join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

3 Steam Announcements

»store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

The first of 3 announcements from Steam was published today

»store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

STEAM OS

Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.
Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.

SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.

It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Living room & Steam
Finally, you don’t have to give up your favorite games, your online friends, and all the Steam features you love just to play on the big screen. SteamOS, running on any living room machine, will provide access to the best games and user-generated content available.

Fast forward
In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases.

Cooperating system
Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.
Four new Steam features focused on the living room.
Available soon in both SteamOS and the Steam client.

In-home Streaming
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Music, TV, Movies
We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online, allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS.

Family Sharing
In the past, sharing Steam games with your family members was hard. Now you can share the games you love with the people you love. Family Sharing allows you to take turns playing one another’s games while earning your own Steam achievements and saving your individual game progress to the Steam cloud.

Family Options
The living-room is family territory. That’s great, but you don’t want to see your parents’ games in your library. Soon, families will have more control over what titles get seen by whom, and more features to allow everyone in the house to get the most out of their Steam libraries.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
This is really cool. I just invested in a new mini gaming system that I intend to plug into my TV in the living room and use Steam Big Picture on it. With this new OS, I am considering installing that on it down the road. I won't be a beta tester though. I will wait until others get the bugs out. I am really looking forward to seeing this though.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
reply to Koil
This is pretty crazy news and leaves one to wonder what the other two announcements are after this blockbuster. o.O

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by Goggalor:

This is pretty crazy news and leaves one to wonder what the other two announcements are after this blockbuster. o.O

Half Life 3, releasing November of 2013.

(I know, I know. Fat chance. But we can still dream)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Koil
Wow, that's awesome, so I guess they're going for a local version of Onlive or something.

I wonder how it works if the resolution on your TV and machine it's streaming from is different.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Koil
The OS sounds pretty interesting. I'll keep an eye out on it and see how it goes. I still use the HTPC for quite a few windows game and don't like the idea of turning on my other PC to play window games on it, but on the other hand, my other PC is also much more powerful and able to run games with much better settings... so if it's smooth enough, I might convert after all instead of dishing out more cash and getting a new hardware for the HTPC.

kcrupp

join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI
reply to Koil
Hmmmmm, SteamOS plus PVR machine...

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Koil
...so Apple TV with games and no netflix... got it.

2/10

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Koil
I guess I'd have to see it in person or some demos or something. I really don't get why I would want to use this.

I can already use Big Picture right now, if I wanted to.

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

...so Apple TV with games and no netflix... got it.

2/10

You must of missed this part.

"Music, TV, Movies
We"re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online, allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS."

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
No I saw it.

It didn't say netflix.. it said "music and video". meaning they want to make a music store.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
TIL: "media services you know and love" = Our own proprietary music store rather than things like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
said by Xioden:

TIL: "media services you know and love" = Our own proprietary music store that doesn't exist yet rather than things like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc.

Fixed it a bit.

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
reply to Koil
"Music, TV, MOVIES ----------
We"re working with many of the media services you know and love."

Seems pretty clear to me. Oh well, we'll see I guess.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Nightfall
Care to share the specs? I need to build a HTPC and Im starting to think I may build it stronger than anticipated to take advantage of certain console-ports like the AC games.

Ratman_84

join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA
reply to Koil
Half Life 3....

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

Wow, that's awesome, so I guess they're going for a local version of Onlive or something.

Sounds more like a Chromecast kind of deal to me. Pretty cool news, thanks for sharing Koil! Also '3 Steam Announcements' - the number 3 is in that title, and there are two words and one number which equals 3. Half Life 3 Confirmed.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
reply to Koil
Slick. Rolling their own optimized linux distro. Does anyone know if it is confirmed to be derived from ubuntu, which is what they were using for their testing and development for source and goldsource conversion?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

Sounds more like a Chromecast kind of deal to me.

So something like Playon or something, where you're streaming to another computer/terminal on the same network?
--

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to Koil
I'm curious why the instant love for the idea.

One of the key features of steam is to make piracy difficult (just like Apple) and to offer cheap games that are easy to buy and install (just like Apple). So this steam box is not going to be the "open" (easily rooted) install and play whatever you can steal (like that Android kickstarter cube whose name I already forget). Steam will want to keep it so you gotta pay them to play, I don't know how but they're going to make a rooted steam box not be a threat to publishers.

If Apple added ipad/iphone games to Apple TV it would be sneered at. Closed system. Walled garden. Yada. Yada. Go google.

But a Steam closed system and walled garden is ok?

is it just because Steam started with the PC game community?

mashi1

@teksavvy.com
said by justin:

is it just because Steam started with the PC game community?

It's because Steam in general has garnered a lot of goodwill towards the PC gaming community. Instead of treating their customers like dirtbags, or a source of ad revenue like Sony and Microsoft have done, they've treated them with respect, and given people good and incredible deals as well as sales.

AKA: Why PC gaming gets away with it. That doesn't mean that there aren't things that need improvements, like being able to sell/trade games you no longer want. But even the new remote friend sharing of games you have installed is league above what consoles have.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
yeah that's what I thought.

So it really isn't about whether or not a product is closed, curated, open, or whatever. Those arguments are just smokescreen. Because PC gaming is getting saved almost single handedly by Steam and their easy to install hard to pirate $4.99 weekend specials (so similar to the Apple solution - pass the huge savings in cost of distribution vs the $59.99 retail box with a cdrom, right back to the consumer).

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by justin:

So it really isn't about whether or not a product is closed, curated, open, or whatever.

It is in part... when I install something from Steam, in most cases it leaves my PC alone to do whatever else I want to do with it, and it does require some obscure DRM scheme it lets me know about it, so I know I'll have to deal with Securom/GFWL/Whatever before I hit the purchase button.

In other words, Steam is "if you must have DRM then this is the DRM for you" and is pretty polite about it.

FYI - The box you were thinking about is the OUYA, I own one, and although I like what it stands for, I haven't really gotten a whole lot of use out it thus far.
--

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by bionicRod:

Sounds more like a Chromecast kind of deal to me.

So something like Playon or something, where you're streaming to another computer/terminal on the same network?

Sounds like it. Although when I'm using Chromecast and I hit pause or whatever on my device there is a discernible lag, less than a second usually but it is there. So if it is the same kind of technology I'm interested in how they will get around that for gaming.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to El Quintron
Hmm, but the argument aimed *at* consoles (or ipads, iphones) and apple TV, is all about how it is a closed system. Not that it is taking over your PC.

Now steam is simply copying their closed system (that can live on a PC) to their own box. If this is accepted with open arms while I can see someone not liking a company I don't see that the oft quoted reasons that it is a closed system holds any water [if they embrace the steam box].

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to justin
Keep in mind that this isn't just about what is running on their box. It is about providing a linux distribution that anyone can download and run on their desktop as well so the experience with steam is seamless whether you are playing on their box, sitting at your tv streaming or playing on your desktop.

We don't yet know that the OS will be locked down. Obviously the steam application, under which the games run, is going to continue to maintain control of steam gaming but it doesn't follow that the steam linux OS is going to lock down control. I think its quite different from the closed walled garden of an apple environment where apple controls everything. I think it is more likely that steam wants a steam OS, not to lock down control but to provide a high performance optimized and consistent base for linux gaming and avoid the myriad complexities of forcing non enthusiasts to deal with installing some particular linux distribution that may be constantly changing/evolving. I'm sure valve doesn't want to have to constantly deal with something breaking or performance changing because a distro pushed out this or that update, etc.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
maybe.

However if Steam have learned how to create a walled garden safely within an open platform, one that continues to function reliably even if people start mucking and modding "their" OS, then that is a technology that Apple (or Sony, or Microsoft) does not possess rather than something they could also allow, but don't because of bloody mindedness.

if you want to sell an "appliance" experience, at least until now, it much be closed. You must have complete control over the updates to it, signed code, and the whole thing. Otherwise it is no longer an appliance but a hobby.

(Mind you my copy of steam quite often fails to start for mysterious reasons and must be re-installed, re-downloaded, cleaned, whatever).

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to justin
said by justin:

Now steam is simply copying their closed system (that can live on a PC) to their own box. If this is accepted with open arms while I can see someone not liking a company I don't see that the oft quoted reasons that it is a closed system holds any water [if they embrace the steam box].

The product is being branded as operating system, so it's going to be hard to say if this going to be a totally locked down dumb terminal or if can be installed on any PC, if it's the latter it will probably be worth investigating.

EQ
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

So if it is the same kind of technology I'm interested in how they will get around that for gaming.

I did a bunch of tests with Onlive back when there was a free trial for it, and I didn't notice a discernible lag, even though the system warned me I might get one by using a WiFi connection.

Do you think the issue was chromecast tech or your internal network?
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to justin
said by justin:

However if Steam have learned how to create a walled garden safely within an open platform, one that continues to function reliably even if people start mucking and modding "their" OS, then that is a technology that Apple (or Sony, or Microsoft) does not possess rather than something they could also allow, but don't because of bloody mindedness.

They don't necessarily need to be able to keep it functioning no matter how people muck with it. They just need a reliable base to return to. So, for example, it might be that enthusiasts can tinker with the OS in whatever way they wish but it is still important that if they break something while tinkering they can then return to the known predictable foundation.