Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Re: Huge issue in the last 2 days

So I did more graphing and I also was looking at traceroutes. I need to check it again when the problem starts again but it appears the youtube problem was at the last hop. So it seems to be a youtube issue, But I need to double check.. The charting shows the scale of the issue. I would almost think this might be the result of some DDoS attack against youtube.. Maybe they are just overloaded. The top trace is to my local Cox gateway. No issues there. The second trace is to google, you can see the previous issue. The bottom trace is youtube.com and you can see the issue. Also you can see there is no issue with google or the gateway. So it seems isolated to youtube.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by xymox1:

would almost think this might be the result of some DDoS attack against youtube.. Maybe they are just overloaded.

its not anything bad or sinister. no ddos. no filtering. nothing.

per the front page article several weeks back -- there are issues with youtube varied per isp and user.
at this point -- i'm sure its just an issue with their application balancing or something along those lines. i don't know much about the application side of the house -- but just building out the massively scalable datacenters (msdc's) is a delicate balancing act in and of itself.

q.

xymox1
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Yea i agree.. Thats what i figured.. What bothers me a little are the google issues. Google is a vast system that should not be easy to overload. Yet for more then a week google has slowed to a crawl with packetloss..

I guess whats also weird is that so far its either google or youtube. Never both.

Top is ping to my Cox gateway. Middle is google. bottom is youtube..

I would think youtube and google are both very large distributed systems so its kinda crazy to see these issue. Ive been pinging them for 6 years and never seen anything even close.