All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123

iPhone 5 LTE better signal than MIFI device

I have a good antenna plugged up to my 4620L mifi device and it gets decent signal. Without antenna it gets no signal.

On the other hand, my iPhone 5 when used as a personal hot spot, with no external antenna gets double the speeds of the mifi device. Something about that doesn't seem right. I don't want to use my phone as my mifi device. I bought the mifi device to use it as that.

The upload speeds can be around 11MB. The upload speeds with antenna on mifi device can be 5MB. Both of them are on LTE. Both of them have 2 bars of service. But it runs my phone dead using it as my mifi device.

Why is this? When are they going to make a mifi device that has an antenna as strong as the iphone 5 and allow external antenna's? Or do they already? Everyone still says the mifi device I have is the best one available. But my phone out does it every single time.

I'm hoping the new Verizon mifi devices have better antenna's. A phone shouldn't be outperforming it, especially with a good external antenna on it. Like I said, no external antenna, no service at all. iPhone 5, no external antenna, amazing 4G LTE service.

Does anyone know anything about the other mifi devices? I may change mifi devices if I can get one that performs like my iphone 5 does.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

How much did the phone cost and how much did the mifi cost? Wasn't the phone about $600 more? Does that answer your question? I think you should get an outside antenna to mount on the roof to get a stronger signal for the mifi.
pioneer56
join:2008-03-21
Michigan

pioneer56 to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
I would think that the Iphone would have a newer and better radio for it than the mifi. Personally, I found the 4260l to be junk! I have two other modems and they both smoke the mifi. The don't drop connections randomly or have large signal variances. And their speeds are much better in the same location I had the mifi. So I think that if you have a good phone with a newer radio, it should do better.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

How much did the phone cost and how much did the mifi cost? Wasn't the phone about $600 more? Does that answer your question? I think you should get an outside antenna to mount on the roof to get a stronger signal for the mifi.

Not apples to apples there (no pun intended).. Mifi just shares data and thats it.. Iphone does multiple things etc, but the mifi only has one job and apparently its failing at that for some reason.. I'm guessing its what another said. The wireless equipment in the newer phone is better/more efficient than that of the router.. If I paid 600 for just a router that thing better cook me dinner, talk dirty to me and pay my bills some how...