, the bottom chart is to google and its the worst ive seen in years. What is going on ?

xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

also and im not sure if its related, but Youtube just SUCKS recently. During peak times its close to impossible to use HD.. I have a friend on Century Link and he does not have this problem. However other friends on Cox all have the same problem. This varies with time of day and seems to be duing peak internet usage hours.

Maybe Cox is restricting bandwidth to certain sites ?

I can remote connect to other computers on other providers and Youtube seems fine, but right now Youtube is almost unusable on any resolution except the lowest..

So for sure Cox connections to Youtube are terrible.. Speedtests right not however yield great results..

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Its that 172 IP range I have seen cropping up more and more on latency issues in AZ. I assume its the first hop after your WAN gateway IP, right? I guess they could assign a 172 subnet to anything they wanted, but if it does represent some group of equipment, I think that is where the problem is.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Hmmmm.... So maybe Cox is routing/throttling specific protocols or destinations like youtube.. Its weird cuz its only certain sites, so far i have noticed youtube and google. I dont understand why google can be so horrendously slow tho, it does not really use any bandwidth. Why would you throttle that ? hahahahah maybe its NSA routing and issues..
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

Actually that 172.x address you mention is fine. Thats my top chart. Its the gateway.. I will do more research and figure out what hops is the issue..
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

So I did more graphing and I also was looking at traceroutes. I need to check it again when the problem starts again but it appears the youtube problem was at the last hop. So it seems to be a youtube issue, But I need to double check.. The charting shows the scale of the issue. I would almost think this might be the result of some DDoS attack against youtube.. Maybe they are just overloaded. The top trace is to my local Cox gateway. No issues there. The second trace is to google, you can see the previous issue. The bottom trace is youtube.com and you can see the issue. Also you can see there is no issue with google or the gateway. So it seems isolated to youtube.

vraeden
join:2007-06-21
Gainesville, FL

vraeden to xymox1

to xymox1
Been noticing severe slowness to non-Cox sites as well, not just youtube and Google, but netflix too. I'm in the Central Florida market.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to xymox1

MVM

to xymox1
said by xymox1:

would almost think this might be the result of some DDoS attack against youtube.. Maybe they are just overloaded.

its not anything bad or sinister. no ddos. no filtering. nothing.

per the front page article several weeks back -- there are issues with youtube varied per isp and user.
at this point -- i'm sure its just an issue with their application balancing or something along those lines. i don't know much about the application side of the house -- but just building out the massively scalable datacenters (msdc's) is a delicate balancing act in and of itself.

q.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Yea i agree.. Thats what i figured.. What bothers me a little are the google issues. Google is a vast system that should not be easy to overload. Yet for more then a week google has slowed to a crawl with packetloss..

I guess whats also weird is that so far its either google or youtube. Never both.

Top is ping to my Cox gateway. Middle is google. bottom is youtube..

I would think youtube and google are both very large distributed systems so its kinda crazy to see these issue. Ive been pinging them for 6 years and never seen anything even close.