Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[Seamonkey] SeaMonkey 2.21 is Unusable on Windows 8 Pro

Click for full size
Click for full size

I just upgraded to SeaMonkey 2.21. It was fine until I opened the Mail window and saw that MOST mail was missing. SeaMonkey, upon opening the mail window, downloaded what it said was "NEW" mail beginning Sept 18 but that mail had already been downloaded and was present in SeaMonkey 2.20. ALL mail before Sept 18 is GONE.

I tried to go back to SeaMonkey main window and something is horribly wrong with SeaMonkey when minimized to the taskbar. Instead of getting the main window, when I clicked on it in the taskbar, I got a vertical transparent list of the tabs. I cannot maximize SeaMonkey from the taskbar or switch from Mail to the main window. If I don't use Sea Monkey mail at all and do not minimize SeaMonkey to the task bar, it appears to work normally.

If I click on one of the tabs that is shown vertically, I get an even bigger mess as you can see from the screenshot. Right clicking on SeaMonkey icon in the task bar produces a menu where I can close SeaMonkey. It is the only way I can close it.

It looks like I minimized three SeaMonkey windows to the task bar. Not true. I only minimized one and I can't access the ones that seem to be behind the top one.

Is it possible to revert to 2.20? I have a Restore Point from 9/20 so I guess I could use that.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

I suppose you could back up your profile and uninstall it then reinstall 2.20?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20

I have:

1. Rebooted Windows
2. Made sure extensions and plugins were up to date and deleted those I don't use
3. Started a new session with only my home tab open
4. Created a NEW profile and started SeaMonkey with it
5. Messed with Start8 menu and with the taskbar
6. Started SeaMonkey in SafeMode

Nothing above helps. Even with a new profile and only my home tab, and the default ones that apparently SeaMonkey now opens on a new profile, I still get vertical transparent tabs from the SeaMonkey icon on the taskbar. It makes no difference if I have SM pinned or unpinned (it's always been UNpinned but I pinned it to see if that would help).

Once I have minimized SeaMonkey to the taskbar when I mouse hover over the SeaMonkey icon on the taskbar, I do NOT see a thumbnail of the SeaMonkey window. Instead, I see the tabs listed vertically and transparently. If I click on the first listed tab then I get a double window with SeaMonkey displayed full screen in the background window and slightly off center on the top window. If I click just so (it's tricky to do) at the bottom of the top window it will disappear and the background window remains and it is the normal SeaMonkey window and SeaMonkey works normally until the next time I minimize it.

So, the title of my thread is not really accurate. I can use SeaMonkey 2.21 but only with difficulty because it does not minimize correctly to the Windows 8 Pro taskbar. All previous versions since I got this computer last November have minimized correctly. I use Windows Blinds but have been doing so for many months and SeaMonkey has not had a single problem with it but I am now wondering if SeaMonkey 2.21 is incompatible with Windows Blinds?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Mele20

This, icon context menu for separate websites instead of windows ?

> Is it possible to revert to 2.20?

Of course, SeaMonkey 2.20.

> I have a Restore Point

Don't do that.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Mele20

That third screenshot looks like what you get when you right-click.

Perhaps try disabling Window Blinds and/or Start8.

No problems here, running Classic Shell.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

poppy10

join:2013-09-28
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

It looks like I minimized three SeaMonkey windows to the task bar. Not true. I only minimized one

Go to about:config
Toggle browser.taskbar.previews.enable from true to false

You will then be back to the previous tab behaviour

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Thank you!

That fixed it. I had asked about this in Sea Monkey newsgroup as well as several other forums. I wonder why no one else had the vaguest idea what the problem could be. Mybe I just didn't describe the problem very well but who would want such a mess anyway? It is an awful option!

I don't recall reading anything about such a SIGNIFICANT change in 2.21. Looking at Fx 17.0.9 ESR that is my default browser, I see that "browser.taskbar.previews.enable" is set to "False" and that on Fx "FALSE" is DEFAULT. So, I assume this changed to "True" on Fx sometime after ver 17? So, when I get the forced internal upgrade to Fx 24 ESR in January 2014, I'll have to set this preference to "false"?

Welcome to dslreports!
--

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

What's New in SeaMonkey 2.21, Accessibility related improvements on using pinned tabs (bug 577727).

Now that in & of itself may be meaningless to most, but it is documented.
And it also appears that many do not like the change. It's been brought up many times at mozillazine & cZ.

As I noted in my above post, I never see any of that anyway. I consider all that nonsense to be much like a "virus".

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I read that page some time ago. It says 'PINNED" TABS. SeaMonkey is NOT pinned to the taskbar so I passed over reading the bug report. Besides what does accessibility on a keyboard have to do with the problem I had? I don't pin anything to the taskbar. I use the taskbar like I would in XP. I had no idea there was all that stuff on right click on something on the taskbar until I stumbled on it when trying to figure out this problem. I got rid of as much of that as I could after being made aware of it.

I don't know why I didn't click on your link earlier as I generally click on links offered in a thread. At any rate, I clicked on it now and read the thread. Mine looked like the OP's FIRST screen shot. I never saw any thumbnails like in his second screenshot. Philip Chee (Moz dev) said in my SeaMonkey newsgroup thread that SeaMonkey will never show more than 7 thumbnails in the taskbar. I thought he meant the vertical list that shows ALL tabs as I have never seen a thumbnail from SeaMonkey in the taskbar except for the one that shows the tab I was on when I minimized SeaMonkey. I've never seen others much less seven of them.

At any rate, the setting that poppy10 See Profile mentioned fixes it. Why would I want a list of tabs that I can't read (except with difficulty)with full transparency in effect? Those would need to show with an opaque background to be useful. Plus, they would need to NOT show when the mouse gets anywhere near the taskbar in Windows 8 but show only if you, say, right clicked on the SeaMonkey icon in the taskbar. Instead, they would show on top of Fx when I was using it and I had the mouse on the Fx status bar or even above it. It's a poorly implemented "improvement" at least on Windows 8 with transparent windows. Then there was the problem of not being able to easily maximize SeaMonkey because of this new setting. Someone in the SeaMonkey newsgroup said the problem is Windows 8 which I don't doubt.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20

All those "browser.taskbar" settings have no effect on XP Pro. It doesn't matter what the defaults are. I just see a title of the thread on mouse hover over the SeaMonkey icon in the taskbar. That's what Windows 8 should do instead of trying to do thumbnails. I can't read a thumbnail anyway so just the title of the tab I was focused on is all I need.

Thumbnails used to be readable from the SeaMonkey tab bar but with 2.21 on XP they are blurry and unreadable now.
--