spc
Search similar:

uniqs
HKPolice
join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

HKPolice

[rCable] Youtube starting to slow down during peak hours

I've experienced this on Teksavvy and it was the reason why I switched to start.ca.

A month or 2 ago, youtube 720p/1080p clips would always load as fast as my 45/4 cable would go, even during peak hours: full constant 45Mbit (speedboost got disabled). It's starting to bog down now to an average of about 24Mbit/s during peak. Off peak speeds are still full 45Mbit.

It's still more than fast enough to stream 1080p clips so I can't complain much, but this was exactly what happened with Teksavvy. Eventually it got so slow that any HD clip would buffer constantly during peak hours.

Has start implemented any google/youtube caching servers? Those servers seem to be the culprits. Anyone else notice a slowdown of youtube streaming speeds?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

No, we have a direct 10G link to Google at Toronto and aren't doing any caching servers in-house. (nor is our 10G link any where near at capacity).
mickw99
join:2003-04-09
Kitchener, ON

mickw99 to HKPolice

to HKPolice
youtube is streaming rock in rio live tonight and tomorrow night not sure how long it last. that might be the cause
jonbon
join:2012-08-18

jonbon to HKPolice

to HKPolice
It could be the dash playback, that youtube has set up, where it only loads a few seconds or so, at a time. if you download youtube center, it'll have an option to disable dash playback, where it will load the whole video, even when you pause
HKPolice
join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

HKPolice

said by jonbon:

It could be the dash playback, that youtube has set up, where it only loads a few seconds or so, at a time. if you download youtube center, it'll have an option to disable dash playback, where it will load the whole video, even when you pause

Yep I've been using YT center for years, disabled DASH as soon as it came out.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

haven't noticed any slowdowns myself except 2 days ago YT seemed to have some issue for 2 hours where videos wouldn't load at all and it seemed to affect ISPs that peered with YT in Toronto. it got fixed shortly after.

make sure you're using Start DNS instead of OpenDNS or Google DNS and then reboot and see if it's any better. you might get served from another location unless you're using Start's DNS.

hagbard72
join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

hagbard72 to jonbon

to jonbon
Dash? Dashboard? I never signed up for that so I assume it should effect me right?