Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to chigowolfs

to chigowolfs

Re: 91 GrandAm 2.5l Stalling

said by chigowolfs:

said by Tig:

Describe the stall please. Die, stumble, fade? Can you coax along for a bit? Any dash codes at all?

It just dies like you turned off the key. When watching the TBI, seems like nothing is coming out once it dies.... This is become more and more a mystery. No codes are being thrown at all.

Just realized it was my 90 Corsica (not the Cavalier) that did exactly that. I went through a detailed process to come to the crank sensor. Schematics, data sheets, oscilloscopes as well as knowledge of inductive sensors. Bottom line for the Corsica was the raw signal level would start around 1.5 Vpp and I could watch it fade as the engine warmed up. I stuck a pin through the sensor wire to creat a test point. The engine would die when the raw signal reach about 1Vpp. After a 10 or 20 minute rest it would start and the singal would be stronger, but again would fade. A bit of research revealed that there was no code on that vehicle for crank sensor faults. Service guide flow chart for "engine dies" was a very expensive list of parts that included Ign pack, ECM, etc, etc... Inspection of the crank sensor revealed a suspicious crack. I replaced it.
I hope this is somewhat helpful. If you're going for a DIY repair, find a U pull it, wrecking yard. Sensor should be less than $5.

Edit; the Corsica also had the 2.5l engine. My arm was just long enough to reach the sensor from the top drivers side by the firewall. I still have the factory service manual if you think of anything you'd like me to look up.
chigowolfs
Wolfie Is Here
join:2003-04-18
Chicago, IL

chigowolfs

This is what I am starting to lean towards as well. My neighbor has the car right now (since yesterday) checking it out. A new sensor is only $16 at the part store. less aggravation then having to pull it of a junker and replace it.... I dont know, we will see what he says, maybe I will be luck and he will swap it out already.
All I know, after replacing the parts I have already mentioned it runs like a champ when it does run... Car only has 83k miles on it, its my fathers... The things I do for them HA!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to Tig

Premium Member

to Tig
I had an old Pontiac that did that years ago. The last time I had it in the shop it died two miles after I picked it up and was on my way home. They towed it back and about a week later I learned the "sock" in the gas tank was filled with sand. They said it came from dirty gasoline. The "sock" was changed, the tank was removed, washed, and reinstalled. I never had any other problems, and I sold it four years later.
chigowolfs
Wolfie Is Here
join:2003-04-18
Chicago, IL

chigowolfs

said by linicx:

I had an old Pontiac that did that years ago. The last time I had it in the shop it died two miles after I picked it up and was on my way home. They towed it back and about a week later I learned the "sock" in the gas tank was filled with sand. They said it came from dirty gasoline. The "sock" was changed, the tank was removed, washed, and reinstalled. I never had any other problems, and I sold it four years later.

I just replaced the fuel pump, the sleeve was clean so was the inside of the gas tank. I am really leaving to electrical/ sensor issue.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Whatever the problem with your car ultimately is, I hope it is easy on your wallet. The mechanic who worked on my Pontiac said the sock problem wasn't very common, but it did happen from time to time. I did a lot of interstate travel then due to family. I was lucky it didn't die in the middle of St. Louis during rush hour.