how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grafix9

join:2006-03-11
Montreal, QC

Cisco SPA122

I have a Cisco SPA122 serving my voip service. I was told by the supplier that once I put the unit into bridge mode I would no longer have access to the configuration page. So be it. Within the configuration I set the ip address in the Network Settings to match my local private network, since the ata was behind my router. I can in fact access the configuration with this setup. So I am wondering: Why would bridge mode explicitly not allow access to the web interface? Not every one would want to peek and poke around the setup, but I needed to tweak a setting because of the way my answering machine malfunctioned with the default setup. An easy fix once I knew what to tweak.

So ask summarily: are there inherent issues of security when configuring a Cisco SPA122 in bridge mode with a private ip address as described above?

What I really want to see is call logging -- such that I can see all of the calls placed and incoming to my phone number. Tips about this final feature request are most welcome. Probably need to run asterix rather than the ATA.

Advice welcome.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1

Bridge mode is fine, just give the SPA122 an IP outside the DHCP Scope--ie

Your router gives out IP's from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254 so give the SPA122 an IP of 192.168.1.3.

grafix9

join:2006-03-11
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Well yeah and thats basically what I did. I have a narrow range of dhcp addresses available because all of my machines are 24/7 connected, so I found static local ips to be more efficent.

I wonder why the voip supplier is so adamant about putting the unit in bridge mode makes it inaccessible. I'm guessing that the supplier figures that the average user doesn't want or need to access the configuration once the unit is set up. As stated my answering machine did not work properly until I twiddled a value in the appropriate configuration section.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to grafix9

This article help you out at all?

Maybe the provider just hasn't read the manual yet...

Regards