Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

Question on Picking Up Equipment

Hi All,

I'm a Comcast customer so I'm not totally aware of Optimum's policies. Basically, the story is this: I have a relative who lives in another part of the country but owns a rental property near where I live. She's having a tenant move in who would like an extra cable box since he's planning on having a bedroom TV (and she apparently never had one in there).

She asked if I would pick up the extra box, however I told her I doubt they would allow me to take it since my name is not on the account. Was wondering if Cablevision has any way of getting around this issue. For obvious reasons, my relative can't come up to New Jersey from Florida just to pick up a cable box in Seaside Heights.

Thanks!

root

join:2002-12-11

1 edit
said by TurboDan:

Hi All,

I'm a Comcast customer so I'm not totally aware of Optimum's policies. Basically, the story is this: I have a relative who lives in another part of the country but owns a rental property near where I live. She's having a tenant move in who would like an extra cable box since he's planning on having a bedroom TV (and she apparently never had one in there).

She asked if I would pick up the extra box, however I told her I doubt they would allow me to take it since my name is not on the account. Was wondering if Cablevision has any way of getting around this issue. For obvious reasons, my relative can't come up to New Jersey from Florida just to pick up a cable box in Seaside Heights.

Thanks!

They probably won't release a new box to someone who is not on the account.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
reply to TurboDan
While anyone can RETURN equipment, CV won't ISSUE equipment to anyone other than the account holder (for obvious reasons)... She'll have to call CV Customer Support and schedule with them (and also with her Tenant) for an installer to add the splitter, 2nd cable run, and STB. (installation surcharges will apply, and will be billed on her next billing statement.)

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to TurboDan
If you need cable run then have friend schedule outlet install and request cable box.
If cable outlet is there already bring latest bill to walk in center and ask for additional box. They will add it to the account and I doubt they will ask for ID.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
reply to Tursiops_G
said by Tursiops_G:

While anyone can RETURN equipment, CV won't ISSUE equipment to anyone other than the account holder (for obvious reasons)... She'll have to call CV Customer Support and schedule with them (and also with her Tenant) for an installer to add the splitter, 2nd cable run, and STB. (installation surcharges will apply, and will be billed on her next billing statement.)

-Tursiops_G.

Wouldn't need to add a splitter or a run. There's an outlet in the bedroom, just don't have a box to connect to a TV.

Booost

@optonline.net
You need photo ID to pick up equipment.

They'll probably mail a box or send a tech with one. There may be an extra charge for either.

Why isn't the cable TV in the tenant's name?

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to dm145
said by dm145:

I doubt they will ask for ID.

They check my ID every time. Which is a good thing, because if someone took a cable box and charged it to your account, you'd be pretty pissed when 1) CV started charging you $7/month for it, and 2) CV charged you a couple hundred bucks for not returning the box.

StudioTech
Off The Air

join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to TurboDan
Have your relative call and request to put your name on the account as an authorized user. You'll then be able to pick up the equipment as long as you show ID.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to Booost
They have never checked mine

IDneeded

@optonline.net
reply to TurboDan
said by TurboDan:

Wouldn't need to add a splitter or a run. There's an outlet in the bedroom, just don't have a box to connect to a TV.

If she never had a TV in the bedroom the line may not be active.

said by dm145:

I saw them check a man's ID when he returned a modem. I thought it was weird. Who cares who the person is as long as you are getting your equipment back.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to dm145
said by dm145:

Cool. Now I know where to go to get a free set-top box!

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Free box to do what with?
Once you activate it you will be charged a monthly fee

Booost

@optonline.net
said by dm145:

Free box to do what with?
Once you activate it you will be charged a monthly fee

Since they're not checking ID, I can have it activated on someone else's account, so they pay the $7 per month.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
They will be able to tell the box is in another location. You may have a visit from the police lol.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ
reply to TurboDan
Your relative in Florida should close the CV account entirely in the rental property. The tenant should be the one to be calling CV for the installation and the account should be in the tenant's name.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
reply to TurboDan
This makes ZERO sense. You have a relative in Florida that pays for cable (the account is under their name) for a tenant in NJ. Why would someone do this? I heard of paying for gas & electric, but never cable or even phone.

If I were the tenant I would be ordering PPV like a mofo.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to rick0204
said by rick0204:

Your relative in Florida should close the CV account entirely in the rental property. The tenant should be the one to be calling CV for the installation and the account should be in the tenant's name.

THIS. No reason the landlord should have a CV account.. Your relative is open to liability as far as unpaid bills, PPVs, etc. She should have the tenant open a CV account in their own name if she has no intention of living there. If she wants to include the price of cable as part of the rent, I suggest deducting the amount of Family Cable plus one box from their rent bill -- and let the tenant worry about providing their own service for cable.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ

said by RickNY See Profile
THIS. No reason the landlord should have a CV account.. Your relative is open to liability as far as unpaid bills, PPVs, etc. She should have the tenant open a CV account in their own name if she has no intention of living there. If she wants to include the price of cable as part of the rent, I suggest deducting the amount of Family Cable plus one box from their rent bill -- and let the tenant worry about providing their own service for cable.

:

Because there is no relative in Florida.

........And because there is no Singer Sewing Centre across from the cineplex, because there is no cineplex, and there is no Singer Sewing Centre.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to RickNY
I brought this up 2 days ago:
said by Booost :

Why isn't the cable TV in the tenant's name?

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to TurboDan
Maybe free cable is part of the lease agreement

ModemDoc

@rcn.com
reply to TurboDan
As long as the tenant's room is in the same dwelling as your relative's home, Cablevision can come
to the home and install it. Whether your relative is illegally subletting or not is a different story and not CV's concern. Don't count on being able to go into a CV walk-in center and picking up equipment without a copy of recent bill and or ID that matches account holder. If the "room" has a seperate kitchen than the account holder's home, it would be considered a separate dwelling and would require a separate account.

wholehouse

@optonline.net
said by Anon80:

As long as the tenant's room is in the same dwelling as your relative's home, Cablevision can come
to the home and install it. Whether your relative is illegally subletting or not is a different story and not CV's concern. Don't count on being able to go into a CV walk-in center and picking up equipment without a copy of recent bill and or ID that matches account holder. If the "room" has a seperate kitchen than the account holder's home, it would be considered a separate dwelling and would require a separate account.

It sounds like they are renting the house and want to add an additional television in the bedroom. Not renting a room in the house.