Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to Rangersfan

Premium Member

to Rangersfan

Re: U-Verse Picture seems better than I last had it

said by Anon80:

said by WhyMe420:

YouTube HD looks better than U-verse HD.

When was the last time you watched U-verse HD?

It's been a while, but since they haven't upped the bitrate from 5.39Mbps/Stream it's not looking good for U-verse HD. Satellite can have much higher bitrates.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by WhyMe420:

It's been a while, but since they haven't upped the bitrate from 5.39Mbps/Stream it's not looking good for U-verse HD. Satellite can have much higher bitrates.

You would probably be surprised by how much better it is. In the case I was complaining about above it turned out to be the local broadcaster. They look as bad now as Uverse used to look. DirectTV still has an advantage on PQ.

It's still not an A+ picture but much better.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan to WhyMe420

Anon

to WhyMe420
said by WhyMe420:

Since it has been a while, perhaps you should stop making the same comment based on old information. It's not all about bitrates.
Rangersfan

Rangersfan to WhyMe420

Anon

to WhyMe420
said by WhyMe420:

By the way, the bitrate for a U-verse HD stream is not 5.39 Mbps.
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420

Premium Member

said by Anon80:

said by WhyMe420:

Since it has been a while, perhaps you should stop making the same comment based on old information. It's not all about bitrates.

If a feed is starved of bitrate, it doesn't matter how much they've "improved" things. It's smoke and mirrors. For your information, this is the first time I've commented on U-verse's bad PQ in a long time. I'll say it again, seeing as you're not a mod and can't tell me what and what not to say.
said by Anon80:

said by WhyMe420:

Since you're so sure that it's not 5.39Mbps, then what is it? I guarantee you it's not over 6Mbps.
WhyMe420

WhyMe420 to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
said by Michail:

said by WhyMe420:

You would probably be surprised by how much better it is. In the case I was complaining about above it turned out to be the local broadcaster. They look as bad now as Uverse used to look. DirectTV still has an advantage on PQ.

It's still not an A+ picture but much better.

Good to hear that it's getting better. Now if they'd up the bitrate and allow more than a measly 4 streams and a single DVR I might consider their TV service again. It would also be nice if they supported external hard drives.

oneoone
join:2010-01-20
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone

I hear that. I think they need to add more bandwidth to existing streams before adding additional ones. My 1 TB internal drive is plenty for storage and yes the quality has gotten better but it's still not up to par with competitors yet.
Merlin37
join:2012-06-08
Dallas, TX

Merlin37 to WhyMe420

to WhyMe420

said by WhyMe420 See Profile
If a feed is starved of bitrate, it doesn't matter how much they've "improved" things. It's smoke and mirrors. For your information, this is the first time I've commented on U-verse's bad PQ in a long time. I'll say it again, seeing as you're not a mod and can't tell me what and what not to say.

There is much more to the equation than just bitrate. The latest generation of transcoders are 50% more efficient than the last generation which makes PQ significantly better without raising the bitrate one byte.
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420

Premium Member

As I said, smoke and mirrors. Can't reproduce data that's not there.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to Merlin37

to Merlin37
said by Merlin37:

The latest generation of transcoders are 50% more efficient than the last generation

I'm sure that helps but it's definitely not solving the issue. I was over at a neighbors last night watching a game and compression artifacts were clearly visible. During a break there was a commercial for the miss america pageant and apparently all the damn sparkles on a girls dress confused the hell out of the transcoder. It looked like early 2000's compression for a couple of seconds.
said by Anon80:

What is it then? If they're varying the bitrate by channel based on popularity then I'd be curious to know what the max bitrate is for the most popular channels.