uniqs
Bigglesworth
join:2011-02-22
Santa Barbara, CA

Bigglesworth

New Plans?? Long Time Consumer Needs Help With Better Plans

So Im on the 20GB plan $60 a month.

Modem: USB760

When i go to look at service is avalible for their new Unlimited BYOD plan, after putting my modem info in, it says its avalible. Its 50GB~, but how can I be sure? has anyone else gotten this on this modem??

Thanks for any info and personal accounts. Im also looking into WnW as a possible alternative. 20GB just is unrealistically low. I wish they had a 30GB plan for $70.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

2 edits

criggs

said by Bigglesworth:

When i go to look at service is avalible for their new Unlimited BYOD plan, after putting my modem info in, it says its avalible. Its 50GB~, but how can I be sure? has anyone else gotten this on this modem??

Not completely sure what you mean, but if you're asking if Millenicom really lets you download/upload as much as 50 gigs in one month, absolutely they do, no questions asked. I know; I used to be on that plan. And keep in mind that that soft 50-gig cap is what you get on that plan because that 50-gig plan runs on the Sprint network, not the Verizon Wireless network. There is no deal for Verizon Wireless that's available that gets you more than 20 gigs a month, as far as I know.

On the other hand, if you're asking if the download speed on the plan is 50 gigs a second, I can tell you it never even gets close; that 50 gig figure is a reference to how much data you can download/upload in a month, NOT to your download and/or upload speed. The download/upload speed depends on to which of the three networks that's available to you on the BYOD Unlimited plan you can connect, 3G, WiMax or LTE. If you have good service, the 3G has a minimum 600kps download/350kps upload speed, the WiMax has a minimum 3 meg per second download/.5 meg per second upload speed, and the LTE has a minimum 6 meg per second download/2 meg per second upload speed.

As for actual performance, keep in mind that Sprint is in the midst of a massive nationwide upgrade. Performance in areas that are undergoing that upgrade (which can last up to, and over, a year) can be WILDLY variable, and frequently dips below minimum spec. My own area, Manhattan, NY, zip 10022, has been in the midst of that upgrade since March, and the experience occasionally has been somewhat frustrating. Here's a typical LTE result in my neck of the woods at the moment:

Here's a typical WiMax result for me recently:

And here's a recent 3G result for me:

As to whether or not this is the performance you will get on any of those three networks, no, that's not what I'm saying. Different phases of the upgrade affect different areas in different ways. What I AM saying is that you shouldn't necessarily expect performance that conforms to the minimum specs I've listed above. In my case, for example, as you can see, my LTE performance has excellent upload speed and download speed that's well below spec. My WiMax performance is comfortably in spec, as you can see, but I can tell you that, for whatever reason, it is virtually unusable on weekends, and I have no idea why. My 3G performance, in general, offers download speed that's usually below spec and upload speed that's usually in spec.

As for whether it's really possible to connect to any of those three networks in your area and get satisfactory performance, there's no way to know absolutely for sure ahead of time.

Which is why I recommend you do the following. Go to a Sprint store and purchase a plan with the Tri-Fi Hotspot and try it out for a few days. The last time I looked into this, Sprint was giving almost a complete refund if you return and cancel within three days, and a partial refund if you return and cancel within fourteen days. During your trial period, experiment and find out to which networks you can connect. If you can confirm that you can connect to at least one of those networks, and if you're getting satisfactory performance, cancel the Sprint plan, go to eBay and buy a Tri-Fi. A good price on eBay for the Tri-Fi is anything under $100, but make sure that the seller is including the USB cable and the AC adapter. Once you have successfully purchased your Tri-Fi, ring up Millenicom and have them assign that Tri-Fi to their BYOD Unlimited plan on the Sprint network and you should be all set.

Unless Millenicom's soft 50-gig cap is too low for your regular usage, about which more below.
said by Bigglesworth:

Thanks for any info and personal accounts. Im also looking into WnW as a possible alternative. 20GB just is unrealistically low. I wish they had a 30GB plan for $70.

I was a very happy Millenicom customer for about a year until I found 50 gigs a month simply wasn't enough. This was due primarily to the fact that, while my surfing habits did not change significantly, web sites ARE changing, dramatically. More and more they are graphics and multimedia heavy, with increased bandwidth-heavy needs. Youtube is a good example of this; their clips are now regularly posted in HD.

Which is why I ultimately made the switch to WnW. I went with their unlimited LTE plan, with the Tri-Fi Hotspot. So far my experience with them has been thoroughly positive, and I can recommend them as unreservedly as I can Millenicom. It really depends on your needs. If you think you will be downloading/uploading more than 50 gigs a month then WnW makes more sense for you. The downside is that they do not offer a BYOD plan, so if you go with them then forget about buying a Tri-Fi on eBay; that won't help you. You have to buy their Tri-Fi Hotspot. The upfront first month's cost is a bit steeper than Millenicom, $315 for everything, the first month's plan, the Hotspot, the activation fee, etc. etc. However, if you stay with them for two years a lot of that gets rebated back to you. So the WnW cost, after those first two years, is roughly the same as Millenicom's non-BYOD plan.

As you can see, there are pluses and minuses for both companies. But both companies are very good, and both deliver what they promise, provided you have good Sprint coverage in your area. (I agree that 20 gigs a month is increasingly absurd given an average user's Internet needs these days.)

Eventually I believe that competition between MVNOs (can someone tell me what that stands for ? thanks) like Millenicom and Wireless 'n' WiFi will lead to a regularizing effect on available plans, an effect which will result in changes like Millenicom perhaps increasing their monthly cap from its current 50 gigs to something higher. Or perhaps WnW will offer a BYOD plan down the road.

Of course, offering higher caps runs smack up against the fact that, with current technologies, effective available bandwidth is actually shrinking, not expanding. But I believe the marketplace will accelerate the development of technologies to confront that challenge. I've posted some thoughts on that matter in another thread at »Lower Data Caps Meet Higher Speeds; Result: KABOOMIE!!! if you, or anyone, would care to comment.

Good luck, whatever you do. I hope the above has been helpful, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or if anything in the above is unclear. You will find most people here very knowledgeable and very helpful.
tcassette
join:2013-01-29
Cleveland, TN

tcassette

A Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) buys bandwidth from major wireless companies and resells it.

+1 on the responses to the OP.

Bandwidth is not the most accurate term, on second thought. The MVNO buys wireless capacity, or service, from the big boys and resells it.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

said by tcassette:

A Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) buys bandwidth from major wireless companies and resells it.

Thank you.
said by tcassette:

+1 on the responses to the OP.

Thank you again!
Bigglesworth
Santa Barbara, CA

Bigglesworth to criggs

to criggs
Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about caps not bandwidth.

Ive come from dialup in 2009 to what I have now, so I still have tricks I use to keep usage low. Things like Ad Muncher; the best ad block you can get. Most Ad blockers simply get rid of the ad frames, but the ad still actually downloads onto your system, and thats completely useless to me. Ad muncher prevents it from ever being downloaded at all. Also with youtube, I watch 360p only rarely. Its usually 240 or even 144p if its a long series where audio is more important. And other things I do to try and keep it low.

Anyway, yes. My problem isnt speed, its usage even with my super cool tricks, 20GB is hard to stay inside. Mills' coverage area tool is being retarded right now, but several months ago I checked my address (out in the sticks here) and I wasnt covered. I got it to work yesterday and everything was green with 'yes' next to it. But Im not convinced, and I cant check again (it seems) so until that tool works Im in doubt of what to do and how to proceed. Sadly I cant really do a $300 upofront cost right now. I think 50G for $80 is worth it but its just sort of all unclear..
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

said by Bigglesworth:

I got it to work yesterday and everything was green with 'yes' next to it. But Im not convinced, and I cant check again (it seems) so until that tool works Im in doubt of what to do and how to proceed. Sadly I cant really do a $300 upofront cost right now. I think 50G for $80 is worth it but its just sort of all unclear..

In that case, I strongly urge you to go to Sprint directly, purchase a plan with a Tri-Fi Hotspot, and test it all out, checking all three networks, for three days, and that should answer your questions. If you can get it to work well on at least one of the networks within that time period, return everything to Sprint for an almost complete refund. Then go to eBay and purchase a Tri-Fi Hotspot for under $100 and make sure that the seller is including the USB cable and the AC adapter. Then go to Millenicom and have them connect your Tri-Fi to their BYOD Unlimited Sprint plan.

And then you should be all set.

Obviously if your three days of tests with the Sprint plan turn out badly you'll need to forget about this whole arrangement and figure out something else.

One possibility if the Sprint network is no good in your area is to get a second Millenicom Verizon Wireless plan, giving you a total of 40 gigs monthly. That is obviously more expensive, $140 a month, and the upfront cost for your second account including that first month of service, if I've figured correctly on the basis of the info at »millenicom.com/plans/#ho ··· pot-plan, is $235, so that's a little stiff too.
Wartrace
join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace to Bigglesworth

to Bigglesworth
I suggest you test out the Sprint service in your area. I agree that 20gb is worthless; I hit that limit on a regular basis when I was on the Verizon 3G plan through Millenicom. I would have never even considered going with 4G if I had to use the Verizon network (through millenicom). I'm on Sprint now and all is good.

Rant on

I really think these wireless carriers need to get more realistic with their pricing models. If you look at the typical cable internet plan they are offering 100+gb per month and they still have to maintain the lines, have installers and support local offices. Wireless providers merely have to support the tower.

I wouldn't mind paying TWICE what cable customers pay but if you look at it wireless customers are being screwed. Comcast offers 300gb of data for 50 dollars a month. This is about .17 cents per GB. Verizon is offering 20gb of data for 70 dollars a month or 3.50 dollars per GB. At least Sprint is offering the data at a more reasonable 1.60 per GB (through Millenicom).

Sure, I understand the premium paid by mobile users but given the choice would home internet users willing pay these prices if they had any other choice? They are screwing rural people.

Rant off

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Your being a Millenicom customer is purely voluntary on your part. You can unsubscribe any time.

Wireless cannot be compared to cable or FiOS and never will be able to compete.
Bigglesworth
Santa Barbara, CA

Bigglesworth

That kind of bad attitude is the same they have. They think they can gouge consumers with high prices and low caps. "Dont like it just leave! LOL" There are almost no other options and the options that ARE around hard difficult to mine out and refine into something usable. Fast of the matter is they could easily go 100GB caps but greed gets in the way. They do not want to update infrastructure, becuse they dont need to because they are monopolies or duopolies in almost every case.

Rants are justified.

Anyway thanks ciggs I will try and check out sprint. I with Millinicon would PROPERLY display this stuff instead of their bs product names. I need to have valid information and they dont supply it unless I go though the ultra fun process of going out of my way and calling them or going through other hoops.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I have no idea of what you said or your point

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I was wondering the same thing. Confused
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal to Bigglesworth

Premium Member

to Bigglesworth
said by Bigglesworth:

That kind of bad attitude is the same they have. They think they can gouge consumers with high prices and low caps. "Dont like it just leave! LOL" There are almost no other options and the options that ARE around hard difficult to mine out and refine into something usable. Fast of the matter is they could easily go 100GB caps but greed gets in the way. They do not want to update infrastructure, becuse they dont need to because they are monopolies or duopolies in almost every case.

Rants are justified.

Anyway thanks ciggs I will try and check out sprint. I with Millinicon would PROPERLY display this stuff instead of their bs product names. I need to have valid information and they dont supply it unless I go though the ultra fun process of going out of my way and calling them or going through other hoops.

Because they are not allowed to publicize the provider . That is in their contract with the carriers.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Also the caps are not set by Millenicom but by the terms of the carriers selling the bandwidth to Millenicom.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs to Bigglesworth

to Bigglesworth
said by Bigglesworth:

That kind of bad attitude is the same they have...Rants are justified.

Couldn't agree more!
said by Bigglesworth:

Anyway thanks criggs

No problem, happy to do it. Let us know how things work out.
Wartrace
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace to Bigglesworth

to Bigglesworth
My rant isn't directed at Millenicom which provides much more generous caps than the carriers, it is directed at the carriers themselves. If anyone has looked at Verizon's "home fusion" plans it is funny to think they believe people will sign up. I am not going to go back and look now to verify but they have a 10,20 and 30 gb tier plan ranging from 60 dollars a month to over 100 dollars a month. 100 a month for 30gb of data is unrealistic.
tcassette
Cleveland, TN

tcassette

I agree that the major carriers, Verizon in particular, have those of us dependent on wireless over a big profit barrel. Like Apple, their products are very pricey compared to the competition (if there is any), but they still have plenty of customers.

(By the way, apparently our regular posters from the Commonwealth get a bit prickly when someone rants, so whatever you do, don't complain.)
Expand your moderator at work
tcassette

tcassette

Re: New Plans?? Long Time Consumer Needs Help With Better Plans

The point being missed or ignored (by some) is that the major carriers determine what the MVNOs like Millenicom charge for their service. The MVNOs could provide larger caps or cheaper prices if their suppliers were amenable. For those MVNOs that resell more than one major carrier (like Millenicom), what is the harm in complaining about high prices in a forum like this if we realize the source of the high cost, i.e., the major carriers?
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

So why rant at Millenicom when they are doing their best and giving folks a decent deal . Easier to go pick on the little kid rather than the big bully that takes you Lunch Money ?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA to tcassette

Premium Member

to tcassette
The question of high cost for service received is perception. Some of us don't consider the cost Millenicom charges to be unreasonable given the value of the service to our needs. Millenicom provides the service I need so I am prepared to pay for it.
tcassette
Cleveland, TN

1 recommendation

tcassette to Max Signal

to Max Signal
Some of us do consider the costs of wireless internet, regardless of supplier, to be high. I suppose the logic from the Millenicom defenders would extend to any of the services supplied by Millenicom as well, such as hardware and the associated software. If there is a problem or something that could be improved, complain to Netgear or Franklin. Wow, then Millenicom won't even need to have technical support!

Or, when shopping for a new car, I guess we should realize that a dealer has no responsibility for pricing, so don't bring it up to them.

Like it or not, people can express their opinion, whether low key or ranting. I, like many others, have learned a lot from participating in this forum. When I don't agree with a posting I am not compelled to snipe at the poster or tell them to go to another forum. Apparently it is "easier to go pick on the little kid rather than the big bully that takes you Lunch Money."
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

My such mis-directed anger . LOL . As far as hardware they only sell what the upstream provider allows them to as well .
Wartrace
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace to Bigglesworth

to Bigglesworth
My rant was in agreement with the original posters comment that 20gb was unreasonable. While it has nothing to do with Millenicom it was in response to the original posters comment. I have agreed that Millenicom provides the best value they can.

Couldcareles
@mycingular.net

Couldcareles to Wartrace

Anon

to Wartrace
LOL, long time lurker, first time (and probably last time) poster.

I feel your pain, I am still mad that I cannot get unlimited gasoline at the gas station

Seriously though, I manage a fleet of ~35 modems for a major insurance company, we use Millenicom some, and others that I dare not mention for fear of being called a heretic, mostly ones that start with a W and a A.

Coverage varies greatly between the carriers, and redundancy as well, and since I often deploy these units to areas affected by recent disasters, redundancy does come into play.

No complaints with Millenicom or the unmentionable W company, they have been good to work with and one even drove to FedEx on a Saturday to get some badly needed modems/routers expedited into a disaster area. The company that starts with a A, not so much, but there are places where they are the only game in town.

I am just glad that these options exist, when I took over this position we had all carrier direct devices and $500 usage bills on occasion (for one modem).

I enjoy the banter here but just don't have time much to participate. I do get a kick out of the Millencom purists though, who rail on someone for mentioning other providers on this forum, but will tout Millencom on the Verizon, Sprint, or any number of other forums.

Someone suggested that the W company should have their own forum, but with 30 or so MVNO's that I know of, that could get messy. Why not just change the name of this forum to "other providers" or "resellers" or some such.

Out
tcassette
Cleveland, TN

tcassette

Great post. Try to participate here more, just for kicks.
Bigglesworth
Santa Barbara, CA

1 recommendation

Bigglesworth

To the people telling others to goto another forums to discuss Verizon/sprint: Please leave. Verizon and sprint are directly involved in this, however we are Millenicom consumers, not Verizon/sprint consumers. Going to verizon/sprint forums does NOTHING to help the discussion about whom we make out our monthly payments.

What you call 'rants' is simple discussion about options and gives Millenicom, or any company really, a general idea of consumer satisfaction.

Here is a thought for you people: If everyone had your attitude of "its good enough dont rant" we would never had places like Millenicom in the first place! Stop trying to censor discussion just because YOU'RE happy with how things are. Just dont post here if you have nothing valid to add that is on topic. Thank you.

And thanks to all the people that did stay on topic, I got a lot of useful information and insight.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

Max Signal

Premium Member

You think Millenicom is not offering the best deal they can within the parameters given to them by the upstream carriers ? Their business model is to give the best deal possible . Heck the upstream carriers have them locked into a non disclosure agreement . They cannot even advertise the value they offer . The Carriers don't dare let them do that or it would ruin their cash cow .
I want more is unwarranted . I want flat fee electricity , gas and water . Not going to happen . Bandwidth is not a infinite resource as some would like to think . The momentum is to metering across the board . I cannot wait to hear the screaming when that starts to hit home .

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

3 edits

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

quote:
New Plans?? Long Time Consumer Needs Help With Better Plans
To be sure I'm staying on topic and posting a valid response I'm also a long time consumer and IMO this is the wrong place for looking for a better plan as Millenicom has the best plans available at this time. The value for cost vs service received is excellent along with the benefit of no contract. I don't think anyone with Millenicom can "help the OP find a better plan".
Expand your moderator at work