spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to 88615298

Re: Why should TV providers fight content owners anymore?

Customers might as well just go to netflix or hulu. Truly, the only stranglehold that cable has is Sports.

Networks are getting greedy, cable companies rightfully don't want to raise rates, and the customer gets screwed in the end.

OTA / Hulu / Netflix / Aero

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by jc100:

Customers might as well just go to netflix or hulu. Truly, the only stranglehold that cable has is Sports.

Networks are getting greedy, cable companies rightfully don't want to raise rates, and the customer gets screwed in the end.

The customers can blame THESELVES. Dish Network tried to fight the good fight with AMC last year. After 4 months that had to relent because of the large lost of customers. Then people complain when their TV providers give in to the content companies. Everyone wants everything but no one wants to sacrifice to get it. This is why cord cutting is still really low. People talk about it, but in the end chicken out because they can't do without their precious reality TV crap. If people actually sacrificed in 6 months you'd see HUGE changes and these changes could have happens YEARS ago but nope no one wants to earn anything.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

reply to jc100

It's only a matter of time before copyright holders slam Hulu and Netflix hard with higher licensing fees. They are both getting off paying a tiny fraction of what cable companies do and Netflix doesn't provide any advertising revenue either. That is not sustainable for networks should a massive influx of cord cutting happen.

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19

They're already slamming Netflix hard enough that it barely eked out a 3% net profit last quarter. And that's actually up from 0.3% in the previous quarter.

When subscriber growth gets ahead of the licensing fees, Netflix can make a profit for a short period of time. However, this doesn't last, because Netflix has to pay a higher fee at the next license renewal negotiation.

It's the same treadmill -- just starting out from a lower number. Eventually the number will go up.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to 88615298

This is due to the simple fact that most customers dont understand what carriage fees are. They believe the MSO is simply dropping the channel.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
reply to silbaco

For everything else, there's transmission/sickbeard/couchpotato.

devolved

join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
reply to ITALIAN926

Then when the channel suddenly reappears, they wonder why their bill went up.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to tanzam75

This is why Netflix is producing more of their own programming.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to jc100

said by jc100:

My household: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle, and OTA. Proud to be completely cable-free.

Netflix: $7.99 /month
Prime: Free (*)
Crackle: Free
OTA: Free. 30+ channels, most in HD.

OTA means we never have to suffer the re-trans fee disputes cable customers get swept into. And the price of OTA never goes up. I almost feel sorry for CATV subscribers. We have more programming available than we can possibly consume... all for less than $8 per month.

(*) We were Prime subscribers for the free shipping long before streaming was included, and would keep it even without the streaming benefit.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

Lets be serious here. If youre happy with Netflix, great, but their streaming selections absolutely suck. I never knew there were so many Bmovies made until I signed up last month. I couldnt find a single thing to watch, cancelled in first month.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

said by ITALIAN926:

Lets be serious here. If youre happy with Netflix, great, but their streaming selections absolutely suck. I never knew there were so many Bmovies made until I signed up last month. I couldnt find a single thing to watch, cancelled in first month.

Different tastes, different preferences. Much of the current network programming gags, bores, or offends me, so the Netflix and Prime catalogs are a good fit in my home. There is very little I'd watch on CATV.

For those who are more Old School, OTA + Netflix is a good fit.