how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KamWest

join:2013-03-26
Canada

Extreme Plus is a Joke!!

So I switched from Express to Extreme plus.

rant...

Express was supposed to give me 25 MBPS, most I ever got was 18

Now Extreme Plus is supposed to give me 45 MBPS and the most I ever get is 28.
I still average under 20.

Now... I call and they say a lot of things play into speed. I bought the SMC modem/router they told me to buy for maximum speed.

The technician they sent out for me was utterly useless, all he did was turn my modem sideways. He said Rogers only accepts the results from their speed test and I find theirs to be generous in their calculations. Nonetheless the speeds quoted are from their service.

I would not mind if I at least averaged 30-40 but this is ridiculous. I pay my money and I get nowhere near the service I pay for. There needs to be a law against such a thing. If I only get 50% of the service advertised then I should only have to pay 50% until they fix it.

end of rant...

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Before I say this, just know that I agree it's ridiculous and I believe they should charge based on what speeds you're ACTUALLY getting.

That being said, you are not guaranteed those speeds. They advertise "Up to" 45Mbps. This is how they get around silly little rules and regulations.
--
Weeeeeee

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to KamWest

Rogers advertises that their speeds are '3rd party verified'. Don't know how true that is.

None the less, something is definitely wrong here. Looks like Rogers is sending the wrong 'config' file to your modem. Never seen Rogers speeds that far off.

Get on the phone to 'Customer Care' pronto. Somebody screwed up.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to KamWest

It sounds like you're provisioned on the pre-Dec'12 speeds 18 was the former Express and 28 the former Extreme. Should mention that next time you get them on the phone.

Also, whats the model number of your SMC modem/router?

KamWest

Canada
reply to KamWest

Done all that already, tech suggested I upgrade

Funny thing is the upload went to 4 MBPS right away but the download just sucks.
I swear I'm being throttled because I cancelled my TV cable.

KamWest

Canada
reply to TypeS

I will check it later today to see what modem I have

I have Extreme Plus now and still slow as a dog

(Sorry... my previous post was a response to elitefx)

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to KamWest

Could be anything. Rogers has been playing with the network for the past 6 weeks or so. Could be a bad splitter. Maybe the squirrels have been busy (seriously). Have you changed anything eg: cables etc lately?

This Broadband internet gets to be more of a pain everyday...............Good Luck

TypeS

London, ON

Maybe so but seeing the exact numbers 18 and 28 points almost definitively to mismatched speed profiles.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

cancel rogers go to tpia... help crush this evil empire... funds is the key... anyway rogers get money from cbb ... but it takes customers away from rogers.... i'll suggest backing up your email with a csv file

KamWest

Canada

Max I can get from Tekksavy is 28MBPS and I'm looking for a bit higher. My kids watch Woody Woodpecker on the ipad, my wife watches educational on youtube and I'm crawling. 28 just does not cut it anymore... mind you when I was subscribing to 28 the most I usually got was 18.

I did all the tech stuff but honestly I think I got a clueless tech. Years ago Rogers sent someone to my old house and that guy was super. He knew his stuff and he identified the issue. The tech I got last time had to use my laptop because he could not figure out how to logon on his. He looked like he was ready for retirement.

MJB

get dsl+(dryloop dsl - backup) + cable for internet
i would dual wan the two dsl lines then another dual wan for cable
so

dsl ---
dsl --- dual wan ----- dual wan - router wireless
cable ----------------

TypeS

London, ON
reply to KamWest

TekSavvy now offers 25/35/45/150, as do Start and EBOX as well.

KamWest

Canada
reply to KamWest

UPDATE

So, I finally got a hold of a rep via phone that took the time to listen to me. I asked him where I was calling to and he said Toronto. I said, man can you believe how hot it was today and he said.. yeah crazy hot. Of course it was cold today and he was trying to disguise his Indian accent. That said, he helped me and did an excellent job.

He reset the modem and we went through a few settings and he patiently waited for me to verify speeds. In the end we got it right to 45MBPS which is what my extreme plus calls for. I verified speeds with the rogers speed test and speedtest.net.

So as much as I like to bash rogers when things go wrong, I have to give kudos to this rep for helping me.

I now have a year contract for extreme plus at 30% off with the bill coming to $66 taxes in . It's capped at 150 gigs which is fine by me because I have never gone over 80.

My extreme has now got advertised speeds.

PS. This guy admitted it and said in most cases they just need to turn things up a bit on their end. Funny thing is when we were testing speeds he had me all the way up to 100MBPS. I wish he would have left that for me.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

Instead he suckered you into a contract with a low cap that you say you won't go over, but always had HALF the connection speed.

-.-
--
Weeeeeee

KamWest

Canada

No, I had the contract with 30% off for the second year now. I technically have about 8-9 months left.

I had express with unlimited but they only discounted the express and not the $30 unlimited. I looked at my stats and I have never gone over 60gb. So I switched to extreme plus where the whole package is discounted by 30% and I have higher speeds. Since I will never use 150gb I figured it was a good enough swap to make it worth my while. So now my bill is $20 cheaper and I have greater speeds.

Tekksavy now has higher speeds in my neighborhood so when my 8-9 months is up I will probably switch. That is unless Rogers offers me another 30% which they tell me they can never do for more than 1 year. I managed to get it for a second year by actually cancelling and having it reinstated but I figure a 3rd year will probably not happen.

TypeS

London, ON
reply to KamWest

The 100Mbps you saw was probably just speedboost and not the phone rep tinkering with the profile.

KamWest

Canada

I thought that too but I had two laptops going, one on wireless, one hardwire and I used speedtest and rogers. While he was working on his end I got speeds I had never seen before using both rogers speed test and speedtest.net. I replicated the high speeds on both computers so I know they can crank it up on the Rogers end when necessary.

I checked again this morning and my speeds are consistent 39-46 on both computers using both speed test services.

Eldorados

join:2005-11-25
reply to KamWest

45/4 at $66 after taxes, and that's with a 2 year contract with a 30% discount? And includes 150gig cap?

I'm paying $59 after tax for same speeds from Vmedia... oh, and I don't have to call and argue or lock into a contract to get this price every year

Oh.. and it's also unlimited

Expand your moderator at work

Brawler

@rogers.com
reply to nekkidtruth

Re: Extreme Plus is a Joke!!

There is no more official contracts on cable anymore. so he can cancel at anytime. with no ECF

KamWest

Canada

Say what???
You mean all cable contracts are gone?
Is that published anywhere?

Brawler

@rogers.com

Only if you got said package before Febuary 12th 2013. Before that its still subject to ECF. It maybe somewhere but Rogers isnt actively promoting that.

KamWest

Canada

Got my discount in April and it goes to next April. I'll probably stay right now because of all the issues Tekksavy is having with Rogers and the completion of the work orders. Maybe by April that will all be sorted out.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to KamWest

There is nothing a tech can do at Rogers end to "tweak" your service unless he loads a new profile which exceeds your contracted profile and hopes it brings it up to standard. But it's not likely to be stable at that.

One of the things about cable is that your connection should be normally at rated speed. There are essentially 2 things that can slow your connection ...

1) Congestion on your cable segment due to too many users. This is normally reflected in time of day variations. You'll typically get excellent speeds in the small hours until about 3pm and then slows during the evening.

2) Signal problems causing retransmits either at a modem level or an IP level.

The speed down the cable is ALWAYS max speed.

The way to verify signal problems is to go to the diagnostics / signal page at 192.168.100.1

They commonly show up with levels out of range or an SNR below 32 dB or a non-zero BER (bit error rate).

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
reply to MJB

you think the average person will want or know how to pay for that confusing mess?

MJB

Reviews:
·VMedia
·ACN DSL

That is just combining lines with dual wan routers.

That way if one line fails the internet still works.

I had bell fail once and the third party line was still working (acn -dryloop connection).

Basically the bell and acn lines are fed into the first dual wan router with failover enabled on the interfaces. Next then the connection from the lan port on the first dual wan router is fed into the second dual wan router through the wan port with failover enabled on the interfaces. The second wan connection would be the cable isp. Then the wireless network would be connected to the second dual wan router lan port and people would be able to use wireless..

Businesses use redundancy.

It's good to keep people online and the connection working.

MJB

A dual wan router costs about 500 dollars at tigerdirect ain't rock science...

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal

$500? Really? Try under $300.

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33181137