share rss forum feed

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

Only thing worse than noticing this would be not noticing it

Heading to »www.wannagofast.com/

Car loaded with chairs, tripod, camera stuff, electronics, and a cooler ready for some beverages and snacks.. 90 mile drive to the mountains, PSL is 70 most of the way.. 85-100 likely.. Fun trip.

Then I saw this as I was getting fuel.

Ouch

Sonofabeach.. No way I'm gettin on those roads like that.. Having that blow at 85+ would be un-fun.

Spent the afternoon buying a new front set of tires instead..yay.

Maybe tomorrow.

-G
--
It's a fact : Chicks dig Mafia players.
'Wanna help buy a goat?' - »www.kiva.org

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
That's why I will never have real low profile tires. I see too may with flats after hitting a curb

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
reply to Gomez
said by Gomez:

Heading to »www.wannagofast.com/

Car loaded with chairs, tripod, camera stuff, electronics, and a cooler ready for some beverages and snacks.. 90 mile drive to the mountains, PSL is 70 most of the way.. 85-100 likely.. Fun trip.

Then I saw this as I was getting fuel.

[attachment=1]

Sonofabeach.. No way I'm gettin on those roads like that.. Having that blow at 85+ would be un-fun.

Spent the afternoon buying a new front set of tires instead..yay.

Maybe tomorrow.

-G

I would have replaced the tires just like you did, but honestly on my many years of driving, (too many to mention) I have had a couple of blown out tires and not much happened as a result.

Two popped at probably 65 or so and one at 100 and both times virtually nothing happened. All three were front tires. The one at around 100 MPH was in the UK in a Lotus in the 70's and I heard a pop and noticed that the steering wheel spokes were not centered any more, while the car was going straight. I did not jump on the brakes, but only went a half a mile before slowly stopping. The wheel was so hot that we had to use rags to touch it. The inside of the tire looked like balls of string.

The other two were in the USA and happened when I hit debris in the road. One I thought was a train on the nearby train tracks making the noise, the other I hit the 4 x 4 chunk of wood in the road.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Gomez
Tried to talk my brother into taking his CL65 to that event, just to have a chance to really open it up, but he's got other things going this weekend
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Gomez
Low profile tires look good and handle even better. But they have downsides. When I bought wheels and tires for my mildly customized Tacoma many years ago, I had a pinched/cut sidewall the second day I ran them. Sucks having to buy a new tire when the old one only had 20 or 30 miles on it.

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
reply to Gomez
What kind of tires do you run Gomez See Profile? After going through a set of Falkens and Hankooks in less than a year each I went with some Continental all-season tires with a higher tread wear rating. But now that the car doesn't see serious pavement very much at all, I might go back to a softer summer tire once these wear.

Good thing you spotted that, filling up is a good time to scan for little things like that.

said by shdesigns:

That's why I will never have real low profile tires. I see too may with flats after hitting a curb

If you wanna play, you gotta pay...

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
These where pilot super sport.. My experience with them has been great.. They stick when they need to. I put 6k on them and don't expect much more than 8, so not that bad.

Replaced with pilot sport AS/3.. Reviews are good, and was all I could get at 'fix now' timing.

And agree - wanna play ya gotta pay.. Especially if you want to play hard. And you have to trust everything between hands on the wheel to tires on pavemnet to do that.

-G
--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Gomez

I have found that kind of situation where there wasn't even any contact to a curb or other situation. Now and then you will see that as a version of bead/sidewall separation, and that's just the kind of appearance it will have.

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Especially without any curb rash on the wheel itself, which usually happens with low profile tires like that when you hit a curb. Sadly it's easy to do too...

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
looks like a pothole to me.

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to Gomez
said by Gomez:

These where pilot super sport.. My experience with them has been great.. They stick when they need to. I put 6k on them and don't expect much more than 8, so not that bad.

Replaced with pilot sport AS/3.. Reviews are good, and was all I could get at 'fix now' timing.

And agree - wanna play ya gotta pay.. Especially if you want to play hard. And you have to trust everything between hands on the wheel to tires on pavemnet to do that.

-G

8k thats it?
I am debating on buying the new AS3 or stick with DWS again going to be replacing these OEM Continental Grand Touring AllSeason my C300 4Matic came with.

I had Continental DWS on 1 of my cars 2yrs ago which I bought from a friend with 80 % life left and I was able to put 12k miles on them and still were great in cold/hot season.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
8k seems the norm.. Heavy car, lots of torque, and it's driven fairly hard, especially since the super sports are a Y rated summer tire.

Hoping to do better with the AS/3. Curious how often the traction control will light up when I put them on the back.

-G
--

MooJohn

Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
If you go back to summer-only tires, the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 is a fantastic tire. It's about as close as you'll get to a track tire for the street. It has greatly increased the amount of forward thrust before the traction control intervenes. This is in a car that has triggered it from a 50+ roll when on the stock Pilot Sports.
--

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS
reply to shdesigns
Every lowpro custom rim job I see around here the wheel package cost more than the car and the tires are bald. Glad the op is not bitching about cost. You have to know what you are getting into with these. As far as racing goes give me v rated 60 series.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
reply to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

If you go back to summer-only tires, the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 is a fantastic tire. It's about as close as you'll get to a track tire for the street. It has greatly increased the amount of forward thrust before the traction control intervenes. This is in a car that has triggered it from a 50+ roll when on the stock Pilot Sports.

what are you running them on? I can get the to break on a rolling 50 as well, but its very controlled. But am willing to look into them..

said by SysOp:

Every lowpro custom rim job I see around here the wheel package cost more than the car and the tires are bald. Glad the op is not bitching about cost. You have to know what you are getting into with these. As far as racing goes give me v rated 60 series.

Totally agree.. Never get a toy and then bitch that your toy is expensive to play with... That said, I reserve the right to seek pity when I need a brake job... That will hurt.

-G
--

MooJohn

Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

Click for full size
They're on a 2005 Mercedes CL65. Size 285/35/19 which is as much as you can fit on the car without changing the wheels which to me is just sacrilege on that car.

Please ignore the dirty exhaust tips - they're usually shiny chrome
--

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
I think you may be overestimating the number of people on here that want to examine your tailpipe.

--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
Or not

Some see AMG quad pipes as art... Visually and Audibly..

And yes .. Got the smiley

-G