uniqs

aight
join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

aight to lev

to lev

Re: I need your opinion

said by lev:

Never mind. It'd only be wasted advice anyway.

I have read tons of you previous posts here and you are a very smart and reasonable person and I appreciate your advice.

My goal here is to really get my phone back. I'm sure everyone's
financial situation is different. I can't afford not be compensated &
also spend time driving to and from 2600 California ave. and not get paid by my work.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev

Then I'll repeat what I said. If you appreciate the police's position on this, and show a desire for their to be reimbursed for their efforts as well as you for your phone, they very well might be motivated to talk to whoever might be prosecuting to see that an arrangement eventually happens. It costs everyone money to go to court, but if they get him to sign an agreement that this person, over time, pays back both you and the police department (who certainly invested more manpower hours than your phone is worth) OR accepts jail time without a fight if he defaults...

I'm not a lawyer. I do, however, broker deals when called upon. And people will work harder for you if you acknowledge their effort, and that it has value. They'll could tell the people that they work with that you're a good risk for extra effort.

IF such a thing can be done (and it's just one scenario)... if this man accepts an agreement that for him means no court and no immediate risk of jail, and you eventually get repaid, as well as the Police, that's a win for everyone. If such an agreement can be made and he breaks it, there is no trial. He goes to jail.

So then you're not out of work. Try the path of respect first. It can yield surprising results. I've made some of my best contacts, and some pretty good friends that way.

jsinaiko
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

jsinaiko to aight

Premium Member

to aight
If this happened outside of Chicago in Cook County chances are you would be going to the Maywood, Skokie, or Harvey (or whichever burb the southern court is in), not 26th and Cal.

It's also the case that if the victim contacts the prosecutors assigned to the case, and shows up in court, it usually affects the way the state pursues the case. I doubt you will get your phone back, but even if they eventually expunge he records, he's never have a first offense again - you only get one first offense. I generally think it's a good idea to follow though one the cops are involved.
jsinaiko

jsinaiko to lev

Premium Member

to lev
Hah! I just said more or less the same thing.

lev

Goodyear, AZ

1 recommendation

lev

Yes, you did, but I said it first. And was enough of a mature gentleman to recommend your post. That's two high quality beers you owe me.

jsinaiko
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

jsinaiko

Premium Member

Fair enough. Two Miller 64s heading your way!

OK, OK, a few micro-brews of your choosing. There are new a couple of breweries near our place in SW Michigan. I'll pick something up and send up to the near NW burbs ASAP!

lev

Goodyear, AZ

lev

Bah, I'm easy. I'll settle for a single Guinness.

Back to the topic, a shorter way of saying it is probably, "The law helps those who help themselves."

jsinaiko
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

jsinaiko

Premium Member

Exactly. Prosecutors have to deal with victims - plaintiffs, although the actual plaintiffs are the people of the state of Illinois, who are often crooks themselves, or don't show up, or can't get the story straight, or have major substance abuse issues, or are just plain old morons. SO they tend to look at most minor crimes of this sort with a jaundiced eye until the victim shows some commitment to participating and assisting in the process. If you show them you are serious, they'll be serious too.