Search similar:

uniqs
Goliath
join:2007-01-19
Easton, PA

1 edit

Goliath

[Speed] Horrible SPEED..Easton, PA

Im currently at my mothers house and im experiencing horrible speeds for over 2 months.. i rarely use her PC but when i did i noticed that things were taking forever to download and decided to do a speedtest. She was averaging speeds from 5-7mb down. her plan is an older one and is setup for 20mb service..

yesterday 9/17 i had a tech come out and check all her connections and said that the issue was her modem.. i decided to do a speedtest today and behold, 2.87mb down..

can someone please check out whats going on..

Encoded Mac: 9aef29affec8cf37c04ae977b6dd7f6c75fd1d2b

davee
@rcn.com

davee

Anon

[Speed] Re: Horrible SPEED..

So if tech said it was the modem then did he replace it?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Goliath

MVM

to Goliath
What is the make/model of the modem?
Can you post the signal levels?
System

to Goliath

Anon

to Goliath

[Speed] (topic move) Horrible SPEED..

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Speed] Horrible SPEED..DC
Goliath
Easton, PA

Goliath

[Speed] Re: Horrible SPEED..Easton, PA

** The tech did in fact change out my modem..

I had another appointment on Friday 9/20. The amplifier on the pole needed adjustment. That was the reason for my high transmit level (that was corrected).

But I am still having my original issue.. im not getting the advertised 20mb download speed around peak hours. Sometimes it's 7mb but never higher then 10mb.. Can someone please check into this.

Could it be a capacity issue? FYI: I have tried multiple computers hardwired directly into the modem.

SHoDexter
@rcn.com

SHoDexter

Anon

Is the new modem that u got docsis 2 or 3? Me thinks it would be foolish for them to give a docsis 2 modem cause theoretically can go up to 40meg but if your node is saturated with docsis 2 modems then it will be hard to ever get your advertised speed. Good luck.
Goliath
Easton, PA

Goliath

It is in fact a docsis 2 modem.. It's an arris phone/modem combo.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

Possibly you have the same issue as I do in Bethlehem.

I have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem/telephony and an 802.11/n router, but I can never get above 10-12 Mbps with my computer using an 802.11/g wireless card. I have no problem with another computer using 802.11/n wireless.

The easy solution would be to update the 802.11/g wireless, but the computer is so old they don't make cards in that size anymore. I already have two things on my USB ports so I don't want to make my laptop any more immobile.
Goliath
Easton, PA

Goliath

i believe my issue is a congestion problem. the computer(s) im using to test my speeds were hardwired in.. they're both about a year old with tons of ram and only a virus protection (nod32) running in the background at the time(s) of my speedtests..
Goliath

Goliath

Click for full size
its 2:54pm on a saturday.. should be getting 20MB down. can someone please look into my issue.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

1 edit

Pacomartin

For what it is worth, I am getting almost the same numbers as you with an 802.11/g wireless card
: 100.0 MB (104857600 bytes)
: 126.78 seconds (126782 milliseconds)
= 827.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 0.83 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 6616.0 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
= 6.62 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

With another computer using 802.11/n wireless device I am getting 23.2 Mbps (my service is advertised at 25 Mbps).

It is 11:30 AM on a Monday,

I am using an ARRIS TM602G/115 which is a DOCSIS 2.0 model with telephony. The router is 802.11/n.

I don't know if my experience helps you at all, as I believe you have your computer hard wired.
Goliath
Easton, PA

Goliath

Re: [Speed] Horrible SPEED..Easton, PA

Bump; because I'm still seeing less then half of my advertised speed.
Goliath

Goliath

swapped my modem for a docsis 3.0 and all seems well.

* mod please close this thread.
DarkMage1
join:2005-12-06

DarkMage1

Hey there, just out of curiosity, did RCN swap out the modem for you or did you end up purchasing your own DOCSIS 3.0 modem?

I've been having the exact same problems over here in Boston forever now. When I asked for a 3.0 modem, they told me it would only be possible if I paid for a higher speed tier.
Goliath
Easton, PA

Goliath

It was a battle, but they ended up swapping the modem out for me. I guess once they see that you've been experiencing these issues long enough, they'll do it for you. I ended up speaking to a manager and she saw all my troubles.

Hope this helps.
DarkMage1
join:2005-12-06

DarkMage1

Well, that gives me some hope. I was hoping the issue would resolve itself, but after multiple tech visits, they tell me they'll try monitoring the area. Who knows how long that will take.
Goliath
Easton, PA

Goliath

dont give up.. hopefully you had everything documented on your account. give them a call and explain your situation; hopefully it works out for you..