how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wshultz

join:2010-08-19
Sioux City, IA

I need ideas about expanding my WISP

I have a rare opportunity here. I have a small wisp. It's been up and running for 3 years now. I was approached by a local Telco/wisp in a nearby town about expanding into a new area. They want to supply the bandwidth and tower and access points. Basically, what they are proposing is I buy the cpe and install and maintain. They would use the 2.5 spectrum that they hold the rights to. And they would offer dial tone on my link to end users who wanted it. What I need to do is figure out is how to split profits. They are willing to work with me and I want to develop the best offer for both them and myself.

therealstu

join:2012-06-10
Bend, OR

What sort of equipment do you plan on using?

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to wshultz

This is very confusing.

Is this a small independent telco wanting to get into the WISP market? Larger telcos are going to stick with cellular data plans.

Do they want you to buy a single CPE to connect back to their upstream end or they want you to buy all the subscriber CPE radios?

Do they want to provide simple low bandwidth consuming VoIP or a full internet data offering?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to wshultz

a 2.5ghz radio cant be cheap, I dont know who even is making one.?
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1

said by Inssomniak:

I dont know who even is making one.?

Jah. I think it's a pretty small ecosystem. Air span can probably be "rewired" into 2.5 they seem to be able to hit almost anything up to 6Ghz... but expensive == yes.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
reply to wshultz

Is it -really- necessary to use 2.5GHz...? Or is that just something they are offering up?

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to wshultz

Ubnt M2 radios in compliance mode will run in 2.5ghz.
Though i think in the USA you need the FCC to approve them for that - we dont need that here - just the licence to use the band.

I would suggest you work out the price of what it would cost for a pots landline, and your service, take off 10% off each so you have a good bundled deal and then split the sales based on those proportions, with a slight tip in your favour for the maintanence and support.

Use voip of some sort to send their line over your network.

j2sw

join:2006-05-02
Williamsport, IN
reply to wshultz

Get into Cameras, VOIP, and other complimentary services as well. You will find you can sell cameras to clients who arent even your WISP customers.
--
»www.mtin.net/blog
»j2sw.mtin.net/blog

WHT

Rosston, TX

Except in Texas. You have to be a licensed private investigator or have a four year degree in criminology.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to wshultz

I find it amazing how americans are so proud of their freedoms but i find it amazing how restrictive the government is.

"We want go give everyone healthcare"
"Thats Blasphemy, Its Unconstitutional, Shut down the government, it must be stopped"

"We are a small business that wants to install some security cameras for a few people"
"Not unless you go to university, get a haircut and study to become a criminal investigator"

WHT

Rosston, TX

Originally the Texas law was to include ALL computer repairs or upgrade. Law was redone to include only forensic computer work such as showing how to look at web browsing activity.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to raytaylor

Take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.
Other than local licensing requirements (which is normal anywhere), I couldn't track down any such laws. It's quite normal and logical to prevent felons and untrained / unqualified people from doing security installs. Rest assured, no college education is required.
P.S. the gubbamin isn't "giving" healthcare - it's forcing citizens to purchase healthcare - big difference.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

said by nunya:

Rest assured, no college education is required.

While it may not be required, in a few states it can be substituted for a part of the on-the-job experence requirement.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to j2sw

How do you monetize the Camera Angle ? Do you Just do a straight sell and install ?
Monthly fees would be a nice plus if there was a margin there ?

WHT

Rosston, TX

said by Semaphore:

How do you monetize the Camera Angle ?

Now you talkin' crazy cellular ideas!

Semaphore
Premium

said by WHT:

Now you talkin' crazy cellular ideas!

I'm not against makin money... and Telcos do seem to be pretty good at that.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
reply to Semaphore

said by Semaphore:

How do you monetize the Camera Angle?

Web-enabled construction cameras...especially IR ones watching the tool sheds. Big money (and losses) in tool theft these days.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to wshultz

I thought about a cloud based DVR video, sell an install and monthly to access a zomeminder style DVR run in xen/proxmox or something like that, but with the storage and bandwidth requirements Im not sure its worth it.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Web-enabled construction cameras...especially IR ones watching the tool sheds. Big money (and losses) in tool theft these days.

Damm good idea, a WISP would be a good match considering most projects have no wire line communications available, add some solar and a local sounder or two way voice and lease the units with a drop-off/setup fee.

A local DVR with motion detection zones could be utilized to preclude the need to run video over IP all the time lowering the overall traffic until something trips the DVR bringing the system into real time remote monitoring and being able to see what is actually happening can change the type of dispatch from an alarm report to a burglary in progress, upping the priority of the dispatch.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to Inssomniak

This is what I'm wondering - is there a margin there? Construction site guardian-in-a-box would be another thought and probably better margin but higher capex for the gear too.