share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to Warmachine99

Re: Let the kudos fall where they may

said by Warmachine99:

No. Ads do not pay for the content that I want to watch. The re-transmit fees pay for what I want to watch. If I choose to fast forward over the commercials, its because I could care less about boner pills and that nasty yogurt that is supposed to make my intestines work better.

Well if the networks can't make money on ads expect re-transmission fees to go WAY up. The scenario where you think you get no advertising and high quality or even marginal quality TV and the networks not making up that loss of income elsewhere doesn't exist. That's the reality. people need to quit having these fantasies where everything is super good and free. No such thing as a free lunch.

Oh and the 10% that watch TV via OTA they don't pay re-transmission fees. So how are the networks making money from them without ads?

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

2 recommendations

»www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new···y-awards

TV AND FILM STREAMING SERVICE Netflix has won its first two Emmy awards for its original TV series House of Cards.
The Creative Arts Emmy Awards event was held in the US on Sunday, a week ahead of the Primetime Emmy Awards, and it looks like Netflix was the talk of the evening.
Political thriller House of Cards became the first online-only TV show nominated for an Emmy, having scored nine nominations in July, and it has now become the first online-only series to win big at the awards.
Netflix's first win of the night was in the Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series category, with House of Cards besting Downton Abbey, Homeland and Game of Thrones for its stellar cast, which includes Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Kate Mara and Corey Stoll.

Try again home boy.

Premium
West Tenness

said by TOPDAWG:

»www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new···y-awards

TV AND FILM STREAMING SERVICE Netflix has won its first two Emmy awards for its original TV series House of Cards.
The Creative Arts Emmy Awards event was held in the US on Sunday, a week ahead of the Primetime Emmy Awards, and it looks like Netflix was the talk of the evening.
Political thriller House of Cards became the first online-only TV show nominated for an Emmy, having scored nine nominations in July, and it has now become the first online-only series to win big at the awards.
Netflix's first win of the night was in the Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series category, with House of Cards besting Downton Abbey, Homeland and Game of Thrones for its stellar cast, which includes Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Kate Mara and Corey Stoll.

Try again home boy.

Yeah and......? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Home boy? Can you discuss a topic without insulting someone just because you don't agree with them?

By the way Netflix get $8 a month per subscriber. You want the networks to charge $8 each? hey only $1000 a month for cable.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

I think ESPN is already $15 of your cable bill with no way to opt out.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

where did a insult you? netflix gives you a ton of shows and movie for 8 bucks a month. way way more then you'll ever find on a single network. you said you can't get get shows without ads I give you an exp of that not being true.

cable is a waste of money. money be damned networks want the most bang for the buck and if making the so called reality TV is penny's on the dollar they'll still ask for the same prices you pay now they don't want a fair price they want as much money as they can get.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

Oh and the 10% that watch TV via OTA they don't pay re-transmission fees. So how are the networks making money from them without ads?

10%... Effectively, they don't care about that small number ! With non-OTA viewers, 80+ % of their viewers, they double-dip -- they get advertising revenue (it's still based on the # of viewers irregardless of whether they skip commercials or not) AND re-transmission fees. In the past, they chose must-carry (for cable) because it increased their viewer numbers substantially. That in turn increased what they could demand from advertisers. It's nothing but greed from them....

Premium
West Tenness
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

where did a insult you?

you called me home boy. There wasn't any reason for that.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to 88615298

i would gladly trade CBS NBC ABC and Fox for the BBC fees and all
the BBC puts out great programing and no ads

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to 88615298

That loss income will come via higher prices for higher quality content and shows that people actually want to watch. However the perception here is that based on actual usage you will spend less right now than you would being subscribed to 100+ channels with nothing you care about or will miss unless you pay extra for a DVR. I don't have cable but my parents do for simply two or three shows. If they purchased the shows directly they could be saving over $100 dollars every month.

TheHelpful1
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to 88615298

I am exclusive OTA + Netflix. For my OTA service, I built an HTPC with 3 HD Tuners connected to BeyondTV, which cuts out the commercials for me so I rarely see an ad.
--
"My weakness is that I care too much"

Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

Being called homeboy is not an insult and to consider it as such is ridiculous. I personally don't use the term but, its not an insult nor is it meant as such by any means.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to 88615298

Sure, let them charge $8 per month per network, not channels. There are what 5 networks worth watching and paying for?

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to 88615298

Please explain to me how you think networks make money on ads.

The only way I'm aware the networks make money from commercials is by the selling of air time (i.e. commericals, infomercials, etc.) to sponsors. Networks don't make any money directly off the product or service being advertised, the sponsor does.

So if you skip or fast forward a commerical the only one potentially missing out on making money is the sponsor, NOT the network. They already made their money by the selling of the air time.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by jpatton1979:

Please explain to me how you think networks make money on ads.

The only way I'm aware the networks make money from commercials is by the selling of air time (i.e. commericals, infomercials, etc.) to sponsors.

People understand that to mean the same thing. You're correct that the network doesn't make money from the ads, they make it from the air time that the ad uses.

The issue with DVRs may in fact come from the advertiser. A network says "X" people watch show "a" and come up with a $ amount to advertise during it. The advertiser gets data that says, yes, "X" people do in fact watch the show, but "Y" people have a DVR. They have to err in their favor and say that those DVR users probably don't watch commercials, so they're not willing to pay or count them.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY

"Most" people understand that. I directed that question to BF69, since his post led me to believe he thinks a network's advertising income is directly related to whether or not people watch the commercials. I was just setting him straight.

Where would advertisers get the number of people using a DVR? I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Cox, TWC, etc. doesn't divulge that information to advertisers (or anyone outside their respective company for that matter).

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Nielsen tracks DVR viewers now and have for a number of years. The networks, of course, will argue "not everyone skips commercials -- our data indicates only 10% do" or some made-up bull****, while the advertiser will want to claim a different %.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

I've been a "Nielsen Family" a couple of times. Nielsen tracks what people tell them. Unless you're one of the few that has hardware installed to track viewing, you're just filling out a survey and returning it. Let's just say I wasn't always diligent or truthful. I'm sure I'm not the only one...
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Whether the data is accurate or not isn't the point.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

1 recommendation

said by Hall:

Whether the data is accurate or not isn't the point.

If the figures used to price advertising are meaningless, then the prices are arbitrary and any profit "loss" claims are specious.
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...