uniqs
share rss forum feed

flatlinee

join:2013-09-01
Reviews:
·T6 Broadband

[Qwest] Ping issues for gaming?

Hello,

I've been having some ping issues lately. I don't know if it's my ISP or the routing I use (which would be CenturyLink) but this has been going on for almost a month and I want to find out where the problem would be.

I've got a bunch of tracerts linked below so we can hopefully find the server or servers that can't handle a lot of traffic (seeming as my ping spikes most during "primetime" (7-9 cst).

Thanks in advance.

»puu.sh/4p5J5.png
»puu.sh/4p5Fc.png
»puu.sh/4p5Em
»puu.sh/4p5DH
»puu.sh/4p5CN

(keep in mind most of these tracerts are to chicago servers and I live about ~60 miles from Chicago)

metzz

join:2013-08-15
Warsaw, IN
I have been having the same exact issue as you. I live in northern Indiana and usually play on Chicago servers aswell about ~100 miles about a month ago i'd always have about 25ms all the time but now lowest I see is like 50. During peak hours it can get up to 100+. Dunno what the deal is least I know i'm not the only one.

»i.imgur.com/BL7TxBW.png
»i.imgur.com/dZiYwcJ.png

flatlinee

reply to flatlinee
I've bugged my ISP so many times about this I'm pretty sure they're ignoring me, but they sent in a request to CenturyLink about this and they told me that CL said there was nothing wrong with their servers.

Alucard

join:2013-04-20
Minneapolis, MN
reply to flatlinee
Can you post your SNR levels here?

should be in the dsl info tab (depending on which modem you have)

flatlinee

Reviews:
·T6 Broadband

2 edits
reply to flatlinee
Yeah, I can't even find it or my modem control panel, I can find my router control panel but I can't find anything on signal/noise ratios

edit: i'm on belkin if that helps

edit2: I'm not even on DSL, but my connection uses CenturyLink as routing. I don't have any distinct affiliation with them besides the fact that I have to route through their servers

Alucard

Minneapolis, MN
reply to flatlinee
Ok so said belkin ethernet cord should goto a modem whats is the modem called (under the modem)

flatlinee

reply to flatlinee
It is a Cisco SPA122, issued by my ISP about two months ago

Alucard

Minneapolis, MN
spa122 was never part of centurylink

I would contact your isp and ask them about it.

flatlinee

reply to flatlinee
I've talked to them so many times about this and they keep telling me it's out of their network. I know I use centurylink as routing so i came here

Alucard

Minneapolis, MN
Well

email talktous@centurylink.com about your issue but I doubt they will help you

hollywood4

join:2010-03-11
Columbia City, IN
reply to metzz
I live in Columbia City, which is 12 miles east of warsaw and I too am seeing Ping spikes usually starting around 6pm and not usually ending until around 10pm. But, I too, am pinging into a server in Chicago. I called Centurylink on Friday night with Ping times 200ms+. But as soon at 11pm hit, those ping times dropped to 26ms.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to flatlinee
Routing issues are generally handled farther up the line, at the NOCs; unlikely that you can get much help from a forum designed to assist with DSL connectivity issues when you don't have service from the ISP.

Qwest was a Tier 1 transit provider; now owned by CenturyLink. Qwest transit, and AT&T transit, represent a Tier 1 peerage, where they exchange IP traffic "settlement free". This means neither pays the other for data exchange.

I bring up AT&T because your "gavmen.game.nfoservers.com" trace, and your "flatline.game.nfoservers.com" trace, show a Qwest router (not a "server"!) handing off to an AT&T router. It is this point where latency jumps. So is the latency a Qwest problem, or an AT&T problem?

Your remaining traces don't show any problems, given the apparent locations of the destinations. I traced two from my South S.F. Bay Area (California) location, and your results are consistent with mine.

FWIW, neither the CenturyLink, nor the AT&T forums at DSLR can offer much help to non-customers with routing over their respective Tier 1 networks. I am guessing your ISP has to pull CenturyLink's chain, and the gaming servers beyond AT&T will have to pull AT&T's chain, to get resolution.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

flatlinee

Reviews:
·T6 Broadband
reply to flatlinee
I've talked to my ISP several times about this and they've talked to CenturyLink about this and nothing came out of it. It's important to note that I just switched to att.net servers - I had been routing through savvis.net servers (or routers, whatever) for a while while this was going on, so I don't think it's AT+T's fault.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by flatlinee:

It's important to note that I just switched to att.net servers ...

So you control the upstream peering contracts for 'nfoservers.com'? Because that is the implication of your statement: "I just switched ...".
--
Norman

flatlinee

reply to flatlinee
Well, not me myself. I got switched would be the better wording of that.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Ahhh. Crap! Not only code tags, but Unicode are borked on this new forum.

flatlinee

reply to flatlinee
So yeah, bump. It's obvious that several people are having this issue so it has to be something at CenturyLink
Expand your moderator at work

metzz

Warsaw, IN
reply to flatlinee

Re: [Qwest] Ping issues for gaming?

When doing speed test to Chicago I am getting terrible speeds. Should be getting 15 down 1.3 up.

speed test to chicago: »i.imgur.com/9EbHj6x.png

speed test to new york: »i.imgur.com/Q65bOjk.png

someone asked earlier to post snr lvls here's what mine says

»i.imgur.com/IIaIkDU.png

hollywood4

join:2010-03-11
Columbia City, IN
reply to metzz

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to metzz
said by metzz:

I have been having the same exact issue as you.

40 ms to 50 ms end to end, in ~100 mi. as the crow flies, is not a problem. I get the same latency in half that distance.

In any case, you don't appear to be hitting '*.inet.qwest.net' transit, as the OP is.
--
Norman

metzz

Warsaw, IN
Here's a trace route to a Chicago server I play on. A few weeks ago when everything was good I'd always be at 25-30 ms, and now it's always this »i.imgur.com/lNBlCT4.png

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to flatlinee
said by flatlinee:

So yeah, bump. It's obvious that several people are having this issue so it has to be something at CenturyLink

So far, only one other poster has posted a trace route; and he isn't showing Qwest Tier 1 transit, as you are. everyone else is posting speed issues, which suggest aggregation router congestion. Since you aren't even a DSL customer, their issues are not the same as yours.

That is the problem with posting in an ISP user-to-user, mutual self-help connectivity forum; you confuse the ISP customers.

To put this in perspective, CenturyLink is a "Borg Hive" which encompasses:
• Embark (spun off by Sprintlink, I believe).
• Centurytel.
• Qwest (which includes former Bell, USWest).

The other posted trace route starts on Embarq transit ("*.dhcp.embarqhsd.net"), and traverses CenturyLink transit to the destination. You start outside of CenturLink altogether ("*.ospf.t6b.com"), and traverse Qwest transit ("*.inet.qwest.com").

Sorry, but I fail to see any similar issues.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to metzz
said by metzz:

Here's a trace route to a Chicago server I play on. A few weeks ago when everything was good I'd always be at 25-30 ms ...

Your route:
Embarq>CenturyLink>nLayer>"*.scnet.net">"*.choopa.net".

OP's route:
"*.t6b.com">Qwest>"*.pnap.net">: *.nfoservers.com").

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to flatlinee

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.228.110]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    42 ms    42 ms    42 ms  67.238.224.1
  3    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  71.32.28.17
  4    46 ms    42 ms    42 ms  67.14.28.138
  5    42 ms    48 ms    42 ms  65.122.30.210
  6    50 ms    42 ms    43 ms  209.85.252.80
  7    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  72.14.238.253
  8    42 ms    42 ms    42 ms  74.125.228.110

Trace complete.

I don't see what the complaint is about - hell, the fastest I get is 42ms to my first hop - I'd love to be in the teens.

»/testhistory?v ··· c&sort=z

I'm at the very bottom.

Alucard

Minneapolis, MN
reply to flatlinee
7-9 pm are peak times so I wouldn't be surprised if there was lag

once it starts lagging get the server ip on said game and do a tracert

flatlinee

reply to flatlinee
It's not that the pings on the tracerts are bad, because they really aren't. It's the quality and stability of the line--something that's so fast that a tracert can't really catch it unless I do like 30 of them at the same time.

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I also don't see any bad latency across the board. What I consider bad and what someone else does is certainly undefined, but since you're an ISP customer and not a direct CTL customer they're most likely not even going to talk to you, which is their contractual right. If your ISP isn't helping and it is of greatest concern you might want to change ISPs. Not sure if there's anyone other than CTL in your area, but even if you had service with them you could make more of a fuss since you'd actually be their customer. My suggestion is to read a book, spend quality time with your family or anything other than playing games online, but in all seriousness what the hell could be more important than playing Battlefield 2 without lag?!?

flatlinee

Reviews:
·T6 Broadband

1 edit
reply to flatlinee
Well, that certainly got a bit rude towards the end. To be honest I hate the overgeneralization of gamers in today's society; we're not all cheeto-encrusted neckbeards who sit at their computers 24/7. But whatever.

As to the rest of your statement: 1) there are no other ISPs in the area, 2) my ISP has basically told me repeated times to fuck off, and 3) I actually make money from video games so yeah this is kind of a serious issue for me. I don't know why you had to bring up family time during the end but this certainly isn't the place for it.

edit: »puu.sh/4thdM.png woah