share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to redwolfe_98

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 fresh install won't update

Thanks. I have those services enabled and both were running. The problem, evidently, is that I don't have Service Pack 3. I was unaware it was required to use Windows Updates.

It may be easier for me to just install VMWare Workstation 7 that I have a license for as I imported my VMware XP Pro SP2 virtual machine months ago but I couldn't convert it to HyperV as to do that Virtual Machine Tools has to be uninstalled first and that can't be uninstalled unless I can start the machine. I thought it would be neat to use HyperV but it seems a great deal of hassle.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to redwolfe_98

Thanks for this advice. I work in the calibration lab of a company that rents electronic test equipment, and some of that equipment runs on Windows XP. Although some of the OS related tasks like virus scanning have been passed along to some different techs, I am often doing Windows Updates on the instruments I work on. I quite often see that svchost process hanging and using 100% CPU, so much so that it makes the updating process hang, and if there is a network connection while the instrument software is running, it too hangs
--
I, for one, welcome our new Computer Overlords.

Rick1961

@cox.net

1 recommendation

reply to mcelotto

I read all the postings on the problem I had regarding the XP not updating. It was very helpful. I just wanted to thank everyone. What I had to do to be able update XP with Windows explorer 6 was download and run Service Pack3, and download explorer 8, run it, and the critical updates started working. Thanks again, you were all very helpful.

Hompy

@telfort.nl
reply to redwolfe_98

I just reinstalled a laptop and got it updating without automatic updates turned on. I installed xpsp1a as provided by manufacturer, installed all drivers, installed SP2 after reboot installed comodo internet security and after new reboot, installed SP3 auto update off. After reboot installed IE8 and after reboot started manual update, came with 2 updates (in a minute or so) installed them, did new search, this time 126 updates found within no time, is installing them as we speak, auto update still turned off.

Had a lot help getting this thing turned right with the tips on this website. Thanks all.

Delta9

@as13285.net
reply to mcelotto

I too have struggled to get the update procedure to start after a clean re-installation of XP Pro SP3 from the an OEM CD to the point of even wiping the partition then re-installing Windows and the drivers.

Previously I have always installed both anti-virus and firewall software before connecting to the internet for the first time but for the second installation I only installed anti-virus leaving the default Windows firewall until the update procedure was completed.

The previous re-installation I did, not on the same PC,was at the beginning of August and this went smoothly with the first scan I recall taking around 20 minutes, certainly less than 30 minutes.

After reading finding and reading this thread after several others and trying numerous things including manually installing KB2870699 I eventually succeeded.

A key point, possibly required due to the specific OEM CD installation configuration, was setting the security in IE6 to medium, it was custom, to allow the Activex components to install.

Once update via IE6 was running I disabled automatic updates so no conflicts.

The first scan using ' Custom ' not ' Express ' took almost 90 minutes, not the 40/41 minutes ' redwolfe_98 ' was experiencing a month ago and this is a PC with a 2.0GHz Core2Duo CPU and 2GB ram, not say a 1.5GHz Celeron with 512MB.

I specifically deselected
KB905474 WGA since it can take close on 2hours to install
KB976002 Browser Choice
Internet Explorer 8 - I only ever use IE to run windows update
dotNet framework - I will install later if absolutely essential

To be fair the download and installation was then relatively quick.
Subsequent ' Custom ' scans took just a few minutes and only found a few updates.

I now have turned Automatic Updates on but only to notify updates, not download, so I can monitor and choose updates and when to install them.

I will be watching the \Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to see that the downloads correctly get deleted in 10 or so days. It is currently almost 800MB size.

Also tonight I ran up a spare laptop, a Pentium4 1.5GHz with 768MB ram, again running XP Pro SP3 that has been off line for a couple of months.
Again ' Custom ' update took close to 90 minutes to scan eventually picking up the fresh crop of dotNet updates as dotNet is installed and a few others. This PC also still has IE6 SP3, not IE8.

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to mcelotto

Has anyone stumbled on a fix for this from Microsoft?

I have a fresh XP Pro SP3 install and the windows update page returns an error code and the svchost running the automatic update service is stuck, taking up 100% of the CPU time. Apparently at low priority, though, as the computer doesn't freeze.

Hompy

@telfort.nl

Did u install IE8?

Millenium

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I haven't yet. I may just leave it at privileges and alternate browser for security and let updates go. They're gone pretty soon anyway.

I'm just curious if Microsoft intends to nix future installs of XP by omitting any fix. Worse, Microsoft really shouldn't be putting and leaving the svchost in that state, which doesn't occur until the automatic updates service communicates with Microsoft's servers. The service is always, on, always runs, and always gets put into that state.

Seems like a pretty crappy thing to do.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

1 edit
reply to mcelotto

I had a similar issue after installing Win XP SP3 from an OEM CD after an HD replacement on a netbook. I think that it had something to do with the fact that the setup did not require entry of the XP Product Key. Ultimately, updates failed because the Background Intelligent Transfer Service was not running properly.

I strongly recommend Windows Repair (All in One), which can repair Windows Update. I have used it several times on different machines and it can clean up and reset a lot of Windows issues. I used it to fix problems from a virus infestation which left networking and Internet access dead. It is freeware by donation and it is not scamware. Run the entire suite of cleanup apps, especially the first two.

»www.tweaking.com/

Hompy

@telfort.nl
reply to Millenium

I sugest uyou turn auto update off, install IE8 and try the update, for me updating went smooth after that, after the updates i turned auto update back to on and everything was ok.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to mcelotto

I've run into this issue on several machines with reloading XP on them, be it Home, Pro, or MCE. The steps I took were these:

1: Make sure you have SP3 installed already, if your disc doesn't include it, then download it to a flashdrive from download.microsoft.com. It saves LOTS of time alone.

2: Install IE8, again, download it from download.microsoft.com, and save it to disc/flashdrive. This will also solve problems on REPAIR installs of XP that mess up IE.

3: Make sure automatic updates is ON. Then run windows update.

4: This step can take a LONG time to complete - do not get discouraged if you see the "checking for updates" for what seems like forever, it will either eventually mention the need to update components, OR, you will see the yellow icon in your taskbar saying you have updates to install.

I had the longest wait with a MCE install. I think it downloaded most of the updates it needed just from the auto updates over the website before it started working right.

Personally, I think it's MS's attempt to discourage XP users, and nudge them to getting a newer system, or upgrading to 7 where possible.

It WILL work, it just takes some time.

Millenium

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to mcelotto

I found some more info that might help us all. His post is the second post; the first reply to the OP

»www.neowin.net/forum/topic/11763···mething/

quote:
This issue comes about because Windows Update is heavily reliant on components of Internet Explorer. If these components are not up-to-date, later versions of Windows Update Agent (that's the engine that scans for and manages updates) may fail or exhibit very poor performance.

For folks that are doing a fresh install of Windows XP, the problem will always reveal itself when you try to do your first Windows Update. By initiating an update via the Windows Update website or enabling automatic updates, Windows will first upgrade Windows Update Agent. You cannot prevent this from happening. After that, Windows Update will fail or perform poorly thanks to the dated components of Internet Explorer 6.
This exactly what I observed. I deleted the software distribution folder to delete the windows update agent and restarted the automatic update service. The service recreates the folders, downloads the new agent, then freezes into 100% cpu load.

The post goes on:
quote:
For folks that have an existing Windows XP installation, this problem may still pop up if you have not been regularly updating your Internet Explorer installation.

It is NOT necessary to install a new version of Internet Explorer to resolve this issue. What is actually required is to install the latest cumulative security update for whatever version of Internet Explorer you have installed. This will be IE6, IE7, or IE8 (if you're doing a fresh install of Windows XP it will naturally be IE6). This will upgrade the various components of your Internet Explorer installation. Thereafter Windows Update will perform as it should.

The latest updates are dated October 2013 (as of writing this). Download and install the update that corresponds with your currently installed version of Internet Explorer:
I installed the latest cumulative update for IE6 and then restarted the automatic updates service. Went to windows update in IE6 and it ran through it's routine and provided the updates list without delay. His post contains links to the latest cumulative update for IE6, IE7, and IE8. I'm going to include the link to IE6 as this is what is on a fresh install of XP SP3.

October cumulative update for IE6
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=40612
4MB update. Takes only a few minutes to download and install. Requires reboot.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Will this work for XP Pro SP 2 which I have installed on a virtual machine and can't get the patches for SP 2? I don't want to install SP 3. This is no solution if you are forced first to install SP 3.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
reply to mcelotto

Forgive me for not reading this entire thread but the solution to windows XP update problems is well documented at Microsoft and other places on the Net.

The best explanation and resolution is in this post:

»www.interworks.com/blogs/ijahans···es-micro

Create and run the batch file as suggested, it will re-register the DLL's involved in windows update and in every case (in my experience) windows update will begin working as expected.

Millenium

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Mele20

You know as much as I do.

The answer seems to be whether the latest cumulative update will install if you are using SP2. I'd take the link appropriate to your version of IE and see if it will install. I suspect, though it's going to be a no go. The IE version changes with the service pack if I remember correctly. The cumulative update may insist it's for a later version of IE (if you have IE6 SP2 it wont install because it's looking for IE6 SP3). Then again, maybe it will update IE6 SP2 to IE6 SP3, and leave the rest of the system alone?

DSL Robot
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Carson, CA

1 recommendation

reply to mcelotto

I ran into the same problem at work recently for some older equipment that uses Windows XP SP3, and after trying many things, I found this:

»myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkost···sus.aspx

I made some instructions for a customer using the zip file from the website above. Here are similar instructions. It seems like a lot to do, but it went smoothly. But you have to be patient.

1. Unzip the file wsusoffline86.zip to a folder on your PC. For example, c:\wsusoffline86.

2. Run the UpdateGenerator.exe program in the c:\wsusoffline86 folder.

3. On the main screen, click the Legacy Products tab.

4. Check "English" in the XP groupbox.

5. Uncheck "Include Service Packs".

6. Click Start and wait for completion. If prompted about downloading Trusted Certificates, click Yes. Be patient.

7. Run the UpdateInstaller.exe program found in the c:\wsusoffline86\client folder.

8. Ensure that Internet Explorer 8 is checked.

9. Click the Start button and wait for completion. You may be prompted to restart the system after some updates are installed. After restart, run UpdateInstaller.exe again to continue.

10. After completion, reboot the PC, then open Internet Explorer and configure settings. Then select Safety | Windows Update, and install the remaining updates. There are many more, but it works.

11. Open Control Panel and configure Windows Automatic Updates to the desired settings.

So basically, this installs updates without using Internet Explorer. After the initial updates are installed, then Windows Update works normally from Internet Explorer.
--
Windows, OS X, Linux...it's ALL good!

join:2013-10-31
reply to mcelotto

As I know Miscrosoft finished support for Windows XP

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

No. You are wrong. End of Life for XP SP3 is APRIL 2014.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to DSL Robot

said by DSL Robot:

I ran into the same problem at work recently for some older equipment that uses Windows XP SP3, and after trying many things, I found this:

»myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkost···sus.aspx

Mentioning that reminded me of the tool I used to use but gave up this year; funnily enough my troubles started at the same time.

Not that Auto Patcher was ever going to beat the O/S official sources in it's day.
I think somewhere before SP2 came out if I could pick a point it was getting out of hand for me, and I started using the tool to help the install process.
My first XP SP1 home gold embossed CD is a tad old but keys are tied to the software after all......I'm glad they have improved that too in recent installer packages.

I wonder how long Win 7 will get for support, or Vista for that matter.
I will go and make sure I have a good copy of my 2 x APUP installs; but grab also what is still about that maybe worth adding to the collection.

It's a pity there isn't a full image you could source of updates.
Unless there is an official image you can download or pay that $20 dollar fee that will help us still play with XP after the support ends.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
reply to DSL Robot

Does this require that IE8 is installed on XP?

Thanks
--
Mac

Millenium

1 edit

Woops! I just noticed you were asking about the offline update. Never mind.

DSL Robot
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Carson, CA
reply to CovMac

said by CovMac:

Does this require that IE8 is installed on XP?

No - but IE8 will be installed when you run UpdateInstaller.exe (be sure to check Install IE8 as mentioned in step 8).
--
Windows, OS X, Linux...it's ALL good!

la72pt

@vodafone.pt

after test many ms fix's and test many solutions over the net, that did not solve my problem, behold now i can install all the updates from windows update.

how? install this updates offline and then you will be able to start update from windows or AU.

WindowsXP-KB898461-x86
WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86
IE8-WindowsXP-x86
WindowsXP-KB2847311-x86
WindowsXP-KB2862330-x86
WindowsXP-KB2862335-x86
WindowsXP-KB2868038-x86
WindowsXP-KB2883150-x86
WindowsXP-KB2884256-x86
IE8-WindowsXP-KB2879017-x86
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86

reboot

and run to windows updates

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to mcelotto

I just did a fresh install of XP Professional with SP3. Here is what I did after the install was done to get Windows Update to work.

By the way, my setting for Automatic Updates in the control panel was modified from the default "no selection" to "Turn off Automatic Updates". Outside of that, no other changes were made to the OS (running services, firewall settings, etc).

1) Install IE8, using the offline install file IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe. The file properties are shown below for reference

During the install of IE8, I did keep the box "install updates" (I think that is the proper wording) selected, which is the default selection.

Once IE8 was installed, I did perform the required reboot.

2) Install the following Windows Update Agent using the offline install file WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe.

I don't remember if a reboot was needed after the Windows Update Agent was installed, but I did one anyway.

Finally, I went and launched the shortcut for "Windows Update" that is found on the start menu.

Web page came right up, gave me the option to install Microsoft Update (which I did), and I was able to install all the needed updates without any problems.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to craig70130

That was going to be my reply to OP, as they didn't state how long they actually let it set in the update loop.

I've seen that take a LONG time before.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

I do want to add that what cork1958 See Profile said about the time it takes to do the "search for updates" (or whatever wording is on the screen) is correct. I did not time it, but it had to be at least 30 to 40 minutes of watching that bar go across the screen.

That was the only "bad" part about the whole process. Waiting for it to display the list of things that needed to be updated. Which, once the list did come up, it had at least 140 (maybe 150) updates that needed to be installed.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

This has been happening for the last two updates and today's update. I had the automatic updates set to notify me, but not to download. I then go to Windows Update »update.microsoft.com/microsoftup···ln=en-us to use the custom update. Today again it was taking forever to search for updates, CPU was at 100% all the time since I booted up this morning. Was even having a bugger of a time opening a window or program. I then went into the control panel and shut off the automatic updates. Everything sped up, downloaded and installed in the time it normally takes.

I have hid the notification that the automatic updates is turn off, because I'm always on this site to know when they are ready and will manually update. This is the only way I have found to stop the CPU issue in Win XP, turn off automatic updates.

PS: Windows XP Home, sp3 with ie8. This doesn't happen with my Win7 laptop.
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

mcelotto

join:2002-11-19
Windsor, ON
reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

That was going to be my reply to OP, as they didn't state how long they actually let it set in the update loop.

I've seen that take a LONG time before.

It took quite a long time before I gave up and posted here. I think I had even let it originally run over night with no luck. But now everything is working with everyone's help.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews
Reviews:
·Pickwick Cablevi..
·DIRECTV
reply to mcelotto

Relief and as always folks @ DSLR come thru.

Choking on cpu was constant until reading the above neowin thread and comments from folks here. Installing Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2888505), rebooting and going back to windows update cured my strangle hold of my cpu.

peterinco

@qwest.net

I thought I'd post this here (from the WSUS forum) because I'm still stuck. I've read this post a few times. Folks say it'll work. I guess I have to go back and try the MS fix-it tools again. Plus, I still have the dreaded "100% CPU usage" thing.

---------------------------------------------------

Didn't Work (Well, Kind of Worked)

I found out about WSUS Offline here: »Windows XP Pro SP3 fresh install won't update. There are all kinds of similar Windows update problems on the web.

I have an older XP computer that won't update. For years I had turn updates off and used programs like ccleaner. I tried the Windows fix-it programs and it still wouldn't update. I tried deleting and re-installing SP3 too.

I used WSUS Offline and it kind of worked, sort of... (I'll preface this by saying that the MS sites are really slow and unresponsive; eventually I categorize it as "doesn't work. Anyway, WSUS Offline found hundreds of updates, including IE8. I had trouble updating IE7 to 8; wsusoffline did update IE and indicated everything installed properly, but...

Today I went to the MS site and tried to update. The yellow icon popped up but 0% downloaded; the site indicated there were many updates found but they wouldn't download and install. So, 1) why are there more updates, today, when I just ran wsusoffline last night and 2) MS update (from the site or turned-on) still won't work (I thought, or hoped, updating to current would solve that; apparently it is a known problem solved by updates). Obviously, my only intention is to bridge the gap up until MS shuts off XP updates.

Any help is really appreciated. Vielen Dank.