how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

surtr

@qwest.net

FTTH router question

Hey everyone -

I'm in Broomfield CO and have centurylink fiber to the home 40Mbps/20Mbps service and love it. It was installed with a zyxel FR1000z router rented from CL -- I'm pretty sure that it's just taking raw ethernet in and running PPPoE. Since I've got a couple of extra routers, I'd like to replace the zyxel with one of those, but can't figure out the settings (service name, PPP Compressino, MPPE Encryption, etc.). Anyone have any ideas? I tried configuring one of my DD-WRT routers as PPPoE, with the username, MTU, etc. that I was able to pull from the zyxel but to no avail... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Justin

TAZ

@qwest.net

1 edit

They seriously use PPP for FTTH? Wow...

There shouldn't be any special configuration needed for PPPoE. Since that's not working, I suspect you probably need to configure an 802.1Q (VLAN) tag on that port. I don't know what VLAN ID they would use for FTTH, but if that is the case you should probably be able to find it in the ZyXEL's config. They use 201 for VDSL2, so maybe it's the same?

(Also before anyone tries to suggest the OP actually has DSL, like what happened in one of the last threads, that FR1000z isn't a DSL modem.)

surtr

join:2013-09-20

Click for full size
Click for full size
So it looks like it's using VLan ID 201, but I'm not sure how to configure that in DD-WRT; I'm guessing that I want to add a VLAN tag as shown here, I assume on eth0 since that's the wan port. Does the config shown in these screenshots look about right? Doesn't seem to be working...

TAZ

@qwest.net

I haven't used DD-WRT but a few ideas:

- disable T-Home VDSL 7 VLAN tagging in the WAN settings
- see if there's an option in "WAN port assignment" on the VLAN page, to change that to the vlan interface

surtr

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Shoot, well no luck. Tried several different variations; ended up with the following. I bet it's something with the vlan settings; I'll keep trying and report back if I have any luck.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to surtr

Yes I know an other provider uses PPPOE for there fiber connection it doesnt surprise me any that centurylink does.

TAZ

@qwest.net
reply to surtr

so it's still trying to make the PPPoE connection on eth0, not vlan1. (You can verify that if you want to with tcpdump and checking for the presence of an 802.1Q tag on the PPPoED packets, although it's kind of pointless. If you do that it's probably easier to save it to a pcap and open it locally with Wireshark.)

Within this Web interface I can't think of what else to try, unfortunately I did some quick googling and found other similar issues but no actual solutions, besides for VLAN 7 (why they implemented a checkbox for that instead of just adding a VLAN tag field is beyond me). Actually this one seems to have suggested exactly what I suggested, but it didn't work in this case either: »www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=547367

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to surtr

it won't work with DD-WRT if you need to use vlan 201. does your router support tomato?

surtr

I think so -- it's an asus RT-n12 which looks like it does. I'll give it a shot.

Technicholas
Premium
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA
reply to surtr

They use to use DHCP, but went to PPPoE then they installed all those modems.

bikenski

join:2010-06-22
Denver, CO
reply to surtr

Has CenturyLink really rolled out Fiber to the HOME (FTTH) in Broomfield, or are you actually served by Fiber to the NODE (FTTN) with VDSL2 brought into your home on the copper phone line?

I haven't seen any sort of announcement that CL is pulling fiber all the way to the home in the north metro area, but that would be great news if they're doing so!

surtr

Yep, they pulled fiber to a box on the outside of my house, then copper (cat5) from that box to the router in my basement. It's a brand new subdivision; not sure if they are doing it elsewhere in broomfield. They offered speeds ranging from 40Mb/5Mb to 100/100. They aren't yet offering prism over the fiber though.

surtr

So I gave up trying to get this to work with DD-WRT. Bought a Zyxel USG50 firewall and will try to get it working with that. More to come (hopefully).

TAZ

@qwest.net

Nice. Proper enterprise-grade equipment FTW.

Found this with a quick search: »/r0/down···orum.pdf - that looks like it's what you need.

plat2on1

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to surtr

like I said up there it will never work with dd-wrt. they just don't support vids higher than 15 on switch in the current code. you need to use tomato to do that.

TAZ

@qwest.net

Is that really a DD-WRT thing or is it a hardware issue? My first instinct would be that the switch is only able to set 4 bits of the VID. If that's the case, it would be a hardware issue and I can't see how Tomato (or any other firmware) could bypass that.

In any case, it doesn't matter since OP is using a USG now.

plat2on1

Hopewell Junction, NY

not a hardware limitation just how its implemented in dd-wrt. the older broadcom switches support 16 vlans and all 4096 vids and the newer ones support 4096 vlans and vids.

surtr

reply to TAZ

said by TAZ :

Nice. Proper enterprise-grade equipment FTW.

Found this with a quick search: »/r0/down···orum.pdf - that looks like it's what you need.

Hey guys - this worked perfectly. I followed these settings almost exactly. Main difference was to use vlan 201 instead of 6. I'll post my settings up here shortly. Thanks for all the help!

-Justin

surtr

reply to surtr

As promised, here's my settings:

1. ISP Account object:
- Object -> ISP Account: centurylink
- protocol: pppoe
- authentication type: Chap/PAP
- username: [yourusername@qwest.net]
- password: [your password]
- Compression: off
- idle timeout: 0

2. vlan interface
- Network -> Interface -> VLAN
- name: vlan201
- Interface type: external
- zone: WAN
- Base port: wan1
- VLAN ID: 201
-IP Address ASsignment: Get Automatically
- Egress Bandwidth: 1048576 Kbps
- Ingress Bandwidth: 1048576 Kbps
- MTU: 1500 Bytes (I think this was supposed to be 1496, but I must've screwed up. This works; is the extra 4 bytes for the vlan tag?)

3. PPP config
- Network -> Interface -> PPP
- Interface name: ppp0
- Base interface: vlan201 (created in step 2)
- Zone: WAN
- Connectivity: Nailed-Up
- Account Profile: centurylink
- IP Address Assignment: Get Automatically
- Egress Bandwidth: 1048576 Kbps

4. WAN Trunk (User configuration)
- name: trunk_cl
- Load Balancing Algorithm: Least Load First (I dont' think this matters for single WAN connection)
- Load Balancing Index: Outbound
- Member: ppp0 (created in step 2)

5. Ethernet lan1 config
- set internal IP settings, DNS, DHCP server settings, etc.

That's it. Everything is working great. The only strange thing is that I can't NAT traffic to a virtualbox VM; I think maybe the vlan tagged packets are causing it grief. I can NAT traffic anywhere else, just not there. Will investigate...

TAZ

@qwest.net

said by surtr:

- MTU: 1500 Bytes (I think this was supposed to be 1496, but I must've screwed up. This works; is the extra 4 bytes for the vlan tag?)

No, the MTU of the Ethernet interface is the max payload bytes. The 802.1Q tag is part of the Ethernet header and is not included in that.

I suspect the confusion over the MTU is due to the PPPoE overhead. The MTU _of the PPPoE interface_ is 1492 due to the 8 byte PPPoE header. The MTU of the Ethernet interface is still 1500 though. (Most of the consumer routers don't separate the physical interface from the tunnel interface, which probably doesn't help this confusion.)

See if CTL supports RFC4638 so you can set a 1500 byte MTU on the PPPoE interface and a corresponding 1508 byte MTU on the Ethernet interface. That will very slightly lower overhead and more importantly prevent the need for ridiculous "hacks" like changing the TCP MSS (because braindead server admins can't figure out to not block all ICMP).

said by surtr:

That's it. Everything is working great. The only strange thing is that I can't NAT traffic to a virtualbox VM; I think maybe the vlan tagged packets are causing it grief. I can NAT traffic anywhere else, just not there. Will investigate...

The tag should be stripped when it's NAT'd within your network. Check with Wireshark to be sure but I doubt that would have anything to do with the problem.

surtr

Thanks Taz. Will ask CL about RFC4638 next time I talk to someone knowledgable. As far as the NAT issue to virtualbox it was blatant user error. I had the gateway set incorrectly on the network interface for that VM )

Thanks again for all the help!

-Justin

TAZ

@qwest.net

Don't ask, just try setting it yourself because nobody there is going to know what the hell it is :P

surtr

hah, will do when I get home.