uniqs

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

telephone pole steps proper name

Does anyone know the proper name of the screw in type telephone pole steps you see on old phone poles used to climb the pole? I need some for my pole.

TheGeeze
Premium Member
join:2002-07-17
united state

TheGeeze

Premium Member

Apparently they are simply called brackets. They are no longer permitted on new poles in the US.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to plk

Premium Member

to plk
Thingies!

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

Thanks for finding my old thread on this issue.

»telephone pole spikes or steps for climbing

The Utility was more then happy to give me the pole and even the wire attached to it.
All kinds of the spike steps around here. I will just wait till more find their way to the ground and go ask for the pole.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to plk

Premium Member

to plk
»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ··· e%20step

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to TheGeeze

Premium Member

to TheGeeze
said by TheGeeze:

Apparently they are simply called brackets. They are no longer permitted on new poles in the US.

Why is that? Explains why I don't see them anymore.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Most likely because someone with the IQ of a goat climbed up a pole to connect "free" cable TV and found out what happens when you get too close to a 13.8 kV neighborhood power line.

We have to protect idiots.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to plk

Premium Member

to plk
believe it or not.. the proper name.. pole steps

»www.macleanseniorindustr ··· ryID=485

»www.arrisistore.com/subc ··· ?cat=ACK

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

Most likely because someone with the IQ of a goat climbed up a pole to connect "free" cable TV

Your defaming the intelligence of goats ... Its just natural selection at work
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by guppy_fish:

Its just natural selection at work

Yes, and the gov't is determined to prevent natural selection, which is screwing things up even more.

beerbum
Premium Member
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

when did this ban on putting pole steps on new poles go into effect?

wondering because it seems my local power company didn't get the memo.. I've seen new poles go up, some had the steps and some didn't..

besides, if someone goes up to tamper with cable or phone and gets electrocuted, something else is going on since under normal conditions, the power lines are at the very top of the pole, with phone and cable at about the middle, and in my 12 or so years working on telco & catv I have never seen pole steps that go beyond the height that telco lines are hung.

*shrug*

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by beerbum:

when did this ban on putting pole steps on new poles go into effect?

wondering because it seems my local power company didn't get the memo.. I've seen new poles go up, some had the steps and some didn't..

besides, if someone goes up to tamper with cable or phone and gets electrocuted, something else is going on since under normal conditions, the power lines are at the very top of the pole, with phone and cable at about the middle, and in my 12 or so years working on telco & catv I have never seen pole steps that go beyond the height that telco lines are hung.

*shrug*

yeah people forget that the power line wires are at the very top, I've seen people go nuts when it's very obvious that it's the phone co's wire that's sagging or that fell from the pole.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to plk

Premium Member

to plk
They are called pole steps. When I worked for comcast ours were taken away along and we moved to ladder only. This was 3 years ago or so.

TheGeeze
Premium Member
united state

TheGeeze to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

said by TheGeeze:

Why is that? Explains why I don't see them anymore.

In the United States, such steps have been determined a public hazard and are no longer allowed on new poles.

beerbum
Premium Member
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

said by TheGeeze:

In the United States, such steps have been determined a public hazard and are no longer allowed on new poles.

Might I suggest if you are going to quote Wikipedia verbatim, that you also include the [citation needed] reference.

Please, while I no longer have a dog in this hunt, I am curious and would like to know more about this. Do you have insight into this being the case..information that for whatever reason, other than a one line blurb on a Wikipedia page, cannot be found on the Internet..?

TheGeeze
Premium Member
united state

TheGeeze

Premium Member

said by beerbum:

said by TheGeeze:

Might I suggest if you are going to quote Wikipedia verbatim, that you also include the [citation needed] reference.

Please, while I no longer have a dog in this hunt, I am curious and would like to know more about this. Do you have insight into this being the case..information that for whatever reason, other than a one line blurb on a Wikipedia page, cannot be found on the Internet..?

Well, I never did have a dog in this hunt. I was just doing what the OP could have done himself, but didn't. Since this is not a dissertation, I didn't think citations were required.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to TheGeeze

to TheGeeze
Not so. OSHA specifies the diameter and width, but does not ban. 1910.268(h)(2)

TheGeeze
Premium Member
united state

TheGeeze

Premium Member

Ok. Google stands corrected.
Expand your moderator at work