We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

700 MHz wireless auction registration ends today

Wind announced that they're bidding

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 4352065/

If I were Wind I'd have not made an announcement and waited until the last minute to submit bid documents. Make the Feds shit a brick thinking "what if we had an auction and no new entrants bid except for Videotron & Eastlink (ie. the only new entrants that were NOT solely wireless companies).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz

MVM

They'd better damned well buy spectrum in Quebec...

I also don't think that Wind can legitimately call themselves a "national carrier" when they only cover 3 of 10 provinces.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

OK, the biz day is over now.

So who's in and who's out ?

After all, auctions should be for-biddin' !
lewism
join:2008-04-25
Brossard, QC

lewism to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
I heard it will be known next monday.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

They'd better damned well buy spectrum in Quebec...

I also don't think that Wind can legitimately call themselves a "national carrier" when they only cover 3 of 10 provinces.

Perhaps better wording would be "future national carrier" but that doesn't work in marketing.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to lewism

Premium Member

to lewism

CBC's The National reported tonight that Wind has formally said that they will be participating

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

CBC's The National reported tonight that Wind has formally said that they will be participating

That's awesome news!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Great, but where are the phones.. oh wait. there are none.
And for those of you that just bought a phone (with or without Windtab) are screwed.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by elwoodblues:

Great, but where are the phones.. oh wait. there are none.
And for those of you that just bought a phone (with or without Windtab) are screwed.

Curious, care to elaborate?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Sure, can you point out any 700mhz phones in the marketplace today?

If you bought a phone (and lets stick with Wind for the moment) on a Windtab or outright, are you going to buy another phone in the next year? (Windtab no, outright maybe).

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Unless I'm mistaken 700Mhz is AWS, that is the band Wind and other new entrants have been operating since they entered. 700Mhz is actually quite well used. It's in wide use for LTE data, the part where Wind & Co have limited selection is because they put voice on 700Mhz as well. So you can take your 850/1900MHz voice phones to their network.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
I hope to see Wind in Montreal with this... we need some of those nice plans that are useable on decent phones.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TypeS

MVM

to TypeS
AWS is 1710-1755 and 2110-2155. 700 MHz is completely unrelated.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Well I was wrong on the frequency Wind is currently using but 700Mhz is in use, just not for voice. There are implementations out there to put voice onto LTE instead of the methods currently used. Most carriers use a method in which the phone actually switches back onto 3G or 2G bands when you make a phone call.

Wind could do Voice over LTE and they'd have a selection of phones with 700Mhz.

Its about time most carriers started putting voice service on LTE anyway, a phone having to run on multiple bands is battery draining.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Davesnothere:

That's awesome news!

I reviewed The National's segment and they went on to say that a few 'other' companies will be confirming by next week sometime.

That's odd, because I though that the deadline was yesTURDay (17th).

Must be a good 'golfer', to get the rules bent for themselves !

The CEO of WIND was interviewed too, and had some interesting comments.

The segment is archived for 'on-demand' viewing at the CBC video player :

»www.cbc.ca/player/News/I ··· 6925452/

UPDATE :

Actually, my link is not from The National, but is instead from The Lang & O'Leary Exchange, CBC's daily biz program.

Sometimes both versions are not archived, which this time is a shame, as the The National's piece had some other info too, though a shorter edit of the interview.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

»www.gsmarena.com/blackbe ··· 5274.php
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by elwoodblues:

You're full of Q10 info eh?

Beautiful, I'm ready for Wind's 700 MHz LTE as well as their regular AWS network with my Q10!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by elwoodblues:

So, a 'sleeper' reason to go BlackBerry ?

(before it becomes mainstream knowledge)

Are they unlocked ?
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

3 edits

julienvf to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Iphone 5 (band 4 but not 13), 5c and 5s support 700mhz LTE.

As for companies bidding, Thomvest, owner of Public Mobile said they'd bid. They currently use 1900mhz band G which is the LTE band #25. Most of the phones sold by Sprint or Verizon in the US that are compatible with LTE band #25 are compatible with LTE band 13 which is in the 700mhz blocks C and D. With 10mhz spectrum in the 1900mhz and 10mhz (if they buy both 5X5mhz blocks C and D) would give them a decent amount of spectrum for deploying a LTE network and having a network compatible with the iphone Verizon and Sprint are using in the US. That would be a nice moove for them, considering Vidéotron failed to provide iphones or any good rebate program if you bring your own unlocked device.

I see Public Mobile offering Iphone bundles with unlimited LTE data with the first 5gb at full speed than throttling thereafter + unlimited calling for about 40-50$/month undercutting all competition in Québec.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
The problem for both Wind and PM is that neither currently has enough spectrum to fully migrate to LTE. In order to migrate your network, you need enough spectrum to run CDMA/GSM and LTE side-by-side. Wind does have enough spectrum over most of their network, but not all places, and PM had no extra spectrum anywhere. So even though PM currently has enough spectrum to run a pretty decent LTE network, they have no way to migrate their customers to LTE...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Well I was wrong on the frequency Wind is currently using but 700Mhz is in use, just not for voice.

700MHz was part of the UHF television band between channels 52 through 69. The stations using those channels were moved to different frequencies and as it stands now *nothing* is using the 700MHz bands in Canada. Cellular providers are already using it in the US for LTE, though.

The whole 700MHz situation is an interesting bit of history repeating itself as TV channels 70 through 83 were moved to different frequencies to make way for 800MHz cellular spectrum. City TV in Toronto used to be on channel 79 and was moved to 57 for that reason. It then had to move again to 44 as part of the 700MHz transition.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
And good riddance. In North America, we've got 288MHz of prime spectrum reserved for over-the-air television, which barely anybody watches. The percentage (in the US, at least) is down to 7%, half what it was three years ago (so rapidly shrinking).

How the heck can we justify reserving such a ridiculous amount of spectrum for a service that is only used by a small number of people, soon to be negligible?

To put things into perspective, over the air television has reserved roughly the same amount of spectrum as Bell, Rogers, and Telus combined.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

And yet we see a resurgence of OTA television reception as more and more people wise up and abandon the compressed, overpriced cable TV crap, myself included.

Open bandwidth is necessary for other uses including emergency services (police, medical), two way radio, wireless microphones and video, etc. A typical theatrical production or major sporting event can consume 2-3 open TV channels alone with wireless devices.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by elwoodblues:

So, a 'sleeper' reason to go BlackBerry ?

(before it becomes mainstream knowledge)

Are they unlocked ?

The new BB10 Blackberries (Wind version) is about as close to a world phone as you can get these days. Getting them unlocked is trivial.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Wind could do Voice over LTE and they'd have a selection of phones with 700Mhz.

Its about time most carriers started putting voice service on LTE anyway, a phone having to run on multiple bands is battery draining.

VoLTE is not a trivial thing to do... Most of the carriers are publicly (or privately) working on it - but how far out they are from deploying is months or years, not days or weeks...

It'll be very interesting to see who ended up bidding... And where.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
I do have to echo this.. with the move to Digital, OTA TV is having a rebirth. I get 30 channels free in Toronto OTA, and dropped my cable now over 2 years ago.. I haven't looked back.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
A few new people are adopting OTA, but a far larger number are dropping it. The usage rates are plummeting, and it just doesn't make any sense dedicating such a ludicrous amount of bandwidth (enough for over 4 gigabits per second of cellular data) to free television. The spectrum would be enormously better utilized delivering video content over mobile IPTV, for one thing, and for another, public resources shouldn't be wasted like that just so people can save a few bucks a month.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

A few new people are adopting OTA, but a far larger number are dropping it. The usage rates are plummeting, and it just doesn't make any sense dedicating such a ludicrous amount of bandwidth (enough for over 4 gigabits per second of cellular data) to free television. The spectrum would be enormously better utilized delivering video content over mobile IPTV, for one thing, and for another, public resources shouldn't be wasted like that just so people can save a few bucks a month.

I'm don't know where you're getting your information, but if it's readily available somewhere, post some links please. The guy I just bought my antenna from says sales are through the roof, more locations on deck, install segment in the works and companies are popping up doing the same at an alarming rate.

Mike
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

A few new people are adopting OTA, but a far larger number are dropping it.

Big resurgence around here. Particularly with all the Detroit OTA stations available with only the most basic of antenna setups.

I haven't had pay TV for a very, very long time, and don't really miss it. I was at a friend's place recently, and after flipping channels, it seems that pay TV has gone down hill as much as OTA in terms of program quality.

Anything I really want to see, I download (legally) or buy on DVD.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

There are full-page ads from the feds in today's front sections of the Globe & Mail and Toronto Star bitch-slapping the incumbents over wireless.