All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pauly1
join:2013-09-18

pauly1

Wireless Internet Stick in Canada

Im looking to get a wireless stick for internet for my laptop. My wifi is really bad in my apartment. I will be moving to another apartment in less than 2 weeks and that apartment i know has very fast and reliable internet. Im an american that relocated to canada for a few months and got here a few weeks ago. I checked the rogers site and it cost 170 before tax if you dont want the 2 year agreement and just want the monthly plan. However, i know for rogers, there are a ton of hidden costs and i like to know about it.

First off, i read that if you have this wireless stick, it cost $15 to activate. Is this true or false? Then depending how much mb you use per month, it shows this on the website.

Flex Rate Plans

For Rocket™ stick, mobile hotspot, or Rocket built-in

Do your internet needs change from month to month? Each month the Rogers Flex Rate Plan begins at the lowest tier then automatically adjusts based on your actual usage, offering flexibility and savings on potential overage rates.

MONTHLY SERVICE FEE† Wireless Internet Included
$5.00/mo 10 MB

If usage is greater than 10 MB, the next tier will be charged
$10.00/mo 100 MB

If usage is greater than 100 MB, the next tier will be charged
$20.00/mo 500 MB

If usage is greater than 500 MB, the next tier will be charged
$40.00/mo 5 GB

If usage is greater than 5 GB, $10 per additional GB will be charged*
Features Included
3 email addresses3
Rogers Online Protection security suite
Available on a monthly year term.
† Includes all monthly fees.
* If you exceed the amount of data included in your plan, it will be charged in $10 increments.

I know this is for the monthly plans. If you choose the 2 year plan you can get the stick 29.99 but you have to pay more for it.

For someone that needs this as a backup internet for the laptop, assuming you use up 90mb for the month. That means you are charged 10 CAD for the month. I know canadian tax is 15% so 1.50 cad here for 11.50 total. But i also read rogers has hidden fees that they don't advertise such as a 6.95 fee for something else and then another 0.50 fee for emergency calls? Is this true? So if you use 90mb per month its basically $19.25/month? So if you don't even use any mb or use between 0 and 10mb, then its 5 CAD plus 0.75CAD so 5.75 CAD but then you hae to add the 7.45 CAD for other taxes and thus its 13.20 CAD?

Is this about right? I would like to know from someone who has used rogers wireless stick before. Also, how is the connection? Is it pretty reliable?

Would it be better going this route as oppose to getting a koodo phone and then getting a data plan? The thing is i have zero use for a cell phone as i already have a landline. So if i get a smartphone only use is tethering internet so that means the rocket stick is better?

Also is it true that there are lot of overages? I read online that many ppl said they didn't even download much etc but then they got billed for over 100 dollars per month and being told they used over 10gb when they never watched any youtube or used any site at all.

I also heard that other companies in canada are telus and bell but they don't seem to offer monthly plans? I need backup internet b/c my wifi at my apartment is really bad and disconnect a lot. I also want to have backup internet in the other apartment i move to just in case the internet goes down. this place im at uses wifi and so does the other one.

Im planning to be here for another 2 month-5 month so i would want a backup internet that is very very reliable. Thank you.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

Check out Wind Mobile offerings: »www.windmobile.ca/en/Pag ··· 42056882

For $35/month you can get 10GB of usage at full speed and then unlimited thereafter at a slightly reduced speed.

I would avoid Rogers/Bell for this as their services are fast/reliable but very costly.

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

habskilla to pauly1

to pauly1
said by pauly1:

First off, i read that if you have this wireless stick, it cost $15 to activate. Is this true or false?

Yes, this is true.
said by pauly1:

For someone that needs this as a backup internet for the laptop, assuming you use up 90mb for the month. That means you are charged 10 CAD for the month. I know canadian tax is 15% so 1.50 cad here for 11.50 total. But i also read rogers has hidden fees that they don't advertise such as a 6.95 fee for something else and then another 0.50 fee for emergency calls? Is this true? So if you use 90mb per month its basically $19.25/month? So if you don't even use any mb or use between 0 and 10mb, then its 5 CAD plus 0.75CAD so 5.75 CAD but then you hae to add the 7.45 CAD for other taxes and thus its 13.20 CAD?

Is this about right? I would like to know from someone who has used rogers wireless stick before.

No extra hidden fees. Your first bill will have the $15 connection fee + your small usage.
said by pauly1:

Also, how is the connection? Is it pretty reliable?

I returned mine. Connection was rarely LTE, most of the time HSPA. I used it in a house located in the Burnhamthorpe and Renforth Rds area. Switched to a Bell Rocket stick and now I'm getting full, rock solid LTE speeds.
said by pauly1:

Would it be better going this route as oppose to getting a koodo phone and then getting a data plan? The thing is i have zero use for a cell phone as i already have a landline. So if i get a smartphone only use is tethering internet so that means the rocket stick is better?

I came to the same conclusion. Rocket stick would be better.
said by pauly1:

Also is it true that there are lot of overages? I read online that many ppl said they didn't even download much etc but then they got billed for over 100 dollars per month and being told they used over 10gb when they never watched any youtube or used any site at all.

Monitor and record your usage and hope for the best.
said by pauly1:

I also heard that other companies in canada are telus and bell but they don't seem to offer monthly plans? I need backup internet b/c my wifi at my apartment is really bad and disconnect a lot. I also want to have backup internet in the other apartment i move to just in case the internet goes down. this place im at uses wifi and so does the other one.

Im planning to be here for another 2 month-5 month so i would want a backup internet that is very very reliable. Thank you.

I started travelling to Toronto for business this year. Unfortunately, where I'm staying, all that is available is Wind wireless internet. In one word, HORRIBLE. I tried Rogers and that didn't work out. So I tried Bell and wow. I need a strong fast reliable internet connect and Bell delivered in spades. Granted, it really depends on where you are, but Bell has been rock solid. It's like I'm right on the LAN at work. I really don't notice any lag or such.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Have you looked at Telus? They share the network with Bell.

The Telus mobile HotSpot is a Sierra Wireless device and Telus will unlock it after 3 months. It operates on a multitude of frequencies (will work with all Canadian carriers) so you should be able to get some use from it in the US as well.

Telus offers 'flex' plans too.