spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

avze

join:2013-08-19

BitLocker or Truecrypt?

Which one should you prefer when it comes to encryption of a full disk drive?
I heard bitlocker has an option to never propmt a user for any passwords on system boot up which does not make any sense to me. I like truecrypt myself.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

Well, one of them is a closed proprietary implementation from a company that has been factually implicated as one of a number of close collaborators in government dragnets, and the other is open source. So there's that argument.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

sbconslt

Los Angeles, CA
reply to avze

This one developer says they were approached and rebuffed them, in any case, but judge for yourself.

»mashable.com/2013/09/11/fbi-micr···ackdoor/

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to sbconslt

Neither one of them are adequate for protection from government access and neither one of them should be used for such a purpose.

The value of disk encryption is to keep the data secure in the event of a lost or stolen system.

Government agencies such as . . . have other means of obtaining the data. For instance a "back door", malware, etc. while the system is online, or detain and coerce for pass code. Unless a person has content worth going to prison over and/or enduring a tremendous amount of coercion to protect, most will give it up in a heartbeat.

Both are probably adequate for their intended purpose.

I like BitLocker myself. Not having to enter a password to unlock the disk is typically due to the use of a TPM. In such a case any default/standard user account names should be disabled or renamed and accounts should be locked for some extended period of time after n failed login attempts. And it should be needless to say that passwords should be reasonably difficult to guess, both manually and via automation.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

sbconslt

Los Angeles, CA

Don't forget though, that if there is a backdoor, others will find out about it and exploit it.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

If there is a backdoor who do you think is going to discover it? The crack head that breaks into your house and steals your computer? No. Most likely if such a back door exists it will be discovered by some math head and publicized before it gets into the hands of common criminals. This is not the typical basement hacker domain of eras gone by.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation