Rated R
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Attleboro, MA

2 recommendations

reply to 88615298

Re: Networks did it to themselves

said by 88615298:

Yeah keep thinking you can stick it to the man. Enjoy constant banners running on the bottom during programing so even when you fast forward its still there. Enjoy HUGE increases in the rates networks charge. Enjoy fewer new shows more re-run. More showing the same content over and over again. more cheap reality Tv crap. More infomercials. It's funny and somewhat sad that all the people that think they can force the content producers to do anything.

Nice straw man argument. Why can't his position be "stop showing so many damned commercials!?"

Advertising has gotten way too disruptive over the years. It is the sole reason that I very rarely watch live TV. I refuse to be subjected to so many interruptions. If they do what you say they will, even more people will stop watching TV. There are other forms of entertainment besides live television.
--
One nation, under Zod!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

And of course that isn't what would happen. All stations being compelled by the market to show fewer commercials would mean higher ad rates per commercial. These networks have engaged in a race to the bottom and consumers aren't going to tolerate it. If networks want to be dumb and run a banner across the bottom, they will get zero ratings.
--
Nocchi rules.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to RRedline

said by RRedline:

Advertising has gotten way too disruptive over the years. It is the sole reason that I very rarely watch live TV. I refuse to be subjected to so many interruptions. If they do what you say they will, even more people will stop watching TV. There are other forms of entertainment besides live television.

I don't see ads getting any less ... they just keep piling them on and on and on ... and then they started showing those annoying "bugs" and station identification logos at the bottom of the screen 2-3 years ago which entirely disrupt ANY show or movie that has subtitles. They really do NOT care that they are ruining the viewing of the content.

What we are seeing is greed ... plain and simple.

Part of the cord cutting phenomenon is as much due to these commercial interruptions as it is to the high costs.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to RRedline

said by RRedline:

said by 88615298:

Yeah keep thinking you can stick it to the man. Enjoy constant banners running on the bottom during programing so even when you fast forward its still there. Enjoy HUGE increases in the rates networks charge. Enjoy fewer new shows more re-run. More showing the same content over and over again. more cheap reality Tv crap. More infomercials. It's funny and somewhat sad that all the people that think they can force the content producers to do anything.

Nice straw man argument. Why can't his position be "stop showing so many damned commercials!?"

Actually you are making my point. You don't like all the ads you simply don't watch. Nothing wrong with that. These people want their cake and eat it too. If they don't like they ads then they don't watch. Not watch and skip.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC

3 recommendations

Torrents are much easier; commercials already edited out, station logo watermark usually blurred out, crawls get cropped. Any show with any kind of ratings usually hits the web a few hours after airing. With RSS feeds, new shows are automatically downloaded and waiting. Best DVR there is.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to skeechan

CNBC is bad with the crawlers and is annoying. i just zoom the TV to push these out of view.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to CXM_Splicer

Irony abounds when a staunch union man such as yourself sings the praises of bittorrent, which last I checked doesn't pay any royalties to the unionized production crews and writers who help create the content you're downloading...

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

I am full of irony and actually not as staunch as many others in here Coming from an anti-union perspective, I suppose anyone that says anything good about unions is as good as singing accolades.

It is pretty easy to separate the two points; over commercialization (greed) is killing the quality of television, people are seeking alternatives. It has nothing to do with unions.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Some would dispute the notion that there was ever such a thing as 'quality television'....

Others might say that modern television allows you to tell a story (Breaking Bad) that would never have been told during the supposed glory days of TV.

Either way, I concur that the decline (real or imagined) in TV has nothing to do with unions. I just find it ironic that you'd tacitly endorse something that takes money out of the pocket of your union colleagues (Screen Actors Guild, Writers Guild, Teamsters, IATSE, etc.)

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

said by Crookshanks:

Some would dispute the notion that there was ever such a thing as 'quality television'....

Agree with you there, even before the decline it was called an 'idiot box'. I think that started back in the '50s.

TurtleFan

join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to RRedline

this is another reason why I stopped watching TV almost altogether. From Insipid product placement (having a ford as your 'base of operations' in ghost hunters? Really?) to one dumb reality show after another (come on TLC, Alaskan women looking for love? ).......TV will kill itself in 20 years at this rate.

honey Boo Boo is the last straw for me. when you get poop discussions on tv...(I don't watch the show, but radio playback clips are more than enough)...