how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHox

join:2012-05-31

1 edit

My first Tower/POP, omni hardware recomendations

Ok, well I have my backhaul somewhat sorted out, (per my other thread).
I didn't want to drag that thread on anymore.

I am planning to order some gear to power up the 65ft tower at my house, that should serve about 20-30 homes in my neighborhood. With plans ranging from 3mb/1mb to 10mb/3mb, what gear could I start out with?

I was thinking just an omni of some sort, do I go with a rocket, say something like this kit? »www.balticnetworks.com/ubiquiti- ··· ion.html

Or would a Bullet serve my purpose fine? With say a Maxxwave omni antenna.

I'd like to order something asap and hopefully get it by this weekend so I can work on it then.

Thanks everyone for your help.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Why not sectorize things from the start?
As you grow your customer base, you'll likely have to go back and do it anyway.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

TheHox

1 recommendation

reply to TheHox
I don't know to be honest.

In my head, I was thinking to get the ball rolling I could do so by buying just 1 antenna/radio. Instead of 3 or more. And expand when needed. Yes I am making more work for me in the future, but since I'm just starting out, i thought it might make more sense to slowly get into things, since I'm a newbie of course.

Also, going with 5ghz, there is not that many line of sight customers in my area that I could get anyway. At least 15, maybe 25 tops.

I could try 2.4 which may give me a few more, but that mess just scares me.

I think for now I'll order the rockect 5ghz with the omni antenna. I can always use it somewhere else if I have to upgrade this tower. I can use the omni as my "starter kit" for each new pop.
Untill I get big enough that I know what I am doing and can throw a few thousand dollars at Titanium Rockets up there

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
I think your plan is fine. If you were in a dense populated area, I'd say to sectorize right away, but in your situation, I think an omni to start out with is fine. I've almost always stated a new site of mine out with omnis. Sure, I've had to go back and replace a few, but most are still on omnis and it has saved me thousands of dollars (especially when I didn't have the extra money to spare) by not wasting money on sites that never got enough customers to be worth having sectors.

TheHox

Click for full size
Ok so maybe I try 2.4ghz.

I threw up a loco on my 65ft tower to see what it looked like in one direction.

See the attached airview. That look ok? To try 2,432 10mhz width?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
Hmm looks very usable, although a loco isnt a lot of antenna, but Looks a lot better than some of the 2.4ghz I have to work with ..
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to TheHox
said by TheHox:

See the attached airview. That look ok? To try 2,432 10mhz width?

That's Channel 5, right next to Channel 6, the default home router channel. It's not an issue now, but it will be in the future.

Normally, for 2.4GHz, I recommend Channel 1 and 11 for WISP use at each POP and leave 6 open for the home routers. This gives the maximum RF channel separation for the co-located radios...very necessary to avoid self-interference.

A WISP should have a "commanding" signal in their service area since they are more elevated, using professional gear and practices. When home folks "see" the big signal on 1 and 11, they will move to 6. Well, that's the hope anyway...

Something else that should be done is an area survey. Load up the truck and head out with a radio, omni antenna, pushup pole, laptop and inverter to do a full survey around the lake. You could do that in three hours, I'm thinking. This will give you a baseline for the future.

The numbers are the survey locations and the letters represent your POP locations.
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
said by John Galt:

This will give you a baseline for the future.

What a concept and some really good advice, with a baseline of the arena one is moving into a pre-built survey, so to speak, makes troubleshooting a "new" after-built interference problem so much easier to locate and begin to resolve.

The alternative is chasing down who knows how many preexisting but not interfering rabbit-holes, that may or may not be the cause of the problem.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to TheHox
The benefit to sectors (with RF Armour) is that you are not exposed to as much noise from everywhere like you are with an omni.

It also gives you some redundancy should one radio fail... clients can/will still connect to the next best sector. With an Omni you're dead.

But at least 3x the cost. In either case I recommend dual polarity if at all possible. You'll get more stable connections, higher BW and better pen.

TheHox

Well rather than me sit here and ask questions all day, I have to get my feet wet and learn by example. Hopefully not by my check book.

I just ordered..

2 RocketM5-US 802.11N MIMO 5 GHz Rocket AP
2 RD-5G30 30 dbi 5 GHz dual pol 2' dish w/cables
1 RocketM2-USA 802.11N MIMO 2.4 GHz Rocket AP
5 AMO-2G13 2GHz AirMax Dual Omni, 13dBi
1 NSM2-US Nano Station MIMO 2.4 GHz

Did get the dual polarity omni for now. Shouldn't be wasted money, hopefully will find somewhere to use this stuff.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18

1 recommendation

If you're in a lightning belt you might want to look into Ethernet Surge suppression. My Exp. with Rockets was not great in that regard. Tycon power makes a good suppressor. »www.tyconpower.com/products/POE. ··· tm#Surge Well worth the money.