spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ArkW

@sbcglobal.net

Uverse cable box only puts out a 720P signal?

UVerse guy was out and told me that their cable boxes only put out a 720P signal. I told him the box lets me select 1080I and he basically told me ATT is screwing its customers with false info. I'm not sure how true this is so I wanted to ask. No need to get into... who can tell the difference. I just want to know if this is true.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
The guy is dead wrong. I can say, with absolute certainty, that the box outputs 1080i.

If I'm not mistaken, the wireless boxes can actually output 1080p, it's just not enabled in the firmware.

ArkW

@sbcglobal.net
Just out of curiosity, could Uverse handle 4K broadcasts and deliver that signal to my home IF I had a 4K TV? (Not sure what speeds are needed)

I understand 4K is a bad buy right now for many, heck the industry can't even handle 1080P 8 or so years later from it going commercial. I see 4K 15 years down the road if we are lucky but probably much longer. I'm just curious if ESPN started broadcasting 4K (Where available) NFL Football games, would Uverse be reliable?

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to ArkW
Uverse is definitely capable of handling a 4K signal. Assuming the same data rates, so, no improvement in compressibility of a 4K signal compared to a 1080p30 signal, a single 4Kp30 channel would need anywhere from 24-32 Mbps. Given that range of rates it could actually be done at the moment using a single profile 8d line, but all you'd get is a single TV stream and absolutely nothing else. Given pair bonding and vectoring (and maybe phantom channels, who knows?), there is no reason why Uverse couldn't eventually handle at least 4 4Kp30 streams. I have no doubt it is being tested internally. However, there is no way to know when, if ever, it will appear in production.

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to ArkW
If I'm not mistaken... 1080i is just an upscaled 720p signal...they have the same bandwidth requirements and the upscaling is a CPE hardware uplscaling from the 720p multicast
I could be completely wrong....didn't pre research it
--
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

Paralel

Michigan, US
I can't speak to what the incoming signal is and what the gateway/STB does to it, but the STB does indeed output true 1080i60.