[X1-X2] X2 Really is Live

Click for full size
Guide
Click for full size
OnDemand
Click for full size
Anyroom DVR
Click for full size
In another thread an anon poster mentioned you could hit Exit, Exit, 9,2,9,2 to change the X1 current guide version to what is being dubbed as "X2". I, as others - figured this was BS.

So, since it's Saturday morning - tried this for the heck of it on 1 of the satellite HD boxes that we never watch. It really works. It forced the box to call out and connect (the whole - Step 1 through 8 message) and when it was done - the guide is now changed.

Frankly, I can't believe it worked - but I'm assuming it's pulling the graphics down from a different cloud server. I'm not changing it on the DVR or other HD box just yet.

Here's some pics. I like the DVR "recent recordings" - it now shows you poster art for the most recent programs you did.

In regards to Pic #1 w/ the guide - I've since found there's a setting for "Background Transparency" in the Preferences menu where you can make the picture in the back much darker for better reading, or completely black if you want it. Obviously in the picture it's far too transparent.

Also - it has made the HD box much snappier than before.

**Edit - already hit a bug - when popping into the Weather app - upon trying to get back out, the live TV picture was frozen in the upper right of the screen. Rebooting now to see if it fixes it. I do not suggest attempting any of this on your main TV.

**Edit-2 - reboot fixed it.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

2 edits

Re: [X1] X2 Really is Live

WoW that is really cool!

Comcast must be getting pretty close to releasing this for some areas.

Can you go back to X1 if you want to?

S10driver35

join:2009-09-29
New Castle, DE
reply to JeepMatt
Click for full size
Went ahead and updated the DVR and one of my 2 HD boxes. Love the larger print in the guide. Took a snapshot of the about Xfinity TV screen and looks like the same version that was downloaded in the last 24 hours.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to JeepMatt
Does the overall feel of the interface feel more smoother and less sluggish then X1?

S10driver35

New Castle, DE
said by gate1975mlm:

Does the overall feel of the interface feel more smoother and less sluggish then X1?

Before I updated to X2, I noticed a considerable improvement with the speed of the guide this morning.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
Cool

So I assume when comcast officially launches X2 your box will be able to update to the latest build of X2. It would suck if your box was stuck on this what I assume is a very early build of X2.

I am always trying beta software on my computer so this is making me really temped.

S10driver35

New Castle, DE

1 recommendation

And was able to duplicate the issue Jeep experienced with the apps. When exiting out of the sports app the live picture stays small on the left side of the screen and the grey framing around the live picture remains frozen. Reboot does fix the issue.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
S10-
And you can keep reproducing the Apps bug. After playing around some more - I really like the look and feel - but don't use the apps. You'll have to reboot your box afterwards to get the picture back. It continuously freezes in the corner when using them.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
I am sure the app bug will be fixed soon enough.

I ended up putting the X2 on all 3 of my DVR boxes and so far I love the updated look and feel and luckily so does the whole family And you are correct just put the same code in again to go back to X1. It happens almost instantly too.

I think I may use the X2 from here on out as long as comcast allows us to of course.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to JeepMatt
While it looks like that "92 92" code (which is "X2 X2" on a telephone keypad) places the UI into an X2-style mode, other X2 enhancements/features, like the recommendation engine and cloud DVR capability, are most likely not available yet using this trick.

I wonder if the users who are supposed to be trialing the X2 soon (now?) »Re: [X1] The New X2 - The "Evolution" of the X1 are testing it this same way, or are specifically set up to have access to the new X2 features.

In any case, thanks for trying this out and showing it off to us!

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to JeepMatt
Also they improved the guide in X2 so you can now go a few days into the future and then if you change the channel in the guide it remains on that date and time instead of always going back to the current day and time

And it also feels much more smoother the X1 when moving around the interface

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Some other finds:

-Full guide view now only shows 5 channels at a time w/ info at the bottom instead of a full screen with pop up bubbles (which I know some people hated)
-Updated the DVR - the guide simply FLIES when changing tabs, etc.
-Gate - you are right - simply do the code again and it immediately goes back to the current X1 style (glad the family approves!!)
-Tried to use Pandora app on DVR - worked fine, but again froze up when trying to go back to Live TV

It's refreshing to see that App integration is really the only thing I'm finding wrong so far. The dark colors of the guide are really slick.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

wolf

@comcast.net
reply to gate1975mlm
I also tried this, first on my satellite box - no issues. Then on my main DVR box. Also no issues at first, then suddenly the picture changed to just a window-boxed display where the main program only takes up about 1/2 of the screen. I wasn't able to get rid of it & expand the picture back to full size no matter what I did. So reverted back to the X1 for now on that box. Just checked the satellite box again & that's still running OK with the X2 version. I guess I'll play with the DVR settings again later.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to JeepMatt
Wow that's pretty cool. It reminds me of Windows 8 in some sort of way. Like if Microsoft continued to evolve Media Center instead of shove it in the back burner... I would imagine it would look something similar to this.

DirecTV has a "Cutting Edge" program where you can download new firmware at specific times. It's nice to see Comcast now have sort of the same thing with this code.

person

@comcast.net
There was a way to update on x1 GUI under about. Have fun jeep who knows when it'll disappear.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to JeepMatt
This update was pretty cool. I like it a lot. I updated all my boxes.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to JeepMatt
Wow who'd a thunk it!

We keep hearing more and more about how X2 is getting closer to release, so it must be a hidden developer mode.

It's encouraging to hear that the X2 guide feels faster.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to JeepMatt
One thing you still can not do is put your favorite shows in alphabetical order.

I really hope comcast adds that feature in the near future.

person

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

If stuck with no picture after exiting apps just do exit 9 2 9 2 again no need for reboot.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
Cool thanks

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
reply to JeepMatt
I wonder what X3 will be like LOL

Just kidding way to soon to talk about that.

ShawnD

@comcast.net
For some reason, I can not get it to work on my X1 box using Exit Exit 9 2 9 2.. Do you need to use it during boot?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
No, you do not.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 recommendation

reply to ShawnD
said by Anon80:

For some reason, I can not get it to work on my X1 box using Exit Exit 9 2 9 2.. Do you need to use it during boot?

said by JeepMatt:

No, you do not.

What version software is on your X1 box? Maybe it requires at least Build 4816 to work?

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
Reviews:
·Comcast
·WOW Internet and..
reply to JeepMatt
I had the same problem with the app not going back to full screen picture but now everything works apps go back to the full screen picture. I am still trying to figure out what I did but now it does not act up at all. So far can not get the apps to work on the other boxes.

Gerard1234

Now all the boxes the apps work fine on the x2. Just went back to them after doing nothing and they all work. Now can not go back to the old x1 even after rebooting.

Gerard1234

reply to Gerard1234
Just rebooted again and still remains on x2 and boots much faster now too.

Gerard1234

Reviews:
·Comcast
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Gerard1234
Ok after looking at the code. To get the apps to work go to the main guide and press the blue button on the remote and when you see a small picture at the bottom of the screen the screen size will automatically change when using the apps and the guides this does not seem to be an error but an there is no indication on the screen for what the blue button is assigned. But I know for sure it allows the screen size to automatically change when using guide or apps.

Gerard1234

Blue button is marked as letter B

Gerard1234

Also if you are in the apps page pressing the blue button when you see the small screen it is also in auto screen size.