how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dew456

join:2003-08-13
Dallas, TX

How to move all data from Iphone 4s to new 5s

Picked up a new 5s today. I had reinstalled windows 7 a few months ago because I upgraded my harddrives to a ssd raid setup so I had to download the current itunes and install it. After I installed it I plugged in my 4s and it was recognized. On the main page I clicked the backup button and it started doing a backup. It finished in a couple of minutes which I found odd since I have around 10gigs on the phone. I then plugged in my 5s and told it to do a restore. Apparently the backup is only doing a backup of the main settings because the 5s has my settings but nothing like my music, photos or apps. When I went from a 3 to the 4s this is how I did it and it worked fine. Is there a different way to do it now. I searched on the net and everything I found says to do it the way I've done it.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
iCloud backup.

dew456

Dallas, TX
Icloud is not an option.

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
In ITunes don't you have the option to do a full manual backup to the computer? Check that and also use encryption which backs up the user id's and passwords for all your apps.

I have a Mac Book so I am not sure how ITunes is configured in Windows

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to dew456
Restoring from Backup is the only option -- do that however you like, via iCloud or via iTunes.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

dew456

Dallas, TX
Put how do I get a full backup? I used the manual backup but like I said, it finishes in 3 minutes which there is no way it backed up over 10gigs in 3 minutes.

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH
It's not going to backup Music/Apps that are all ready in iTunes. The backup will consist of things/settings that are not in iTunes. It probably includes a list of songs/apps that way when you restore those same songs/apps get transferred back to the iPhone.
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to dew456
If I remember right you need to sync the new phone with iTunes after the restoring the backup data.

dew456

Dallas, TX
reply to dew456
I just tried syncing the new phone and nothing happened.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
said by dew456:

I just tried syncing the new phone and nothing happened.

iTunes should be set to indicate what to sync to the iPhone. If you recently reinstalled iTunes on a new machine then my guess is you having nothing set. With the phone connected (if your device is not already listed in iTunes), navigate to the music and movies tabs in iTunes for the phone and check what you want synced. Then sync again.

I could be wrong as I would have thought the backup you did would have put these settings in the new install of iTunes - I can't remember how that works.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to dew456