how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

minta7

join:2013-09-20

Wi-Fi going up and down

Hi Guys,

I'm new in this forum and not sure if anybody has posted this before or not. I had SMCD3GN router from Rogers from last 3 years. But from last month i was having some issues with my internet(especially WiFi). The problem is that my internet is going down again and again after some interval of time. The problem is intermittent. I called Rogers, they asked me to change my router which i did and got new router fo same model, but the issue was still there. I called them again and they asked me to use DPC 3825, which I'm currently using and the issue is still there. Does anyone know any solution ? I don't wanna call rogers again to get same reply from them.

Thanks in advance

Joe1988

@atrianetworks.net

There are a lot of variables with the behaviour that you describe.

Are you using the wireless capabilities of DPC 3825 or are you using another router for Wi-fi?

The problem may be with the line.
Or it can be a problem with your wireless adapter.
Or the problem can be with the router [ if you are using something other
than the DPC 3825 ].
Or it can be a bad network cable.
Or
Or it could be a problem with DNS.

Log into your modem via the web page. Check out the power levels during the down times.
If they are not within the appropriate range, then it is a line problem.

If you can access the web using I.P. addresses, then its a DNS problem. Use Google DNS, OpenDNS, Level 3 DNS servers etc. They tend to be better than Rogers DNS.

thepk

@rogers.com

In the Scarborough Area Finch and Middlefield and have been noticing net being twitchy at times... modem has cycled itself twice within the last hour. Anyone else having issues out here?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

said by Anon80:

In the Scarborough Area Finch and Middlefield and have been noticing net being twitchy at times... modem has cycled itself twice within the last hour. Anyone else having issues out here?

Just Rogers fiddling with the network. No biggie...........

chrislea

join:2008-03-29
Scarborough

said by elitefx:

said by Anon80:

Just Rogers fiddling with the network. No biggie...........

No it was big issue is Scarborough.
No TV till 11pm night.

bricksterr

join:2004-08-10
reply to minta7

I had this issue several months back. Loss of internet (Home phone, TV no problem). Constant outages usually lasting no longer than several minutes. At first I thought it was just my wireless (I have it bridged) because that's what I used mostly but soon realized it was the connection. Changing my DNS settings resolved the issue. I've since reset my DNS to Rogers default and the issue hasn't returned so I guess they fixed things on their end finally.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to minta7

There are a few threads on this but I'm having the same issue and no wonder there's 1.5hr waiting time on tech support. For a month now it's up/down randomly it seems.

1) they will never admit there's a problem even when they screw it up and even when they know there's a problem because of you know that "Canada's best network" stuff.

2) tech support are simply drones and they follow a script even when they know the problem is on their side and are instructed to play the dumb script with the usual reboot, give it 10 minutes, it's your router ect.....

3) The plan is to "drag" the issue as long as possible without admitting to a problem in the hope of fixing it before it goes on to long. Admitting to a problem would mean compensation and loss of revenue.

4) Admitting to an ongoing major cable/internet malfunction while trying to sell a secure home protection system that relies on the very same cable/internet is not in their best interest.

I have a gut feeling that older versions of SMCD3GN boxes may need to be replaced in order to adapt to their system. Instead of making an announcement and replacing them at their cost, the goal may be to individually tell clients that they're boxes are broken and need to be updated.

If this persists more than my patience allows a disconnect date may be in my near future.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to minta7

To add insult to injury...

said by rogers :

Effective the date of your next invoice, the monthly service fee for your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet package will increase by $3/month plus applicable taxes. All other aspects of your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service will remain the same.

To add even more insult to injury...

I just rebooted my SMCD3GN because of course I had no IP and now I'm capped at 35mbps while being on Extreme Plus (45mbps) and paying $3/month more.

Time to look at my options.