how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dfc888
Premium
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

T-Mobile Coverage & Reviews in Bay Area?

Hi everyone. Thinking about switching to T-Mobile's prepaid $30 100 minute, unlimited text and web plan. Anyone currently using T-Mobile service? If so, how do you like the service in the Bay Area? Spotty cell signal, or slow data speeds anywhere?

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dfc888:

Hi everyone. Thinking about switching to T-Mobile's prepaid $30 100 minute, unlimited text and web plan. Anyone currently using T-Mobile service? If so, how do you like the service in the Bay Area? Spotty cell signal, or slow data speeds anywhere?

T-Mobile has used ATT mobile sites so the coverage is the same as ATT service.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to dfc888

I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile primarily because the service from AT&T had degraded to such a low level that it was almost unusable.

While T-Mobile service isn't perfect, it is far better. Outdoors I get a signal anywhere from San Francisco to the South Bay (since you have a San Bruno location tag). There are places where indoor coverage is weak.

I don't use much data and my phone is too old to get high speed data (no hspa+ or lte).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to dfc888

Here is a third party review of T-Mobile in SF:
»www.cellreception.com/coverage/c···ge1.html

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to dfc888

Look up actual usage as reported by customer's phones: »www.sensorly.com/map

If you find the service useful, consider contributing to the maps by downloading and installing it on your phone.

macmouse
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Saratoga, CA
reply to dfc888

At the moment, they have the most capacity in the bay area. They have more spectrum than at&t (thanks to the breakup) while also having a 5th of the userbase.

I pretty regularly get 10-15megabits/sec with DC-HSDPA+ (or "3.5G").

There is some spots where the coverage can be spotty, but overall they are very similar to AT&T (in large part because of their history with cingular) and in some cases have better coverage (especially near businesses and shopping malls).

Still, AT&T does have the edge in rural areas (although IMHO Sprint and then Verizon are significantly better than AT&T in that regard in California).

If you are in downtown SF, they are you best bet right now because all of the other networks are congested all the time.