spc
Search similar:

uniqs

davearge
@sbcglobal.net

davearge

Anon

NAT issues with NVG589 on Xbox Live

I have been using ATT Uverse and Xbox Live for a long time now. Always had an open NAT using UPnP through the Uverse modem. I recently upgraded my speed through Uverse and they gave me a new modem. It is an ATT NVG589. The NVG 589 does NOT support UPnP.

With that being said when I connect to Xbox Live, I can connect however I always get a moderate NAT. This is with the Xbox set to Automatic in the network settings.

I then proceeded to create a static IP for the Xbox 360 and forwarded the Correct Ports. I can still connect to Xbox Live but NAT is still moderate at times. Sometimes it is open.
Furthermore. When I boot up my Xbox it does not automatically connect to Live now. If I try to sign into Live manually it gives me an error about the internet connection. I then go into my network settings. Test the connection. Everything tests good. Then I can sign into Live. But I cannot sign in as soon as the machine turns on without doing a "Test Connection"

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid

If you manually tried to put something in for forwarding ports, delete all of it and start over w/ setup in the NAT/Gaming section behind the Firewall tab in the UI. I assume your not using another router behind the 589.

Keep the static you setup for the 360 and just use that to point to the XBL setup. It's all fairly simple.

Saw you here to > »forums.xbox.com/xbox_for ··· #3989734

davearge
@sbcglobal.net

davearge

Anon

Thanks for the fast response. Yes that is me over on the XBL forums as well.

The way you described is exactly how I have it setup. I just selected the Xbox Live tab in the GUI of the router and pointed it to my static IP.

Also I am not running another router behind the 589.

I actually tried forwarding ports both ways with no success. I tried manually and I tried the way you described.

I booted up my Xbox about an hour ago. Still the same issue. I turned it on. It will not sign me into Live. I test my connection, connections tests with Moderate NAT but I can sign in right after testing the connection. I played 1 game of madden. Re-tested my connection (never shut the xbox off) and then it tests as Open.

Are there any other options or settings that I may be overlooking?

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

Click for full size
I have solution...
TRICKY, I noticed this too..
NOTE: I use ONLY ethernet to each STB and switch, no COAX! *don't know if COAX affects this
1.) You CAN'T be using IP-Passthrough/Default server for ANYTHING...MUST BE OFF!
2.) Under "Advanced" I turned all options to OFF *dont know if necessary
3.) Turned off all packet filters *I use all Netgear GS108 switches (8 port Gigabit ProSafe switch) to break up my ethernet LAN segments.

Since a switch is my packet filter (switches route traffic intelligently) so I keep it off, and I use firewalls on all LAN computers, so packet filters and Advanced settings are of little consequence to me.

NAT/Gaming can be set to whatever you want, however for XBOX I custom made my ports. See screenshot...ALSO I set my XBOX to A static IP using IP Allocation under the Home Network tab. But on XBOX I leave everything as AUTOMATIC, nothing manual!

And it works for me in this setting....

davearge
@sbcglobal.net

davearge

Anon

Whamel- you gave me an idea....

So instead of setting the Xbox to "manual" with a static IP. I set it to Auto and used the IP allocation in the router to allocate the same IP to the Xbox everytime. In NAT/Gaming I used the Xbox 360 port setting (no custom settings)

Now when I boot up my Xbox it Automatically signs in. Great! One problem solved. I then did a network test and it came up moderate. Immediately ran the test again, still moderate. Shut the Xbox off, turned it back on, ran the test for a 3rd time and its open. So why is it giving me an intermittent moderate/open NAT?

Also with the way you have yours setup. Are you hardwiring the Xbox to the switch? I run both my Xbox's wireless. Would it be in my best interest to just buy a new wireless router and run the NVG589 as a passthrough?

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

I use ethernet...no WiFi...
With NVG58, it takes longer to obtain an IP via WiFi than ethernet, with WiFi, you have the WPA/WPA2 authentication handshakes, IP and DNS resolution, and of course if the spectrum is crowded, maybe speed/connection integrity issues.
Ethernet is much faster at IP resolution using DHCP private pooling. So by the time it takes the XBOX ROM to load, using ethernet, it usually has an IP when the dashboard loads.
With WiFi, it has more steps, takes longer, and thats why u don't have instant connection on startup every time.
Why the NAT is moderate, probably takes time for NVG589 to open those ports, AFTER all the WiFi bullsh*t. Not sure though...

Using two XBOXs on NVG58 will not work, I don;'t think. The RG cannot open one port for two devices using NAT forwarding. But u can connect one using NAT and another using IP Passthrough (default server or IP passthrough, try both)
Select Firewall across the top.
Click IP Passthrough on the sub tabs.
Using the dropdown for "Allocation mode" select "Default server or try IP Passthrough".
Enter the IP Address of the Xbox in second box.
Select Save.

For other XBOX, use NAT...
Select second xbox, slect XBOX live service, save

try, lemme know if works

davearge
@sbcglobal.net

davearge

Anon

I have not yet tried what you described for both since I am just trying to get this one going correctly first. The 2nd Xbox is in the bedroom and not used much.

I hardwired the main Xbox today to the router. It connects to Live fine on bootup but when I first tested the connection. I got a moderate NAT. Re-tested immediately after the first test and it was open. So maybe like you mentioned its a timing thing with it opening the ports? This thing is going to drive me nuts lol

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Some folks say to forward also UDP 5060, 5061 for SIP/voice (and that no need to fwd INcoming 53, 80).

Extra DHCP transactions shouldn't be noticeable, but I tend to increase lease time from default (often 1 day or shorter) to more like a week. Especially so clients with lots of down-time don't commonly wake with an already expired, remembered last DHCP lease.

If configuring the client itself to have a static IP (to try and by pass all DHCP issues), I would be sure to avoid overlapping the DHCP pool range of the new RG. What IP did you have working with older RG, and what model older RG?

NVG589 admin manual shows UPnP capability, via command line. Must be ATT disables it and does not expose controls for it (thanks Ma Bell).

David0417
Premium Member
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

David0417 to davearge

Premium Member

to davearge
With one XBOX you would be fine, and I am sure you could get it working, I think your going to have problems running 2 especially since UPnP seems to be disabled on the NVG589, I have 2 XBOX's but I have a block of 5 public static ip's each xbox has its own public ip eliminating all port forwarding etc and ensuring both can be online at the same time with no issues, but this costs an extra $15 per month.

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid to davearge

to davearge
Forget the 589, your gonna be better off just getting your own router, config that w/ DMZ, change subnet and LAN IP info and then run your network. I bet it'll be night and day from what your doing.

Have had XBL/PSN here for years. My sons have had mulitiple xbox's played here behind my netgear at times and there has never been a problem w/NAT'g on open, this is with using DSL, Cable modem and now Uverse here, playing Halo, Black Ops, COD and all the Fight Night stuff I used to do.

The point being that the 589, 3800,3801 (which I use here) should just be looked at as the tunnel for your broadband ISP connection, not the equipment to be used for your network, but that's just my opinion.

This is just to much trouble junking around w/ garbage ATT equipment. Give it a try, you can always just return the router if it doesn't suit your needs.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to whamel

to whamel
the only port you need forwarded for xbox live is 3074 UDP. all other ports are outbound only and shouldn't be forwarded.