spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BIsley

@windstream.net

[General] Do you sleep with your windows open?

How many us sleep with the windows open in Spring/Fall, anything I need to be worried about regarding moisture after the dew sets? Should I put a box fan blowing out or in at the window? I live in the South East in a single level ranch-style home. Windows are vinyl double-pane with screens. Only been here a few seasons and never tried it.

Bamafan2277
Premium
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

[General] Re: Do you sleep with your windows open?

During the day I have a fan in one window blowing out and all the other windows open to help promote air circulation. In the evenings I usually close the one in the bedroom but leave the others open so any cool damp air does not get me sick.

BIsley

@windstream.net
Just noticed the nickname -- Roll Tide! You think running the furnace fan would help moisture and circulation too? Thanks for the reply

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
·ooma
reply to BIsley
I moved to FL last year. In the fall and "winter" we would open the window in our master bedroom and bathrooms. With the ceiling fans, we had some great circulation and it was great for sleeping. We had no problems that I am aware of, so I expect to do the same again starting in a few weeks or so.

My house has two whole-house fans that are ceiling mounted and blow into the attic. We use those on occasion as well to pull air in through the windows.

--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to BIsley
Nope - allergies. We try and air out the house but we usually pay for it at night. Humidity is a problem for us in Ohio for a lot of the year - even spring/fall.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to BIsley
Closed. Always closed.
The main reason is that I am a very light sleeper, and the outside sounds of the night keep me awake.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy listening to crickets and frogs and and other natural nighttime sounds - just not when I'm trying to sleep.
--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to BIsley
I live in the SE (NC). Normally, I keep things sealed up, but during the fall months, I occasionally do put a fan in the window on transitional temp days, but I close things up before I go to bed. Tonight is one of those nights-I chill things down inside without the AC. I close things before hitting the hay, though.

Tonight, I lit the pilot on my furnace and let it run for a few minutes to burn the dust off. The fan in the window carried out the burnt dust smell.

Having the fan blow in/out depends on your situation. See what works best for you.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to BIsley
I do not know how safe it is where your are. I live in town and leaving windows or doors open we make sure they are secure against someone just entering.
Sure I could have a weapon but we just like to keep them out in the first place.
Open unsecured windows are invitations to crime in some areas. A box fan will just be moved out of the way for entry. So at least here we take some thought of security.

reply to BIsley
I've slept with the window open at night my entire life. Yes, my mother started it. Lived at sea level and as high as 7500'. Forest and desert. When I was a kid, no one entered my room in the winter. Most of my adult life I've used a fan of some kind blowing in on me. I never really thought about the foggy, foggy dew. Or snow. Or rain. Or intruders. Only vampires!

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
·ooma
reply to nonymous
said by nonymous:

I do not know how safe it is where your are. I live in town and leaving windows or doors open we make sure they are secure against someone just entering.
Sure I could have a weapon but we just like to keep them out in the first place.
Open unsecured windows are invitations to crime in some areas. A box fan will just be moved out of the way for entry. So at least here we take some thought of security.

This is a very good point. My windows have security latches that allow the window to be opened approximately 4" for ventillation. The latches prevent the window from being opened any further without disengaging the latches. This cannot be done from outside.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to BIsley
I used to keep the windows open a lot but I've been getting bats coming in during the fall (yes I need a bat house) so they stay closed now.

aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium
join:2000-12-21
Norwalk, CT
How in the world does a bat make it in through the screen? Or is that not the right question...

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to BIsley
Closed.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to BIsley
I leave them open whenever possible. I like the fresh air. If it get too humid, I have to close up and turn on the A/C. I can't stand the sticky feeling of humidity indoors.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to BIsley
When I was younger and lived in a quieter place, I used to sleep with a window opened 8 - 9 months a year. Coastal Pacific Northwest has a pretty mild climate.

Currently, mostly due to noise, I sleep with all windows closed.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to BIsley
As temperatures near freezing at night during the spring and fall, windows are generally closed at night.

join:2013-07-08
MA
reply to BIsley
Closed almost always. Humidity is a silent killer. Sure you say some money opening the windows but in the long run you pay for it. Also no other way to keep the temp in a range everyone in the house likes without climate controls.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to BIsley
Closed. It's usually too humid for my liking and the A/C costs too little at night not to have the comfort (less than 90min of run on worst days, so about $0.25).

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to BK3
said by BK3:

Closed. Always closed.
The main reason is that I am a very light sleeper, and the outside sounds of the night keep me awake.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy listening to crickets and frogs and and other natural nighttime sounds - just not when I'm trying to sleep.

That's like my 5-year-old. He always asks for his window to be shut at night. He doesn't like hearing the crickets. He says they keep him awake.

Of course, I know he does have sensitive hearing. Then our youngest is deaf. Go figure.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to BIsley
Where I am in Southern Ontario, near Buffalo NY, sleeping with all the windows open in my home rarely raises the humidity past 55% rh so it's not really a problem unless it's raining outside. Of course now the temperature in my home is around 21 C / 68 F during the day without cooling / heating so opening windows while sleeping is out of the question.

The time of year has less of an effect than the likelihood of a coming rain storm. Typically the humidity spikes to 60% with the windows closed about 8 hours before a rain storm and stays there until it's long gone.

A fan could have a detrimental effect on pulling humidity through your house so using one isn't recommended unless you have the ability to gauge the humidity levels to see for yourself what the levels are.

My advice is to purchase a few hygrometers to see what your levels are at and learn for yourself.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to BIsley
Never here in north Texas (DFW).

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
I have for the last 2 nights for the 1st time since May.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to BIsley
We leave our windows open almost all summer with no issues, but we live in California where humidity is banned.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to BIsley
My bedroom window has been opened since May. It has been getting pretty chilly overnight lately (down to around 30 some nights) but I press onwards. The cool air feels good to sleep in.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to BIsley
closed all the time but i have an ERV (Kubix) which works extremely well in either winter or summer.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to BIsley
We don't but would if we could. The problem is that we have a cat that's an avid hunter that doesn't understand why it's not ok to make the final kill in the house.

We can't use screens because the other one will climb them like a jungle gym set.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to BIsley
I have had to clean two inches of snow off the window-sill iin my bedroom more than once. I love cold, fresh air while I sleep. My wife, on the other hand, hates it cold in the room,
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

BIsley

@windstream.net
reply to BIsley
So without going in to too much detail I think we're going to leave them closed. We had a stray cat somehow hop up on a table we had outside the window an actually spray into our home while we slept. It is quite nauseous and we knew something was up when our house cat was in "terror alert red" mode.

So now begs the question, what is the best way to get rid of the spraying I am afraid we're fixing to have a pissing war

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to BIsley
Yes and I pay for it in terms of allergies. But if I close the windows all the electronics in my bedroom will heat it up to 90 degrees. And if I turn the A/C on with cool ambient temps it will frequently cycle where the compressor will cycle on for a minute and off for a few and then on again.

The exterior of our house is a dark stained brown wood siding and my bedroom is on the east side of the building so it heats up pretty early.

Another advantage is the bedrooms are second story so we can sleep with the burglar alarm on.

Humidity is an issue in this house. I think another strategy I'm going to undertake in my allergy war besides the Pergo in the bedroom is purchasing a dehumidifier in the spring.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
quote:
I think another strategy I'm going to undertake in my allergy war besides the Pergo in the bedroom is purchasing a dehumidifier in the spring.
A good thing to do ESPECIALLY for dust allergies - dust mites do not live below 50% humidity.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain