how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tkdojo

join:2012-11-19

VMedia DSL speed upgrade Fee - conflicting responses

Hi,

I am currently on VMedia's 6mbps DSL with IPTV service for close to a month. As I have decided to keep them and cancel my current IISP, I wanted to upgrade the speed to 15mbps or higher. So I contacted their sales via email and described my situation requiring about the upgrade, at first I was told that there won't be any extra fees or new installation (fee) required if I have an existing account. So upon what I considered as a confirmation, I replied to the email requesting the upgrade to 15mbps DSL on a condition that there won't be any extra charges like one involved with installation to make sure that I don't get surprised in my next bill as that happened one too many times for me with Rogers, which caused me to cut any ties with them as one of many reasons. Anyways, the next response I got from the upgrade request was that there will be a fee of $50 involved with the upgrade. As I've been told in this forum about extra fee from switching to a GAS(legacy DSL) to higher or new tech(ADSL/VSDSL), I asked in response whether there would be any fee going from 15mbps to 25mbps and the reply I got was that Any upgrade on DSL will be charged $50. So I am now left puzzled. Can anyone share insight or upgrade experiences with DSL that can give an definite answer?

Thanks

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1

Bell charges $90 and change for any change between DSL platforms (ADSL, FTTN ADSL2+, VDSL). The first rep you spoke to was mistaken.

tkdojo

I see. Thanks for the info.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

The service is broken to tiers.

Legacy ADSL GAS Tier (central office connection or remote line Extension/repeater)
1-8mbps GAS PLAN

ADSL2/2+ FTTN Tier (remote Fiber node)
5-15(technically bell will sometime provision up to 19)mbps FTTN PLAN

VDSL1/2 FTTN Tier (remote Fiber node)
25-50mbps PLAN

Changing between these tiers is a new service. changes with in, is a profile change. The new service will cause a full install charge.

As you see. 5-8mbps is shared between ADSL GAS and ADSL2/2+. This may have confused the CSR. as sometime when paying for ADSL GAS the line is set as ADSL2/2+ by Bell. But when tickets for new order Bell then still considers is based on the billing plan originally selected.

I had with TSI a 8mbps ADSL2+ FTTN line on a alcatel remote, but a GAS 6 plan. I had to pay the full Bell fee to move to 15. even though no work or technician was needed in reality.

hope it clears things up for ya.

tkdojo

Thanks again for the detailed explanation, BTC Kevin. This clarifies a lot of questions I had about DSL. Basically, I am SOL, haha. Sometime I wonder why we all do have to put up with things that don't seem to make whole lot of sense and having to pay for it....

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by tkdojo:

Thanks again for the detailed explanation, BTC Kevin. This clarifies a lot of questions I had about DSL. Basically, I am SOL, haha. Sometime I wonder why we all do have to put up with things that don't seem to make whole lot of sense and having to pay for it....

actually it makes sense to me

BTC Kevin

Nepean, ON
reply to tkdojo

ya that fee does feel kinda anti-competative to IISP's doesn't it.
It makes the switch from Bell to IISP's feel painful for some. I know that a few lobby groups are against this fee and want it removed.

It's based on the fact that although Bell claims they charge it. Which if you look at invoices they do charge it. they also discount it off for signing a term contract. This said though, lately they are also discounting it for non-term contracts as well.

This has made it a de-facto norm for Bell to never charge this fee to its customers.

So the now question is... do they still in reality charge it? and if they don't, but force this charge to IISP's as a imbalanced tool. Are they simply imposing the fee in a way such that it will deter new customers to IISP services. Artificially making a favourable scenario to new incumbent sign ups. As some users cant cover the costs of additional the upfront overhead. and to curve a reduction in the number of changes IISP receive for changes to service tiers. While at the same time gaining an additional monetary gain from IISP's.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by BTC Kevin:

It makes the switch from Bell to IISP's feel painful for some. I know that a few lobby groups are against this fee and want it removed

I believe it needs to be reduced, not removed. And much better control over the install process needs to be given. Missed, late and all day appointments are just terrible for new sign ups.

But there is still a real cost to the work done for a new sign up, the incumbents have every right to recoup 100% of the costs.

If IISPs were allowed to have their own techs, at their current rates for monthly service and profits, I doubt even in that scenario installs would be free. It costs quite a bit to send someone to a home, the tech's wages, vehicle, gas, insurance, etc.

I worked at a shop and people would balk at your on-site service rates despite being lower than Nerds-On-Site. Most consumers just have no concept of real costs for visits to a home.

BTC Kevin

Nepean, ON
reply to tkdojo

Have you also seen that the incumbents are trying to get the CRTC to approve an additional tariff similar to the "it is your fault not ours charge on work orders". Which would allow them to pass a bill to the end customer for when a tech "shows up" and is unable to make contact with a resident (over age 18) at the premiss or unable to gain access to do install when they show up? they call it a no show or no install fee.

Personally I've seen my tickets closed as no show or showed no access. when I was standing at the door all day with phone in hand. This fee scares me, as most now tech are notoriously absent on day they should be there. and this would put a burdon of proof on you, that the tech did not show up. else get additional charges.

TypeS

London, ON

Yeah I heard of that, which why I think it's more crucial better control and access be given to IISPs over technician visits before looking at fee reductions.

Paying $50~$100 sucks, paying that, losing a work day AND a no show is just brutal.

BTC Kevin

Nepean, ON

I had Bell "show" and "install" my dryloop DSL 5 times once when on TSI. finally got a line technician to check it. and turned out the pair inside the building wasn't terminated onto the riser pair to apartment. the tech that finally was shocked, that work orders had been cleared as done or tested ok. with that like it was.

tkdojo

reply to BTC Kevin

Yeah, I've been following related news although not quite in depth. I think the problem goes way back when things were run by the gov't, but then slowly privatized over the years. I can see that it's a fine line they are walking on, but from a consumer's point of view, things sure do suck much to have no control over.

tkdojo

reply to TypeS

Yep exactly. Waiting one whole day for things like internet installation is a big waste of everything and that is assuming that a tech will show up on the day.