Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Cannot open new tabs with FF24

I just noticed that when I try to do a New Tab (either from File or the toolbar), the new tab is not visible. If I try to close FF, it asks if I want to close the tabs. I tried disabling Colorful Tabs and Hide Tab Bar With One Tab addons, but no change. If I open the Add-ons manager, I do get a tab!!

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
After disabling all add-ons and then re-enabling one-by-one, I traced it to the ancient Google Toolbar for Firefox. It only worked because I've been hacking it's install file to allow higher versions.

Pankaj

@bsnl.in
Thanks Andyross, for this post.

I had the same issue and took your advice and disabled the Google Toolbar. That sorted out the problem.

I have no installed the Googlebar Lite addon and find that it pretty much does all that the old Google toolbar was doing for me.

Cheers!

Pankaj

verizonnet

@vodafone.it
not all, you don't have google suggestions when you tart writing into the text box

Pankaj

@bsnl.in
said by Anon80:

not all, you don't have google suggestions when you tart writing into the text box

True, verizonnet.

But that's the price you and I have to pay because Google doesn't want to provide its toolbar for Firefox!

Considering that change is a fact of life, the lesson here is that it is better not to get so fond of features that one is unable to live without them at a later stage.

Cheers!

Pankaj

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to andyross
Someone posted a workaround to allow the old Google Toolbar to work with FF24.

After going to about:config, change "browser.newtab.preload" to FALSE. Close and re-open Firefox, and the old Google Toolbar should get along fine with opening new tabs.
»support.mozilla.org/questions/96···r-485381