share rss forum feed

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

Cogeco-Land Upstream Channel Bonding Limitations

I just ran a speed test tonight after reading in the longer thread that some areas have now got 20/10 service in Cogeco-Land.

In Eastern Ontario, on a Cisco DPC3000 (4x4) hardware Rev2 modem with latest (2013 June) firmware, I now have full 20 Mbps speed downstream and about 3.8 Mbps Upstream.

The modem's status screen shows 4 downstream channels in use, and only one for upstream (which is no change from before).

While this is a marked increase over what I had before, I still am wondering :

Has anyone else on a START Cogeco-Land 20 plan recently checked and gotten similar results to mine - or different ones ?

What modem do you use - same as mine or another model ?

And is the performance I am getting about correct for using only the one upstream channel ?

Thanks.

JakeG

join:2013-02-23
Chatham, ON

Yes seems fine 1 upstream channel in Chatham and getting 30/3.8.

blarg

@navcanada.ca
reply to Davesnothere

I have the same results in North Bay, cogeco is advertising the 10mb upload for customers on my street, but im not getting it.

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville
reply to Davesnothere

Have you tried rebooting your modem?

blarg

@start.ca

yep

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to hagbard72

Me too, both before and after posting, but not again since that date.

sssscary

join:2007-10-23
Brockville, ON
reply to Davesnothere

I am also using same modem and am showing only 1 upstream channel.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by sssscary:

I am also using same modem and am showing only 1 upstream channel.

Your upstream speed is better than the rest of us who only are on one channel though. (5.8 vs 3.8)

Might it be because you are on the fastest download tier ?

khronlk

join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Davesnothere

Using the Technicolor DCM476 modem, I have the standard plan 20/10 and my channels are now 8 down and 1 up(weird why they upgraded 4 more down channels but not the 3 up channels). Getting 3.8 on the upload, I am hoping they are still in progress of upgrading the node and I get 4 channels up shortly. It's been about a week and a half or so since I went from 4 channels to 8.

jubenvi

join:2006-12-12
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy DSL

said by khronlk:

Using the Technicolor DCM476 modem, I have the standard plan 20/10 and my channels are now 8 down and 1 up(weird why they upgraded 4 more down channels but not the 3 up channels). Getting 3.8 on the upload, I am hoping they are still in progress of upgrading the node and I get 4 channels up shortly. It's been about a week and a half or so since I went from 4 channels to 8.

You know how it is in this end of Sarnia.
I'm using the Cisco DPC3000 and went to 4 channels down at least a month ago, but still only a single channel up.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

Last week I asked a veteran Cogeco field tech about the single up-channel thing, when he came to replace my wire after a storm a few days prior had knocked it down using part of a tree as a weapon, and he said that possibly my account needed to be 're-provisioned' by Cogeco for START.

I had previously thought, based upon what the folks with faster downstream speed accounts had been posting both here and in the Cogeco forum, that this was being done without a formal request from anyone, mayhaps only needing a modem power cycle or reboot.

--

My new mantra is 'MMM' (Move Mouse Minimally).

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Davesnothere:

and he said that possibly my account needed to be 're-provisioned' by Cogeco for START.

I was always under the impression that the channel bonding setup has nothing to do with provisioning, as even an unprovisioned modem will sync up to whatever channel bonding soup the CMTS is serving in a given area...

Provisioning is for network access and speed profile.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
--