how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lotsaskype

join:2013-09-16
San Diego, CA

PLEASE help with Millenicom/Sprint setup for heavy Skype use

I do constant two-way video chat through Skype for work. I want to sign up with Millenicom's BYOD.

I need a very good connection in order for it to work properly. I was thinking of using a 3G/4G LTE/WiFi antenna, a wilson sleek cradle booster, and can't figure out the air card.

803S and U770 were suggested. I don't know if I need a router (U770 has that option), so maybe the 803S is good enough for my needs. I do need to connect to the network via Wifi on my laptop and phone.

Can some kind hearted soul please just tell me what to buy! I'm sick of researching and need to order something today without having buyer's remorse.

Hoping somebody will name an air card, antenna, booster, and possibly a router (if I need it to use Wifi on my devices) and then one or two of you will agree and not turn this into a 10 page debate haha

Go!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
said by lotsaskype:

I do constant two-way video chat through Skype for work. I want to sign up with Millenicom's BYOD.

I need a very good connection in order for it to work properly. I was thinking of using a 3G/4G LTE/WiFi antenna, a wilson sleek cradle booster, and can't figure out the air card.

803S and U770 were suggested. I don't know if I need a router (U770 has that option), so maybe the 803S is good enough for my needs. I do need to connect to the network via Wifi on my laptop and phone.

Can some kind hearted soul please just tell me what to buy! I'm sick of researching and need to order something today without having buyer's remorse.

Hoping somebody will name an air card, antenna, booster, and possibly a router (if I need it to use Wifi on my devices) and then one or two of you will agree and not turn this into a 10 page debate haha

Go!

What is heavy Skype use? Remember Millenicom Caps for Verizon is 20 GB and Sprint is 50 GB. Otherwise either Verizon or Sprint from Millenicom is a good choice.

lotsaskype

join:2013-09-16
San Diego, CA
I'm going to do Millenicom on Sprint. I'll be around 50GB/mo but hope to find some Wifi spots (my business is a mobile operation). Having an embarrassingly difficult time selecting and sourcing the appropriate hardware.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

2 edits
The greatest flexibility would be the Tri-Fi Hotspot. You can get that on eBay for under $100 (though some try to charge more). Make sure it comes with its USB cable and AC Adapter.

As for a router, I've found that with the Tri-Fi you don't need a router; the Tri-Fi does its own network and I've been very happy with it. As for an antenna, Netgear (which has taken over distribution and, perhaps, manufacture of the Tri-Fi) actually recommends, for an antenna, that you get their custom-built cradle for the Tri-Fi, which doubles as an antenna. I did that myself, and it made an appreciable difference, though not a dramatic one. (Some here have very extensive antenna experience and may have additional suggestions.)

Jack is right, however; if you think you'll be going over 50 gigs a month then Millenicom is not ideal; you may need to go to an outfit like Wireless 'n' WiFi. The downside of the latter is that it won't accept a device from eBay; they provide you with their own, which is a bit more expensive, though you get a rebate if you stay with them for more than two years. Alternately you could go with Clear, which is also unlimited. The disadvantage with the latter is that it only provides connectivity to the Sprint/Clearwire 4G WiMax network whereas both Millenicom and WnW give you access to 3G/WiMax/LTE if you have the right device (the Hotspot picks up all three). If you're not in an area with WiMax then Clear won't do you much good.

I personally have had very little experience with Skype, but my impression, however, is that the video is not very bandwidth-intensive, not HD or anything like that (though that might be a function of how one sets it up). I suspect you might even be able to get away with a 20 gig cap with Skype (the Verizon Wireless package from Millenicom, and the VzW network is a tad more stable and faster than the Sprint), but I'm not sure.

One bandwidth monitor which Millenicom recommends is Rokario's Bandwidth Monitor, available at »www.rokario.com/ . It has been a life-saver for me, and I always have it running in the background to check my usage. If you install that, take note of the numbers you have so far. Then go on Skype for an hour, and then take a second look at the numbers, and that should give you a pretty good idea of the bandwidth requirements for that usage.

Wartrace

join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN
reply to lotsaskype
I would look into a cyfre 819 amp as it works fine on the Sprint network for me.
How far away from the tower are you? You might do OK with an omni directional however a Yagi would be better if you have line of sight to a tower. If you really need to pull in the signal a grid antenna would be better. Just remember you have to have a dual band antenna set up with the Cyfre amp. If you go with a grid antenna you need to get a splitter and hook up a dual band on one outlet and the grid on the other.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
Actually the new version 6 Cyfre CA819's do not require a splitter

Wartrace

join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN
reply to lotsaskype
»www.maximumsignal.net/shop/Cyfre···lifiers/

I have bought from this vendor "Max Signal" and have had a very good experience. I think they could probably help you with specifics.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to lotsaskype
I got mixed feellings about the cyfire amp.. I mean the signal numbers always improved, but the speeds never did.. But this was through verizons network. And rumor has it that when they turned on lte in this area, they shut down some of the towers in the area which all supported 3g. My device is 3g only so well. It may have been it. Now i'm on a hotspot through verizon, so I cannot even use the equipment atm..

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to Max Signal
Do these work with Sprints 4g.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
CA819 works with Sprint 4G on 1900 mhz , not 800 or 2500

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
I was thinking it did but was not positive,thank's

Bigglesworth

join:2011-02-22
Santa Barbara, CA
reply to lotsaskype
Skype is very efficient when doing video/audio calls.

Anything 3G and better can do it. You can go as low as 7~ KBps for a ~10fps lowfi video stream with low quality audio. Around 20KBps the audio bumps up in quality and the video bumps up in clearity.

Around 30-40KBps the Video is high quality as is the audio. I would estimate it around 480p at 30fps.

Left alone Skype will hog double to tripple this without needing to. So recommend getting something like NetLimiter and put a 40~KBps limit on Skype. I regularly compress and encode 1080p video so I have no illusions what high quality and low quality is. You lose almost nothing by cutting Skypes throughput in half.

Of course this is unless you NEED to see people pores during a conference. The clarity you get is roughly equivalent to sitting 6 feet away from a person. I have a 20GB limit and Skype constantly without sacrifice, just got to be smart about it. So can you!