Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

machpost

join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

1 edit

[Speed] Horrible SPEED..DC

My connection in DC has been a mess over the last few days, as well.

Split from »[Speed] Horrible SPEED..Easton, PA. - sash

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:18

2 recommendations

[Speed] Re: Horrible SPEED..DC

How about your encoded MAC address if you want some help with this?
Expand your moderator at work

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to machpost

[Speed] Re: Horrible SPEED..DC

It's actually as fast as it's been in months right now. I saw an RCN truck on my street yesterday, maybe they were working on something.

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to machpost
I take that back... I should be seeing 25mbps, but at night, I'm maxing out at 9.07mbps. It's often slower than that; I'm trying to watch videos on the Vevo app on my Apple TV, and it's stopping to re-buffer multiple times. I'm seeing 2-3mbps down typically in the evenings. Encoded Mac: 329b97ed402d3e6d76e7f0b9f56e375f16411a0c

By the way, I have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem that's around eight years old... If I take it to the local RCN office, can I exchange it on the spot for a newer one, or do I have to schedule a truck roll?

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to machpost

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
what are your signal levels like from »192.168.100.1 ?
Also, have you tested your speed during off peak (early morning like around 6am?)
If your speeds look reasonable at that time, you probably have congestion issues which won't be solved by a truck roll.
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

machpost

Washington, DC
All signal levels are consistent, and within spec, with the exception of Forward SNR, which has always been borderline. My speeds are fine during the daytime, but after 8pm or so, things usually slow down to around 3mbps down. I'm almost certain it's congestion.

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to machpost
Annnnnd, as expected, I'm maxing out at 5.29mbps right now.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
We hear you. I hope the mods and RCN reps are working on your behalf to sort the issue out for you. Sorry I can't offer you more help than what I already have.
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

machpost

Washington, DC
said by cchhat01:

We hear you. I hope the mods and RCN reps are working on your behalf to sort the issue out for you. Sorry I can't offer you more help than what I already have.

Thanks for your help.

Topping out at 4.68Mbps at 10pm on a Sunday night.

I wish someone from RCN would at least acknowledge that they're looking into it. Capacity issues seem to be a low priority these days.

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to machpost

Re: [Speed] Horrible SPEED..DC

I had my circa-2006 DOCSIS 2 modem swapped out for a new Arris DOCSIS 3 model last week, and it seems to have solved my speed problems. Is it possible for there to be capacity issues with one standard, but not the other?

Goliath

join:2007-01-19
Easton, PA
reply to machpost
Hey machpost, you think I could get mine swapped out even though I'm only on a 20mb tier?

machpost

Washington, DC
said by Goliath:

Hey machpost, you think I could get mine swapped out even though I'm only on a 20mb tier?

I'm also on the same tier (25mb, I believe). But I had to get mine swapped out because RCN is apparently phasing out support for older modem tech in my area. Try calling them and see if they'll come out and swap it out.

claygreenber
Premium
join:2007-08-02
Washington, DC
reply to machpost
Same here. Very slow speeds for the last couple of days. Tonight (11:22 pm on a Tuesday night), I am getting max of 4 Mbps down. Should be getting 25.