Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

join:2007-01-22
Chicago, IL

[Windows] Ethical Question

So my employer is way out of scope on windows licensing user and connector CAL wise. I am trying and have been trying to get this cleaned up for just over a year, and no one wants to take it seriously because we have another database, that is the 'db of record'. I am at my wits end about it because I want my AD cleaned up.

My question is, should I tell them I am calling MS, and if yes when? Because I think this is going to be the only way they are going to get off the arse to get it clean.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Call the BSA

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to jay608

You might want to provide him some info on what can happen if he gets busted. Then if he still is not willing to fix it and you plan on calling the BSA you will want to start looking for another job ASAP. It will not be hard for the boss to guess who turned him in, thats if he still has a business to fire you from. Or if you just are pissed at him just call, but wait until you get another job. Either way you will most likely be out of a job.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to jay608

The first thing you need to do is get it in writing that you are concerned about this situation and that they need to resolve these problems because of the legal risk.

You can't 'fix' this situation after you receive the nasty letter from the BSA representing lawyers since you need to have official invoices for the software you claim to be using that's dated prior to their letter. Let your employer know that.

said by DarkLogix:

Call the BSA

You have to be careful doing this as the person responsible for installing this software can be on the hook for some of the monetary damages.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to jay608

Take it from somebody who has been down this road with the BSA in 2006:
»jobsearch.monster.com/search/?q=···o__2C-IL

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to jay608

Maybe also in the presentation or telling him of the problem come up with the least expensive way of fixing it. Not just omg we are out of compliance I need lots of cash to fix it. Give the boss a planed out least cost solution also.
Like others said depending on the boss and root cause as in cheap or company broke or maybe the boss just thinks he can get away with it start job hunting.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 edit
reply to jay608

Announcing that you're going to call the BSA (or are threatening to) is a surefire way to end up in the unemployment line. The fact that this option even crossed your mind should give you a reason to stop and think very carefully before doing anything.

Honestly, you've already given up the game by complaining as much as you have about this because even if you don't tell anyone that you have called or will call the BSA, your boss will know it was you based on previous experience.

If you want to keep your existing job, you have to either make compliance more appealing or you'll have to learn to live with being out of compliance and with a non-clean AD. If you're in a non-compliant situation, you should be eying backup job opportunities anyway in case one of the numbskulls who works with you or near you decides to make the call if for no other reason than to score a few bucks and a couple of cheap laughs.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to jay608

Seriously? Call the fuzz on your own (soon to be ex) employer???

Put your opinions in some emails, don't tell people that make the decisions what to decide... just explain what the rules are and that you just wanted to make sure everyone knew (and it sounds you have already done this multiple times) so they are "covered" and let it go from there. If nobody cares then you have it in writing that you tried to do the right thing. If it bugs you so much... find another job and leave without doing a darn thing about it. Ruining your reputation/hire-ability (in a future employer's eyes) is not worth being proud and right... those don't pay the rent.

MS probably knows who they should audit... if they do or don't is not your problem and it should NOT affect your income.

Let it go bro

--

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Call the BSA

I don't think the Boy Scouts of America handle that sort of thing.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by howardfine:

said by DarkLogix:

Call the BSA

I don't think the Boy Scouts of America handle that sort of thing.

LOL
I hear they get a merit badge for "taking out the trash"
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX
reply to jay608

Present a formal proposal to fix the problem and list price and consequences of not doing anything and getting busted. Your job is to find these kinda of things and point them out to be fixed, if he doesnt want to, you have already done the right thing by identifying the problem, and providing paths for solutions.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to jay608

I don't get why you said

said by jay608:

I want my AD cleaned up

getting the legal stuff sorted shouldn't have an effect on how good/bad your AD is setup.
--
semper idem

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

said by DarkLogix:

I don't get why you said

said by jay608:

I want my AD cleaned up

getting the legal stuff sorted shouldn't have an effect on how good/bad your AD is setup.

Maybe his entire domain is pirated and that is what he is referring to?
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

Chicago, IL

No my domain is not pirated in anyway. I am way over on my user CALs, as I stated, and no one wants to assist me in cleaning it up by going to the 'DB of record'. Its a long and convoluded story that I would rather not get into.

But my choice has been made and I will eat crow for now.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

said by jay608:

No my domain is not pirated in anyway. I am way over on my user CALs, as I stated, and no one wants to assist me in cleaning it up by going to the 'DB of record'. Its a long and convoluded story that I would rather not get into.

Ahh, okay. I didn't mean "pirated" in like tehpiratebay but more like "Hey, I have this one Windows 7 Pro key, let's use it on five boxes."

It can be tough and aggravating. I know what you're going through. Been there, done that, got a new job. Sometimes it pays to tough it out and steer the ship in the right course, other times it pays to take that experience, depart on good terms, and move to bigger and better pastures and then follow up with a friend who still works for that company 7 years later and find out their entire IT system went to sh*t and a corrupt VP has been fired.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to jay608

said by jay608:

So ya its not a AD is dirty but a legal requirement is not properly met issue.
--
semper idem

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

Chicago, IL

Correct. The AD is dirty in a different way though (something I am getting cleaned up)

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

Chicago, IL
reply to jay608

Apparently I barked up the right tree somewhere. A cleanup (disabling and removing) accounts is starting to happen.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by jay608:

Apparently I barked up the right tree somewhere. A cleanup (disabling and removing) accounts is starting to happen.

And you still have a job!!! Excellent.