spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Vegil
join:2011-02-03
Brooklyn, NY

Vegil

[OOL] Optimum Online Ultra 50 Issues after recent maintenance

Hi, I am hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I'm having or perhaps provide any information.

Optimum did some maintenance the other night, which knocked me offline for 2 hours. I called them and they said they were upgrading nodes. I get my internet and noticed my IP address changed, so I'm guessing I was moved to another node. After about an hour my internet starts flopping. It would stay on for 5 minutes, go offline for 5 minutes, repeat but the lights on the modem is fine. I called back and had a tech scheduled. Tech came, swapped the modem, problem persists. Tech said they are probably still doing work on the backend and will check and told me to wait 48-72 hours. After the tech left, I call back to check to see what could possibly be wrong on the back end, and the tech I spoke with said there is nothing wrong on the back end and that they will send another tech to recheck everything. Right after I hang up, I see that my modem reboots. This time, my internet stopped disconnecting, but I noticed my upload speed suffered greatly, what normally is 59mbps download/ 25mbps upload became 59mbps download/ 1.5mbps upload. I left it alone and decided to wait for the next tech to see what happens. Next tech comes, I told him what was done, what's happening, and he said the lines outside needs to be checked but since he's a contractor, he can't do it and will get someone to take a look. Next day comes I do not get a call back confirming anything about someone taking a look on the lines outside. I thought well since it's working, let me see if I can troubleshoot anything. So I power cycled my modem and router, plugged me computer directly into the modem, test test test, and finally I noticed something. There are random times while power cycling the gear, I would get my 25mbps upload speed, but when I do, the 5 minutes disconnect, 5 minutes connected cycle starts again. When I power cycle and my upload speed goes back to 1.5mbps, I stop disconnecting. Something tells me that after the maintenance, there is a signal issue somewhere which causes me to disconnect if my upload speed is what I'm supposed to get. Has anyone had any experience with something similar and can chime in? This happens with my router plugged in or when I'm plugged in directly to the modem. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Re: [OOL] Optimum Online Ultra 50 Issues after recent maintenanc

Can you go to 192.168.100.1 and post a screenshot of your signal page? I'm guessing if you were put on a new node, you might have higher than spec signal.
Vegil
Brooklyn, NY

Vegil

Here is the screenshot:

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to Vegil

to Vegil
Your down stream looks good, however your upstream is right at the max for 2 bonded channels. That also seems to cause modem rebooting.

Are there any unneeded splitters between the modem and the pole? If there are necessary splitters is the modem on the first split 3.5db terminal.
Vegil
Brooklyn, NY

Vegil

The coaxial cable that comes into my house is just 1 line, I only have internet, nothing else with Optimum. I had the same setup since I had Optimum and haven't had any issues until they did the maintenance. I wish I knew to check the data above before the maintenance then i can compare.

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to Vegil

to Vegil
Ah okay. I would try posting in the direct forum, or look on the forums for Wilt Hildenbrand's email address and be polite and explain that work was done in your area, and you've had several tech visits, regarding speed but nothing has been resolved. Doesn't have to be long just what's been done and your speed results.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Vegil

to Vegil
Your signals were probably a tiny bit stronger before the maintenance, and after they rose the Tx is too high. If you have an unnecessary splitter then you will want to remove it, but otherwise CV will need to advise if the signal is too strong at the tap, which would require someone to resolve a problem outside of your property, or if the two techs have missed something they could have fixed.

Since it is working so well when bonded and poorly when not, my gut says a lot of people are having the problem and getting thrown on the same upstream, while the rest are getting both the contended upstream and the available one, for lack of a better name.
Vegil
Brooklyn, NY

Vegil

Update, I just ran a speed test and ping test and all is fine, I did post on Direct forums but haven't really gotten anything done there, I will test again later tonight just to make sure its stable, perhaps they were still working in the background and finally fixed it overnight @_@ thanks for your replies gents!
Vegil

3 edits

Vegil

Spoke too soon, just did another speedtest and I'm seeing 1.5mbps upload again... I'll wait for Direct forums to respond, I feel calling tech support won't get me anywhere...

Update

Called them while waiting for Direct forums reply, getting a tech to check the lines outside. The tech I spoke with said she saw packet losses...