BC KS

3 edits

sawman

Premium Member

[F@H] optimizing config

sysinfo
Click for full size
slot config
Discovered V7 client when I set another pc to folding. I built my desktop a couple years ago intending to use the gpus but only had four pc cores running till now . Had pulled one of the video cards to sell but it's back in and folding. Both the cards seem to run at 30%+ load most of the time even while running media center and surfing on pc. Folding core % is at 100, priority low.
I am curious about optimum setup. This is what I ended up with and it looks to me, now that I've read a little, that one slot is using seven cpu cores and the other two cpu cores? I had let a couple of V6 clients finish on their cores while all this was running too.
I have set to pause on boot but haven't changed any other parameters.
I have the second cpu slot finishing as I wonder if I should delete it and let the one cpu client run the show?

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

I keep watching for someone with GPU folding experience to help you, since I have no GPUs.

In fairness to the project, I think I would let 03 finish and delete it. It looks like you have 8 cores. You probably need to use one of those for the GPUs, but you may even need one core for each GPU.

I would first try putting in two gpu slots and one cpu slot, see what it does if you let it configure itself.
Sunny

Sunny to sawman

to sawman
Anyone who actually has a clue what to do, please jump in. Obviously, I am guessing, but I just didn't want sawman to think we're ignoring him.

sawman
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
BC KS

sawman

Premium Member

Thanks, I removed the second cpu slot when it finished. I'm just tickled to have the graphic cards folding.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

I'm sure you are. Those puppies do a LOT of work.
Sunny

Sunny to sawman

to sawman
I suspect the reason you haven't heard from people here is that they don't have experience with your particular hardware config.

I suggest, if you want more help, that you sign up for an account on the main folding@home site, foldingforum.org, describe what you have available as hardware in the box. Tell them your OS, and the client you are using. Ask for help optimizing. There will be several with the experience to help.

Oh, because I am an admin over there, I can tell you a few ISPs, such as att.net, bellsouth, etc. are currently rejecting our reply emails for authentication to people trying to sign up for an account. They think we are spammers because there are many emails coming back from us to give their customers an authentication link. If you do try to sign up and don't get the return email from admin@foldingforum.org, let me know here. I can give you suggestions for alternate email addresses to try. Right now, we're not having that problem with gmail and hotmail, to name a couple.