Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

What is this 8-pin connector?

HD
I'm building a new PC for my daughter. Everything has been going well. I picked up this WD VelociRaptor 500GB 10000 RPM drive and it has this 8-pin connector on the back. The power supply I purchased does not have any plug that looks like this and I have not run across it before.
The last time I built a computer from the ground-up SATA did not exist, so I am assuming this is something newish that I have just not run in to yet.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Those are jumpers, not power pins. SATA drives take a different power connection than IDE drives did. The edge connector on the far right in your picture is where the power cable connects.
HarryH3

HarryH3 to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
Here's a picture of a power adapter, in case your power supply doesn't already have SATA power connectors.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 12104652

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

2 edits

Maxo

Premium Member

I have all the SATA hooked up. Given that this drive didn't come with jumpers should it be safe to assume it should just work that way? I didn't think SATA required jumpers since the the old IDE concept of slave and master, primary and secondary isn't really relevant. I have another SATA SSD HD with no jumpers on the back and same for my optical and SSD drive.
HarryH3
Premium Member

1 recommendation

HarryH3

Premium Member

You usually don't need to use any jumpers. Sometimes you have to install a single jumper to force the drive to use only SATA I mode, but this is only needed with really old controllers that don't understand SATA II or SATA III protocols.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

1 recommendation

JoelC707

Premium Member

Here's what WD says those jumpers do on their drives: »wdc.custhelp.com/app/ans ··· ktopjump

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Maxo

to Maxo
I've lost track of how many computers I've built now and I have never once jumpered a hard drive.
HarryH3
Premium Member

3 recommendations

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by Raible:

I've lost track of how many computers I've built now and I have never once jumpered a hard drive.

You must be a young whipper-snapper! Back in the day jumpers were a necessity. I kept a pack of spares in my field service kit. Needed them if you wanted to install more than one IDE hard drive, optical drive or even floppy drive.

Most things today are just plug and play.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by HarryH3:

said by Raible:

You must be a young whipper-snapper! Back in the day jumpers were a necessity. I kept a pack of spares in my field service kit. Needed them if you wanted to install more than one IDE hard drive, optical drive or even floppy drive.

Most things today are just plug and play.

I still have a few jumpers around, just in case.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
I've got a system that refuses to use cable select, even after a bios update to correct it. so, yeah it's always fun especially with drives that are not marked.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
Did you notice on those WD images, that the title says SATA, but yet the images show the IDE power supply connector.
I guess it's part of that "just good enough" mentality.
said by JoelC707:

Here's what WD says those jumpers do on their drives: »wdc.custhelp.com/app/ans ··· ktopjump

JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Actually a lot of the early SATA drives had both power connectors on them for backwards compatibility. That said, the actual KB article is fairly universal, covering 2.5"/3.5", IDE/SATA/SSD, etc.