Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to BIsley

Premium Member

to BIsley

Re: [General] Do you sleep with your windows open?

When it's 70 at night and no humidity, windows wide open all night. Any humidity, windows closed, AC on if needed, even, in October or April. Crime is not an issue here.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to BIsley

to BIsley
Southern coast of Wisconsin checking in.

I keep em open all over the house from spring till fall, I only close some or all of them if it's going to be foggy, storming or if the temperature is going to drop into the 70's or is going to jump into the 90's during the day. Usually have 1-3 box fans going in the windows in a push/pull configuration depending on the wind and if the sun is baking up the concrete in the alley to 100+ degrees in the afternoon.

I've never had moisture problems, only ever seeing a thin layer of dew on the blinds if the dew point is high and it's in the low 60's or lower.

Never gotten sick from it either, fresh air in the house is always going to be better then stale air.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by intok:

I keep em open all over the house from spring till fall,

Never gotten sick from it either, fresh air in the house is always going to be better then stale air.

Being able to do that depends entirely on the outside air quality. In many areas the air quality would be a health hazard. I live in a rural area but those in cities or near some factories might be impacted.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to BIsley

Premium Member

to BIsley
Only if the a/c is broken (like it just did yesterday) and its getting hot/stuffy in the house.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to intok

MVM

to intok
quote:
Oh - to have no allergies again...

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to intok

to intok
said by intok:

I keep em open all over the house from spring till fall, I only close some or all of them if it's going to be foggy, storming or if the temperature is going to drop into the 70's or is going to jump into the 90's during the day. Usually have 1-3 box fans going in the windows in a push/pull configuration depending on the wind and if the sun is baking up the concrete in the alley to 100+ degrees in the afternoon.

I've never had moisture problems, only ever seeing a thin layer of dew on the blinds if the dew point is high and it's in the low 60's or lower.

Here in suburban Florida, I've always found outdoor air to be very dirty. I can run an air filter in my bedroom with the windows shut for 6 months and get less dirt in it than it'll get in a week or two with the window open. I even had a filter in the window itself (behind a pair of fans), which got unbelievably dirty, and surfaces inside the room would be covered with a green film of pollen. And that's in "winter". Needless to say, I've given up on using "fresh" air for cooling, besides being so dirty, the nighttime lows, even in winter, usually aren't as cool as I like for sleeping.
intok (banned)

intok (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Being able to do that depends entirely on the outside air quality. In many areas the air quality would be a health hazard. I live in a rural area but those in cities or near some factories might be impacted.

So you live down wind of a factory farm or an unregulated chemical plant that dumps "safe" amounts of toxic stuff on a regular basis?

If so, that kind of defeats the propose of living out in the open country...
intok

intok (banned) to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Oh - to have no allergies again...

Eh? I've had pollen allergies my entire life. Hiding in the house from it only makes the reactions worse when you have to go outside.

It helps when your grandparents made you do all of the gardening growing up no matter how red your eyes where or nose ran.
intok

intok (banned) to Raphion

to Raphion
Isn't pollen usually yellow? You sure thats not mold spores?

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

Definitely pollen, it gets all over things outdoors too, especially noticeable on cars.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to intok

MVM

to intok
I have several allergies that shots have made better but I would rather sleep and breathe than keep the windows open no matter what...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to intok

Premium Member

to intok
said by intok:

said by Jack_in_VA:

So you live down wind of a factory farm or an unregulated chemical plant that dumps "safe" amounts of toxic stuff on a regular basis?

If so, that kind of defeats the propose of living out in the open country...

Why do you think they issue air quality warnings advising to stay indoors with the "WINDOWS CLOSED"?
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

Around here those are almost always only on the hottest days of the year, at which point the AC is on.

Even still, those are only because theres a smog advisory because it's so hot the smog isn't rising and dissipating.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Why do you think they issue air quality warnings advising to stay indoors with the "WINDOWS CLOSED"?

Because those who issue such warnings are government bureaucrats following an issued script and who lack the common sense to understand not everyone can follow such recommendations safely.

This is how news stories such as "city on ozone alert, elderly lady found dead in sweltering apartment" develop.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by 54067323:

This is how news stories such as "city on ozone alert, elderly lady found dead in sweltering apartment" develop.

I've also seen stories of "elderly lady found dead in cold apartment".

I really don't care what others do with their windows and others should not have any interest in what I do with mine.

This topic is really irrelevant to home improvement as every person is going to have a personal preference as to open or closed, in summer or winter, etc and for different reasons.

For my wife and I we're going to continue to keep ours closed keeping out the allergens, dust, noise, heat/cold etc. It's been incredibly dry here and the dust from the gravel roads is really excessive.

Keeping the pollen, dirt and dust out makes a happy wife and a happy wife means a happy life.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by Jack_in_VA:

Keeping the pollen, dirt and dust out makes a happy wife and a happy wife means a happy life.

You got that right and if not happy even for an instant, they never forget why...
intok (banned)

intok (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Isn't that pretty much exclusively from old people that can't afford to pay their bills and don't realize that they can deffer payments till spring with Energy Assistance programs that also prevent their heat from being cut off till it's warm enough out?
intok

intok (banned) to 54067323

to 54067323
said by 54067323:

Again, those are on the 95 degrees or hotter days where car and factory exhaust isn't rising from thermal convection, and it's not the ozone that's killing granny, it's her poorly insulated house that doesn't have AC that is pushing 120+ degrees inside when it's 100 outside.

Granny got slow roasted, not gassed.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I've also seen stories of "elderly lady found dead in cold apartment"

Far more people die from leaving the windows open though.
I travel to San Diego a few times a year. Everytime I;m out there in the Summer there are stories of elderly people dieing in the heat without A/C.

»www.latimes.com/local/la ··· 07.story

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to intok

Premium Member

to intok
said by intok:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Isn't that pretty much exclusively from old people that can't afford to pay their bills and don't realize that they can deffer payments till spring with Energy Assistance programs that also prevent their heat from being cut off till it's warm enough out?

Not all states have that option.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned)

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by intok:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Not all states have that option.

You are right there. It's mostly states that get snow and only during the Winter months. I can evict a tenant anytime I want in Florida for example but it's virtually impossible to evict a tenant in Connecticut, Maine, or Massachusetts in the Winter.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to intok

Premium Member

to intok
said by intok:

said by Jack_in_VA:

That is only regulated utilities like natural gas or electric. Unregulated utilities like fuel oil, cord wood, or propane can cut you off for non-payment. And most of those require cash on the barrel before they fill your tank or unload the wood.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Electricity can be turned off also. States differ in requirements.

Disconnection Policies by state

What happens if you can't pay a utility bill?

As you can see the ability to not pay is not open ended.