Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to Octavean

Mod

to Octavean

Re: Apple Touch ID Fingerprint Reader Circumvented?

"users may want to consider fingerprint access as a measure intended more for convenience than security."

Biometric technology is a farce for stuff that matters. That's known.

CCC stated they found a way around it by.. reproducing a fingerprint. Besides no such thing as security with physical access to a device, this is applied twice to biometric.

However for Joe Public, it's better and quicker than nothing. That's the entire point for a fingerprint reader. CCC is getting press because tech writers have no idea what they're talking about 99% of the time and just want site traffic.

You can unlock android phones with pictures of people if they are using photo-unlock. BM is a bad technology for stuff that matters. These things are for Joe Public who would rather use nothing or something as fast as nothing.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 recommendation

justin

Mod

It was meant to stop "apple picking", if circumventing the security means having to know the fingerprint of the user, or their iris, or their exact voice print, then the user concerned has some powerful enemies and they should also be using encryption.

Wake me up when someone works out how to make locked stolen 5S phones valuable by wiping them of whatever biometric protections have been set.

Losing ones phone is quite traumatic I'd be very happy to own a phone that locks itself when I lose it and is junk until I get it back, failing that is junk unless it can be wiped, failing that is junk until it is opened up and the flash chip and circuit board is extracted and then someone has to spend $2000 to get the flash read and put on a CDROM.

Won't all phones except the 5S spill their guts with the use of a free software tool, if found in the street?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

"users may want to consider fingerprint access as a measure intended more for convenience than security."

Biometric technology is a farce for stuff that matters. That's known.

CCC stated they found a way around it by.. reproducing a fingerprint. Besides no such thing as security with physical access to a device, this is applied twice to biometric.

However for Joe Public, it's better and quicker than nothing. That's the entire point for a fingerprint reader. CCC is getting press because tech writers have no idea what they're talking about 99% of the time and just want site traffic.

You can unlock android phones with pictures of people if they are using photo-unlock. BM is a bad technology for stuff that matters. These things are for Joe Public who would rather use nothing or something as fast as nothing.

Still impossible to fake retina scans.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

2 recommendations

justin

Mod

the only biometric scan that I'm impressed with this the one in the incredibles:

Hand Scanner.
Iris Scanner.
"Edna. Mode." (said in purposefully flat voice)
Then there is a camera (IR?) that identified an additional visitor - judging by the machine gun that springs from the ceiling.
".. and guest".

This is smart because if she is being forced at gunpoint to surrender all her biometrics, the bad guy then has to deal with the weapon pointing at his head as well.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by justin:

the only biometric scan that I'm impressed with this the one in the incredibles:

Hand Scanner.
Iris Scanner.
"Edna. Mode." (said in purposefully flat voice)
Then there is a camera (IR?) that identified an additional visitor - judging by the machine gun that springs from the ceiling.
".. and guest".

This is smart because if she is being forced at gunpoint to surrender all her biometrics, the bad guy then has to deal with the weapon pointing at his head as well.

There are some secure facilities that use a slightly different arrangement. It's a self contained plexiglass chamber, and you surrender your retina pattern, while the floor plate determines exact weight of things present on the floor. Combined you gain access. Yes, for those who eat lots or are on diets there are problems, and for equipment, I think there needs to be some kind of override, I"m not sure.