ji to flatlinee

Premium Member

to flatlinee

Re: [Qwest] Ping issues for gaming?

Just to confirm you know how to get into your isp issued modem of not here,

. Set your computer to use DHCP
b. Connect the computer to the yellow ETHERNET (LAN) port of the SPA122

2. Access the SPA122:
a. Direct your browser to »192.168.15.1 [You must use Internet Explorer, else some parts of the page will not display]
b. Log in as admin/admin

Check diagnostics in the admin tab and post what it says and look for anything that could say SNR related

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to GetMoney

MVM

to GetMoney
said by GetMoney:

I also don't see any bad latency across the board.

The OP has posted two trace routes (of five) showing a jump in latency in the Qwest Tier 1 transit network ("*.inet.qwest.net"), which would not even be a CenturyLink issue, except that CenturyLink bought Qwest.

Although I would not consider the jumps to be significant, I am not in a position to declare what is "acceptable", other than to note that the increase occurs one hop before going into AT&T Tier 1 transit. And I know that Blizzard Games has issues wth AT&T transit; but I don't know if that could apply in the OP's case.

Unless a CL user can post a trace route showing peering between Qwest ("*.inet.qwest.net") transit and AT&T ("*.ip.att.net") transit, they can't properly compare their CL experience with what the OP has demonstrated.
NormanS

NormanS to ji

MVM

to ji
said by ji:

Just to confirm you know how to get into your isp issued modem of not here ...

Why? OP's issue is beyond his ISP, out in the old Qwest Tier 1 transit network? Everything is looking good between his ISP transit out to "*.inet.qwest.net".

OPdownstairs
@69.197.84.x

OPdownstairs

Anon

All right, I'm on my computer downstairs which is closer to my whole router/modem setup, I'm connected to the Cisco modem and I can't access 192.168.15.1 at all, even in IE, and 192.168.2.1 still directs me to the Belkin router page.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Is this what you have? SPA122 ATA with Router

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· 9933.pdf

Is the computer on the same subnet as the as the SPA122?
OOMJR
join:2011-02-09
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR to metzz

to metzz
I've been having a lot of issues in Avilla, IN. My 1st hop used to be 2ms when I bought CL and was put on FASTMODE.. Now it's around 8ms. Used to ping Chicago for 14ms and now it's 30. I've been having issues like this for the last few years. From what I know, my CO connects through Columbia City to Warsaw then Plymouth, IN onto the internet... Soon they are upgrading my CO to bypass all those extra hops. I feel they have just over sold the area and are slowly upgrading it. It's frustrating when their the only service in my area. Most of it is exhaustion with a little bit of balance load issues at Columbia City and Plymouth. The redback routers have gone out a few times too. Seems overall a lack of equipment. When there is an issue it's usually related to my 1st hop(latency shoots up to 90-100ms and I get half my bandwidth)... which is the redback in plymouth, but after they said they've fixed all the issues my ping isn't back as low as it has been in the past. Just call 24/7 line and complain about it or email talktous@centurylink.com maybe if we keep bothering them, it might catch a higher up persons eye...

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Just curious. What were you pinging on the first hop to get 2ms?
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Well... the 2ms was reported through the line quality test here on DSL reports. But I think it's always been 8ms. And it's to the WAN Gateway IP(redback).

command prompt wan gateway pings should be 8ms for me when it's running correctly. they have fixed that issue but in return my overall pings have gone up. Before the big outage at the beginning of Aug, I as pinging chicago for 14ms 10.11 down and .78 up. Now it runs at 27-40ms with about 10 down and .7ish up. Like I said the 1st hop issue was adding a lot of latency to the issue but they have routed me through some extra hops now that adds some extra latency. I'm still in contact with IHD escalations and my local tech for updates. End of next month I should be on a new backbone out of the CO and running smoother and eventually with higher speed packages... We'll see though...
flatlinee
join:2013-09-01

flatlinee

Yeah, it's on the same subnet. Still isn't working.

Internet was fine all day today until around 7 (aka around now). Just a bunch of line noise, I guess, which sucks.
GetMoney
join:2010-06-11

GetMoney

said by flatlinee:

Yeah, it's on the same subnet. Still isn't working.

Internet was fine all day today until around 7 (aka around now). Just a bunch of line noise, I guess, which sucks.

I apologize for my snooty remarks about your gaming profession. I shouldn't be so insensitive to others problems. I agree with the suggestion of trying a third party modem. Would you consider that? Are you paying a lease fee to CTL right now?

shadowfoxx
@63.240.138.x

shadowfoxx

Anon

Bandwidth Exhaustion issue in north east Indiana. Was told in February the issue was going to be resolved in March. Last week I was told that the issue will be resolved in October. I don't believe anything they say at this point. Currently exploring alternative ISPs.
flatlinee

flatlinee

Bump. My pings have been getting better during primetime recently; I'm still getting spikes but they're more rare. Did talk to talktous@centurylink.com and we're currently exploring the issue.
flatlinee

flatlinee

Bump again; thought it was fixed but now it seems to be on the fritz again. Was getting ping spikes at 2 in the morning which I thought was odd; thinking it might be my motherboard since it's been causing me problems lately. Gonna get a new one in about a week or so, will update when it's all installed.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

Hey there flatlinee, sorry we haven't been on in a while. We're more than happy to help look into this for you and see what the connection trouble is. Can you send your account information and details to us directly at TalkToUs@centurylink.com? Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you--AshleyKay

Grandscheme
@rylinkservices.net

Grandscheme

Anon

I'm out in NC and can't play Rift anymore. I used to idle at 75ms which is fine, now it Idles at 200ms which I guess would be acceptable if it weren't for the fact that it's constantly spiking between 500-5000ms. All of their servers are in Dallas. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but here is what I got doing a tracert to their Dallas servers.

»imgur.com/uLxxOUy
»imgur.com/KP7VTqq
»imgur.com/B8vRfhY

I've put a decent amount of money into this game and It's unplayable. No one else I've talked to is having any issues.
flatlinee

1 edit

flatlinee

Bumping this thread. My internet actually calmed down for a little while but now my troubles are starting back up again. I noticed some routes along my tracerts have changed from ATT servers to Verison servers; that might have something to do with it.

»puu.sh/51sJR.png
»puu.sh/51sOb.png
»puu.sh/51vRj.png

These are both to chicago servers by the way, a city i live about 70 miles away from. Don't show much because it's hard to catch spikes on a tracert; might have to try a smoke test on it

edit:
setup smokepings to my home IP and to a centurylink IP that i have seen have problems on my tracerts, links are below

»/r3/sm ··· ec&r=471 - me

»/r3/sm ··· 58&r=771 - CLink
flatlinee

flatlinee

And one more bump for another smokeping I'm doing:

»/r3/sm ··· 34fec.KS

I shouldn't be pinging into the 90s to Kansas.

salaryman
@qwest.net

salaryman

Anon

I've had very good experiences with Centurylink (Qwest) regarding pings for gaming. I called support and I can't remember if I put in a ticket or got transferred to a tech but either way I asked for "fastpath" if my line qualified (which it did) so they put me on fastpath and my pings dropped by about 25-35 ms. It seemed the only difficult part was getting from 1st tier helpdesk to tech support that knew what I was talking about, after that they were more than happy to help me.
flatlinee

flatlinee

Reviving this.

My routing has changed so many times and yet stayed so laggy that it has to be either CLink or my ISP. My ISP adamantly says that it's not their fault and I can't even get through to CenturyLink because I have to jump through endless hoops due to me not being a direct customer.

The ping spikes I get are a lot worse than what is showing up in my traceroutes which is odd (traceroutes reach nearly 100, ingame ping anywhere from 150-500).
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

My area they have been installing more shelfs and cards in the CO to get rid of the exhaustion issue. Then they are suppose to reroute the City to City links which is where i get pings issues. At one time I could do 14ms to Chicago, not the best I can get is 30. On Fast Mode... They also have tested the new cards for bonded and the area is eligible for 25mbps down... which I would guess when they get that through the exhaustion issue will pop back up. Good luck to anyone that has CL.. it's a hit or miss, at it's very random with issues.